Skip to main content

• 2001 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/22/2007)
    Bought some bottles, entirely against my personal rule to never buy €15+ wines whithout tasting it. But some members of the WS forum convinced me.
    Well, I gues I have to thank them for that!

Initially quite closed. After about 3 hours in the bottle:

Ruby color, less dark than the regular BdM '01. Beautifully complex aromas of blackcurrant, cherry, blackberry and ripe plum with floral hints, cedar and dried fruits evolving in the glas. Following trough full bodied with lots of fruit, a fresh and round acidity balance and layers of ultra refined tanins. Seamlessly evolving into a crisp and lingering finish. WOW! this is impressive. Still very young, great to drink now, but even more potential in about 5-8 years time.
    I had the last glas on the third day. Still lively and balanced. Classic Brunello and build to last! Drink 2012 - 2051(!).

Its hard for me to judge right now, but this wine could develop into the 98-100pts range for me when secundairy notes will develop and the lively acidity and tanins smoothen out. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jochems, I have tasted the '01 Riserva 3 different times (beginning in Sept. '06 with Andrea Costanti) and it has been special each time. Your notes are a great descriptor of this wine. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I agree with you that the wine is a high 90 pointer. Interestingly, when I asked Andrea when he felt the wine would be at its peak he said in 25-30 years. He is just beginning to drink his 1988 normale and said the 1983's were peaking now. In my opinion, the higher elevation of his vineyards lead to Costanti wines taking longer to fully develop than producers that have vineyards in the south and at lower altitudes. The '01 Riservas from Costanti and Fuligni are 2 of my top 3 BdM's from this great vintage.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Jochems,
Thanks for the notes; 'much appreciated.

Longboarder,
So if the Fuligni and Costanti Riservas are 2 of your top three, what's the other? We seem to have similar tastes, so I'm curious to know your impressions of the '01s.

The other is the '01 Soldera Case Basse. I also like the Ciacci, Lisini (both Ugolaia and normale), and the Camigliano Gualto.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.