Decanted 4 hours...needs more time.

Dark, deep garnet. The cabernet was very upfront with aroma of saddle leather, cocoa, and chocolate. Loaded with fruit on very soft tannins with a lingering finish of raspberries and red fruit. Velvety finish and sweet tannins that lasts and lasts. Should've bought more...
Original Post
Marc,

I would buy it at at that price. Over a hundred here.

I haven't tasted it of course but I usually love it.

I would recommend holding it for a little longer than awyan though. Smile

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`
Thanks GA, and your certainly right! But while it can be very interesting and instructive to drink young wines in their fruit-phase (I recently had an unforgettable Latour 2000 with Tsunami & friends), I would certainly not decant it! Either you enjoy the young fruit or you keep it for a decade. It is an interesting phenomenon I sometimes encountered that when you decant such a great young wine for too long, you just shift it into its dumb phase. It will most certainly dry out and the tannins will overpower all the fruit.

Anche Dio è di-vino
I bought two cases of Lynch-Bages at Costco for $54.99 each. . . . .I just had to drive to Fresno to do it. Wink

Here with a little Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse - and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

--Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
PE, I posted my Costco experience in the Costco thread. . . Basically I made a speed run with my in-laws to Fresno, and they didn't even mention the 3 bottle limit. They hadn't even put the wine on the floor! But I have no idea how good it is; we don't plan on popping any bottles until 2008-2010.

Here with a little Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse - and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

--Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
Tasted recently at a K&L tasting...

my note from 2003:

Dark purple/black color. This is the darkest Lynch I've ever seen! Wonderful rich casis, bittersweet chocolate, and plenty of tannin. This is going to be a blockbuster in 20-30 years.

Since this note, I've also had 2 very Bretty bottles. I'm happy to say that this recent K&L tasting was very much like the above note. I would add dark cherry and blueberry pie, graphite, and toasty oak to the mix. I'd say 95+ on the good examples of this wine. It's probably the best Lynch ever made. Although a good '61 is classic...Delicious.
2000 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/21/2018)

First time trying this since 2003. I purchased this at Costco on release for $54. Decanted 5 hours before dinner. Moderately sedimented. Crimson red color. Aromas of saddle leather. Tight when first opened. Notes of beef blood, iron and cassis with an earthy texture. Firm tannins. Silky finish. Still very early in its drinking window. 94+ points.

VM
Brought one to a 2000 Bordeaux event last Monday with my regular group. Fortunately 2nd time tried within the past year. Only gave half hour double decant before arriving. Then into decanter at restaurant Beautifully balanced tannins well integrated, an excellent showing and no doubt at beginning of drinking window. Glad I have 3 left.

Add Reply

Likes (0)