2001 Elderton Command Shiraz – Barrossa, Australia $69.99/$61.99
Decanted 2 hr’s. Rich nose of blackberry and spice. Deep, rich and intense blackberry flavors that starts with a nice blended core of spice and dark chocolate with just a hint of violet and blueberry while the chocolate grew stronger and dominated the spice as the evening evolved. This has a very supple, velvet smooth, and round mid-palate texture with a nice long, lingering finish. Recommend cellaring at least 2 more years. S95 6/24/2005
Original Post
GreenDazi: Lovely note!

I always want to try this wine. I thought that I would be able to find it in Singapore when I arrived yesterday, but to my disappointment the store has not yet brought the wine here.

So, I bought a bottle of 2000 Command instead. I'm looking to drink it this weekend, and it will be my third bottle of the 2000...

DP Wink
Had this again on 7/31/2005 and scored it a 96 against several other powerhouse Aussie Shiraz’s. Great stuff – lots of decanting required.
I would think that a wine as big as this would need a minimum of 5 years, if not 7-10, to show its best. But others like big chewy Aussie reds young, so as ever, to each her/his own! Smile
bman,
I agree that this will show best in 5 - 10 years - I even said 2yrs minimum. So what’s your point?
My first bottle and tasting note was to determine if I should by more - I did. The second bottle was requested for a Shiraz dinner and I happily obliged. It was great to taste this against other 95-99 point Shirazs/Syrahs and most of them were young as well. I encourage everyone to try the wines they invest in.
GD: I wasn't really disagreeing with you, and meant no offence, hence the final comment and graemlin.....

If one has lots of money and/or bottles of a given wine, of course they should be tried as early and often as one likes. I rarely have enough of either, and expect that applies to most posters here, so I always try to hold a wine until it peaks. My comment was general point to all, not necessarily to you alone, that in my view a wine this big is rarely at its best so young, but as I said, to each his/her own....
Had this last night and all I have to say is WOW!

Got a 6 pack of this from a friend and will be going back for more. This is absolutely incredible stuff.

Looks like liquid tar in a glass it is soooo dark. The aromas just leap out of the glass. Taste is extrodinary. Hints of chocolate and coffee for some reason. fully loaded with fruit and can definately age for a while. I was suprised that it was drinking so well right now.

Mav rating: 96 points, maybe more in the future as it develops
guys - i had this last year and felt it was almost too overpowering. i definitely agree that it is a well made wine, but it overwhelmed everything we ate, including the lamb Eek

anyone else have this impression or is my palate simply not built for this style of shiraz?
finished this bottle off tonight. The 2nd day, the wine really opened up. Straight from the bottle. Too lazy to decant. The chocolate flavours were muted by the loads (or should I say oodles) of fruit, tannins were much more mellow this time around. Very juicy and the finish seems longer than yesterday. About 30 seconds. A little hot at the finish as well. Didn't notice this yesterday.

A fine wine none the less. Score still stands. This wine will age gracefully in the cellar. Can't wait to try one next year
quote:
Originally posted by maverickdrinker:
Had this last night and all I have to say is WOW!

This is absolutely incredible stuff.

Looks like liquid tar in a glass it is soooo dark. The aromas just leap out of the glass. Taste is extrodinary. Hints of chocolate and coffee for some reason. fully loaded with fruit and can definately age for a while. I was suprised that it was drinking so well right now.

Mav rating: 96 points, maybe more in the future as it develops

Fully agree with your 96 pts! Have this right now in the glass - a blockbuster!
This shiraz practically changed my life.
I recently tried the 02' and felt it did not compare. I asked Mr. Ashmead if I drank it too soon and he assured me no. I know my two bottles spent the weekend at UPS so I will have to try my remaining bottle plus another directly from a wine shop cellar to make a clearer evaluation

As for the 01', it's one of the best wine's I have had a privledge of trying.

GOOOULET!!!
2001 Elderton Shiraz Command - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (10/3/2006)

This was poured at a retailer tasting last week. Among my favorite wines poured at this event. A big broad expansive wine with tons of fruit. The tannisn were fine and not overpowering. A hint of mint on the nose. Notes of crushed grape skin, boysenberry and plum. Full bodied and a long finish. Under better circumstances this could have scored higher. 92-93+ points.

VM
VM - when do you see this reaching its peak? - or is it there now? If the later, how many more years does it have?
Based on the bottle I tried, drink it now and give it some decanting first. however, it should drink well for many years to come.

VM
Had this last night at a dinner, along with the 2003 Fisher Vineyards Cameron and the 2004 (I think) Shafer 1.5.

This was the second bottle, and happened (Smile) to come along just in time for my bone in filet. This is a really nice bottle of juice. Very dark color, with dark fruit, some coffee and some spice in the nose. First couple of sips, without dinner, were very good, but with noticeable tannin structure that would make me think that, as a stand alone drinker, this could easily go 2-4 more years before hitting its stride, but,oh, with the steak, it was great.

Good powerful mouthfeel and texture in the mouth,standing up to the filet and carrying through to a finish of about 30-45 seconds. I will admit that of the 3 bottles with dinner, I filled my glass more than my fair share on this bottle (less so with the 1.5, which was way too young and needs several years of burying to come through).

This was(is) my first Command, and I will definitely be seeking more out. EDW - 95-96+

Dale
  • 2001 Elderton Shiraz Command - Australia, South Australia, Barossa (1/20/2007)
    TWC 3-Year Anniversary Dinner (Chez Splat, Markham, Canada): Opaque dark ruby/black colour. Aromas of alcohol, mint, blackberry, raspberry, and vanilla. Full-bodied, rich, lovely acidity, with vanilla, blackcurrant, raspberry, coffee/toffee. Lots of silky tannins, but everything is in balance. Moderate-long finish, 40+ seconds, with dark fruit. Will be fantastic with additional cellaring. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
wonderful opaque colour with a hint of brick starting to emerge; bouquet is quite elegant and refined

this wine has really come together; no hint of tannins at all; smooth, silky on the palate with a beautiful combination of flavours that linger in your mouth to enjoy

pure liquid pleasure; quite enjoyable now but has the stuffing to last a few more years
Geez mav, Command and Dead Arm and Signature all at once? Eek Even I think that's a lot of big chewy Oz red. You must be still scraping the tannins from your teeth. Hope you had them with some red meat grilled rare. If not raw.... Wink Big Grin
I've had the 2001 Command several times now and don't find it tannic. It's lush, tannins are resolved. This wine is good to go and I don't see it improving much.
Don't be a hater, w+a. I don't own any, but it's an enjoyable wine that friends have opened several times - specifically basecadet and maverickdrinker.

I will get my pimp stick if necessary. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Geez mav, Command and Dead Arm and Signature all at once? Eek Even I think that's a lot of big chewy Oz red. You must be still scraping the tannins from your teeth. Hope you had them with some red meat grilled rare. If not raw.... Wink Big Grin

When I was planning my dinner, I thought it might be a bit over the top to bring these 3 together at one sitting.

I was pleasantly suprised that all of the wines were singing in harmony. Great integration and starting to get some secondary notes developing.

Great threesome. lol

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.