Given all the fuzz about the 2001 Brunelli I couldn't resist to open one last night......
Glad I did! It became a great experience.

• 2001 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (2/10/2007)
    Deep dark ruby color. Full aroma's of (black) berries, currant and salmiak (don't know the english word for this!) with spicey undertones. Following trough full bodied on the palate with great mouthfeel, loads of fruit and smoothness. This is one wine you feel you can almost eat! Refined tannines and great overall structure suggesting a long life ahead. Loooong finish that keeps going. Imminently drinkable right now, can hardly wait to let it evolve more, which it will definetly do over the next 10-20 years.
    I'm not so experienced with 95+ pts wines But this is one of the best wines I've ever had. I give it 97pts to leave some headroom for future experiences.

I did not decant this wine. It showed all of the above mentioned glory after no more than 15 minutes in the glass last night. It is still going strong this afternoon, day after. Perhaps with slightly more complexity and refinement.

WOW! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by zangerzone:
Must NOT open it now. Must NOT open it now. Grrrr. Can't do it. Having it tonight. Damn my weak will power to resist temptation.

zangerzone,

Hey, go ahead and take one for the team! Wink

Look forward to reading your tasting note TOMORROW. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I've never had PC fail to deliver an order, however I've NEVER had them surprise me with quick delivery on pre-orders.

I was quite surprised when most of my pre-release '01 Brunello from PC were in by May. I don't understand how it could take this long to get something. The '01s were released last year at this time. Worst case scenario they sit in a warehouse in Italy until Nov, then another two months tops to get them over.

Maybe it's taking PC longer than they expected to get the inks just right for their labels, and to find the exact bottle that Valdicava uses. Big Grin
Never realised I would be touching such a sensitive topic.....
But I agree, its impossible to stay away from drinking such a great wine. And now I know by my own experience how great it is. Its at times like this that I really value the fact that my long term storage is not at my own house, but at quite some distance! so, its impossible for me to just grab one of the other bottles.

Louzarius, great for you that you can't touch these bottles yet! "every disadvantage has its advantage" as Johan Cruyff (a famous Dutch Soccer player) once said.
There's simple DRABbing and then there's DRABbing with an Intent to Encourage DRABbing.

You just DRABIED, Jochems.

Sounds so good...

Premier Cru is oddly slow with some things. Here are "unarrived" bottles I'm nervous about:

---an extra bottle of '03 Leoville Barton ordered 1/26/2006

---an '01 Fantino Sori Ginestra Barolo from 8/29/2005

---'01 Bodegas Abel Mendoza Monge Jarrarte from 8/16/2005

---'03 Pegau Reserve Chat du Pape from 7/6/2006

I would have expected them all to be here by now.

I will dream of my undelivered Valdicava in the meantime...
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
Given all the fuzz about the 2001 Brunelli I couldn't resist to open one last night......
Glad I did! It became a great experience.

[LIST]
  • 2001 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (2/10/2007)
    Deep dark ruby color. Full aroma's of (black) berries, currant and salmiak (don't know the english word for this!)

• It's licorice.

Danke, Jochems for the posting.

I'll be checking it out.

My favorite "food" like, big red at the moment is Henry's Drive Shiraz Padthaway Reserve 2000.
    I can agree with Jochem's observations about the Valdicava. An absolutely superb wine.

Having purchased several bottles late last year, I decided to open one (as one of several various bottles opened that evening) for a NY's Eve dinner with close friends and fellow wine collectors (isn't that one reason we purchase great wines?). We were all anxious to try this 'young' and begin to follow it's growth over the next several years. After about 5 hours of allowing it to 'breathe' we consumed. Truly monumental! Though understandably young and still 'tight'. An INCREDABLY long, fantastic finish. It just seems to go on forever.

I strongly believe the 2001 Valdicava will truly be one of the best Brunellos ever.... If you have this in your cellar, be confident you won't be disappointed Smile
    Opened a bottle today:

• 2001 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/27/2007)
      Deep ruby color. Full aroma's of black fruit with hints of licorice, a bit less pronounced than the previous bottle.Full bodied on the palate, smooth and silky with layers of refined tanines. A long finish.
      Must be entering the sleeper zone right now. I'm glad that I tasted it some time ago. Otherwise I would have had some doubts on this wine. Still plenty of attraction, but not the ultra full body and refinement that I tasted on the previous encounter.

