• 2000 La Spinetta Barolo Vürsù Campe' - Barolo, Langhe, Piedmont, Italy (11/3/2004)
    Today my CellarTracker! web site received some nice coverage from the Wall Stree Journal, and the site saw about 30 times as much traffic as a normal day with more than 300 people creating new account, 20% growth in a single day. I had plans to get other things done, but I ended up spending a nonstop 8 hour stretch reviewing new wines, answering questions and trading email with a fresh and excited crop of wine enthusiasts. It was a long day, and I needed a special wine to unwind with and slow down. I was reaching for a 1982 Talbot, but my dinner choice of meatloaf and shredded/sauteed brussel sprouts seemed like a very poor match. However, Nebbiolo seemed like a better choice...

Wow, this is an utter monster. On popping the cork it was formidably tight, but with an hour in the decanter it was oozing with asphalt, violet and initial notes of extremely ripe plums. In the mouth this is deeply tannic with very impressive acidity, but it also regales the palate with rich, bittersweet waves of blackberry and raspberry along with loads of inner mouth perfume. On this finish this turns black, brooding and chewy and shows that this needs a decade to round into form with sticky tannins that glue your teeth to your gums. Very impressive structure here! There is nothing subtle about this young lion of a wine, but it awfully enjoyable. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker!
Original Post
Congrats on the mention, Eric. There's no doubt your software is worthy of high praise.

Please try to remember us little guys who joined before the deluge when you sell your site for millions. Maybe anyone who joined prior to Nov 3, 04 gets free membership for life? C'mon, cut the small guy a break!
2000 La Spinetta Barolo Vürsù Campe'

This was being poured at the WS Grand Tour in May. Simply the best red wine at that event. Aromas of tahitian vanilla and tar on the nose. Rather upfront wine with excellent fruit character. This is the 1st vintage of this Barolo from Spinetta who has produced Barbaresco in the past. Lip smacking flavors. It had a very unique sweet/sour component. Deep and complex. Excellent. 96-97 points.

VM
2000 La Spinetta (Rivetti) Barolo Vürsù Vigneto Campè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (6/21/2011)

Opened with family. 2nd time I have had this. Excellent wine. it was changed quite a bit since the last time I had it. Still has firm tannins and a dark brooding structure. Modern style barolo. Going strong. The sweet/sour character was not present anymore. 95 points.

VM
Thanks for the update. Spinetta, Sandrone, and Clerico, for me, represent modern Piedmont winemaking that still tastes Italian. (Well, mostly -- Spinetta can get a little over-the-top.) If you get a chance to try the '01 of this wine, do it. I'd love to read your thoughts and comparisons.
2000 La Spinetta (Rivetti) Barolo Vürsù Vigneto Campè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/2/2013)

Opened by Allred. 3rd time I have had this wine. Turning a little more acidic. Notes of earthy red fruit and smoke. This wine just did not seem to open up like the previous 2 bottles I had. Perhaps more decanting would have helped. I still have 2 bottles so I'l be able to check on this at a later date. 91-92 points

VM

2000 La Spinetta (Rivetti) Barolo Vürsù Vigneto Campè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (6/20/2018)[/i]

4th time I have had this wine. I opened and decanted it about 2 hours before the offline dinner at an Italian restaurant. This was the first year that Spinetta made a Barolo and I recall that the experts gave it high marks (WS98, Gambero Rosso 3*, WA94). Some bricking around the edges of this crimson wine. Aromas of asphalt and a little vanilla. It has softened over the years and is more rounded now. Notes of forest floor, earthy red berries and dried mushrooms with some oak on the finish. Integrated and supple tannins. 94 points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)