TN: 2001 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese

Vino Me brought this highly rated (WS 95P) German riesling to last night's off-line at Mykha's. It was tasted blind vs. 2 other rieslings from Michigan and Alsace.

Pale straw color. The nose was dominated by a sulfurous well-water aroma (which is not atypical for German Rieslings in this age bracket). Delicious overripe peach flavors abound in the mouth. A gushing fruit cocktail that splashes over into the finish, where the acidity and structure are slightly overwhelmed at the moment. A precocious little filly that should balance out into something very classy over time. 92+P

Thanks for sharing this one, VM!

Cheers,

Otis
Original Post
This wine was in a dumb phase. It was still very enjoyable to drink; but, was not showing all it could be. Aromas of sulpher on the nose and spritzy when I first opened it. I then splash decanted it before I took it to the restaurant. Mineral and gravelly character. Tropical fruits with lemon notes on this moderately sweet wine. A thick finish with balanced acidity. 91-93+ points.

The best thing about this wine was that I purchased it for $15 on preorder.

VM

[This message was edited by Vino Me on Jul 26, 2004 at 11:16 AM.]
2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/29/2008)

I took a bottle of this to Hawaii when my wife and I visited Haggis and his wife. WS gave this wine 95 points. What a gorgeous wine. A whiff of petrol on the nose. This had a slight spritz at first. The wine showed excellent purity and balance. Notes of wets stones, citrus and peaches. Fine finish. Just now starting to show the depth and complexity from an aged Prum. 94 points.

VM
Just a quick update on this wine.

2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/27/2016)

Opened by R2D2 last weekend when he came into town. Pale straw color. Petrol aromas. Similar notes as before. Holding up well. 93 points.

VM

2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/20/2018)[/i]

4th time I have had this wine. The cork was slightly elevated on this bottle and came out in 2 pieces. I bought these on futures back in 2002 for $14 per bottle. This bottle has certainly progressed and morphed into a very deep and intricate wine. Golden yellow color. Sweet petrol aromas. Notes of ripe pears, starfruit and apricots. Full bodied with an unctuous finish. In a very nice spot now. 94 points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)