Skip to main content

After our Aussie/New Zealand tasting last Friday, Otis got permission to go out to dinner with my wife and I so we went back to my house before heading to the restaurant. I opened this bottle while we were waiting since Otis said he had never had a top Cru Beaujolais. This was the second time I have had this wine. The first time was a year ago and I gave it a 92 at the time. WS and WA both gave this 90 points.

I'm not sure this wine shown as well as it could because we drank it right after some heavy Aussie Shiraz and Cabs (including the Penfolds 707). If you are not familiar with the style the wine can come off thin and one dimensional so I'm not quite sure what Otis thought. We shall see soon.

This producer is one of the Gang of Four producers in Beaujolais from the Morgan Appellation whose role model is Jules Chauvet. Their vineyards are organically grown, planted with old vines and held to low yields. Lapierre's winemaking is minimalist, with no de-gassing, fining, chemicals or filtering prior to bottling. His wines are a throwback to what wines tasted like 100 years ago.

The wine was a rose red color. Clear with no sediment. Aromas of vanilla and raspberry. The first sip revealed a smooth silky wine with lush, ripe fruit. Mostly plum and black cherry but it had an earthiness also. Fruity and refreshing but this is not your typical Beaujolais. The big difference for me was a purity of flavor. It was delicate and at the same time well rounded. 91 points.

VM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

VM,

This was a nice choice for a pre-dinner wine, especially since we agreed that we wanted something light and refreshing after being assaulted with American oak at the Aussie tasting.

I was worried about the Beaujoalis when taking my first sniffs, it started off smelling like a landfill at noon in mid-August. But that blew off after 10 minutes, and revealed black pepper, dried flowers, and blackberry notes. I got a trace of bitterness on the palate, sort of like pickle juice, but otherwise it was quite enjoyable.

I will have to try more Beaujolais to understand the style more coherently. On a pure rating scale (with utter ignorance of the varietal typicity of gamay), I'd give it 87-88P.

Cheers,

Otis
My wife made some spicy beef stir fry last evening and wanted a red wine. After consulting a wine and food pairing guide I opened this bottle. This was the 3rd time I have tried this wine and after opening this bottle I have 1 left.

R2-D2 stopped over so that his puppy and our new puppy could play (sometimes fight) and stayed for dinner. I had him try this wine blind with dinner and asked him to guess the varietal (all he knew was that it was a Burgundy shaped bottle). He did not know the grape, country, age or anything else. I thought a little practice for the upcoming Chicago Wine Mafia vs. Ohio River Vino's challenge was in order. Congratulations are in order because he correctly guessed that this was a Beaujolais on his first attempt. His guess was not as easy as it seems because this wine has undergone an interesting change since the last time I tried it.

This wine continues to impress. Gone is much of the fruity character this wine once showed. It has become more earthy and Burgundian. It displays notes of chocolate and a nuttiness. Still elegant and exceedingly smooth. This change has only enhanced my opinion that this is the best Beaujolais I have ever had. A nice match with the stir fry also. Still 91 points.

VM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.