Pleasant, if somewhat simple wine. Deep, dark color, big bodied, nice aromas of crushed plums. Sweet and spicey ripe fruit that coats the mouth in a nice way. This is one of those pleasant, no fuss wines. Drink up. 84 pts.

You may know Tres Sabores usual release: three zins sold together, each made from the same vineyard but farming and winemaking done by three different winemakers. I was told by Julie Johnson, owner of Tres Sabores, that “Porque no?” was the answer to what to do with the leftover zin -- “Why not” make more wine? Purchased for ~ $18 at the St Helena Farmers Market.

Make Cab, not War.
Original Post
I found it to be more enjoyable than you did - impressively fruity. Had it after a bottle of 1999 Magnificat last night. A nice contrast to the elegance of the meritage. I would give the zin an 88. The other Tres Sabores zins are very nice; bought a mixed case last month.
Didn't mean to give the impression that the wine was subpar -- an 84 is a quite respectable score in my book with an 80 being barely above average and moving up from there. I liked this wine.

Make Cab, not War.
I find that often how much a wine is enjoyed depends upon the circumstances of its consumption. My wife and I had a private tasting with Julie Johnson at Tres Sabores - she spent an hour and 15 minutes with us, with generous pours of all 4 of her wines in Riedel Bordeaux style glasses. Each bottle I open will rekindle fond memories. And I do love a big, fruity zin.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.