I'll let this one sleep until somebody convinces me that it has come back to life again! I expect that I will have to wait at least 5 years. Drink 2012 - 2020. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I would say, slightly dissapointing this time. In particular compared to the Ilatraia '03 we had later during the dinner.
    This bottle was opened as part of the "online offline" about 2001 Brunelli.

• 2001 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/12/2010)
      This bottle was opened 9 hours before dinner. 2 hours after opening the bottle I took a glass to check how it was doing. And at that moment it was already very much open for business. These notes where taken 7 hours later:

Deep ruby color, not as dark as I remember it. Not even the slightest hint of ambering yet. Expressive aromas of blackberry, dark cherry leather and licorice with some hints of allspice. Following trough to a full and lush body with lots of dark fruit, silky smooth tannins against a strong backbone of fresh acidity. Rounded of by a very long finish that seems to last for minutes!

I was a bit ambivalent about this wine 3 years ago. With some serious doubts about this being the extraordinary wine that the points (both RP and WS) suggest. But now its really starting to open up and starting to show that typical black fruit+cherry+leather profile that I love so much about Brunello. And considering all the debate about this wine not being a real Brunello, I would say: If it smells like a Brunello and it tastes like a Brunello it IS a Brunello:-)

This is a big Brunello and it is very enjoyable right now, and was a perfect pairing with the Ragù di cinghiale. But I expect that it will continue to improve for some time with even some upward potential. And it surely has a long life ahead. Drink now - 2020 (at least!) (95 pts.)

Too young? Nah Cool
    I just saw the listing in the other thread and thought, "What a minute! I never saw Jochem's TN!" This went right by me.

GREAT notes, Jochems. This is one of my very favorite BdMs for 2001 and to read these notes after letting my several bottles sleep all this time, makes me want to check in on one now. I first opened one bottle when I first purchased and was truly Wow'd. A HUGE Brunello at the time it grabbed my attention at the time like no BdM before that.

I look forward to opening one...soon. Thanks again. Smile
    I guess I sneaked this one in here without attracting any attention Big Grin

The odd thing is that I was actually sort of relieved when we drank this bottle. Somehow I was prepared for a disappointment......

I've only 4 bottles left and will wait a little more before I open the next one. This might develop into something even more excellent!
    quote:
    Originally posted by stickman:
    Thanks for the update. This is one I'm struggling to resist opening. The '01s seem to have that enviable quality of being able to be enjoyed now but still have great, apparent upside potential.

If you have more than (1), go for it! You will not be disappointed. I popped one of my '04's recently, and it was another reminder as to why this is my favorite Brunello. Awesome stuff!
    Tomtom,

Thanks for the update! I haven't touched these since the '10 offline, and I guess I will wait until the next stew-season before I do!
    Based on various other '01 Brunelli that I have had, this vintage is maturing faster than '99. I think many of them are approaching their drinking window. Some of them (Antinori, Barbi) never entered a sleeper phase, at least not in my cellar.
    Thanks for the hint Kevin. I might give it a try soon Cool

I have barely found time to visit this forum over the past year. The notification system brought me back today.

Let me take the opportunity to wish all Brunellophiles a happy new year!

Based on various barrel tastings and some great Rosso '10 I've had, I expect a superb '10 Brunello vintage to be released this year. That is something I'm really looking forward to experience this year.

And maybe see some of you in Montalcino Wink
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jochems:
    Thanks for the hint Kevin. I might give it a try soon Cool

I have barely found time to visit this forum over the past year. The notification system brought me back today.

Let me take the opportunity to wish all Brunellophiles a happy new year!

Based on various barrel tastings and some great Rosso '10 I've had, I expect a superb '10 Brunello vintage to be released this year. That is something I'm really looking forward to experience this year.

And maybe see some of you in Montalcino Wink

Glad to see you are still alive!! Wink

Happy New Year.
    The Old Man posted:

A little disappointing. Muted nose, fruit suppressed and a long, but uninteresting finish.

Sounds like TCA.  At least the muted/suppressed comments.   This is a fairly ripe and dense wine based on my experience last year.  TOM, do you have any more of these?

PH

I've been going through a case and "muted nose" is definitely not a descriptor I would use.  Ripe, dense and powerful definitely. Unfortunately it must have been a bad bottle. 

Another thing could be air time. Sometimes these wines need a few hours to show. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)