• 1999 E. Fuligni (Cottimelli) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/24/2007)
    Dark ruby red core , transparent, garnet rim, powerful nose of red cherry, coffee, bitter chocolate, light smoke.
    Med tannins and acidity, med body, full flavor of again ripe red cherry, coffee, hint of stew fruits (red/dark). Nicely done and lovely balance.
    Needs some time to open. Long and intense finish. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
The oldest Fuligni wines I've had were the 1995 Brunello and 1995 Brunello Riserva. They were both really, really great. Had the normale in 2005 and the riserva earlier this year. I'd say they're ready to drink.

If I had $280 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy a bottle of the 1983 normale that's sitting in my local shop.
  • 1999 E. Fuligni (Cottimelli) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (9/5/2009)
    Decanted 2 hours before dinner and enjoyed over the course of the evening. This wine smelled sublime with dark cherries, floral and chocolate notes that follow through to the palate and pick up a distinct strawberry flavor, spice and tobacco. Additional hints of chocolate chime in on the long finish. I have little experience with Brunello, but this was really delicious. Probably in need of more time as this has continued to evolve over the evening. A real "wow" wine for me. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Sounds awesome Keeno. I’m going to wait a little longer on my 99’s, but that is a great progress report!

Sidebar: Did you catch JS's blog in which he describes the '99 Barolos beginning to fall apart and to drink up now?
I was lucky to grab 3 bottles of this wine from JJ Buckley back in the spring. I think the price was like $55 or something. Probably a little early to open, but figured I had two others to enjoy later. No regrets. Still have a little less than half the bottle for tonight. Will post updates.
Consumed the rest of the bottle last night and it was, again, very nice. The tannins had mellowed more than the previous night, but a lot of the same flavor profile was still there. It did pick up plum note that was very pleasant. Really great stuff.

If you have several bottles of this, I don't see any reason why you couldn't open one up and put in the decanter for a few hours. This was really great with food.

Many thanks to you loquacious Sir or Madam! My able butler will procure a number of these from my exquisite cellar. All that is left is to choose the perfect accompaniment for my well-heeled guests, which will be an easy feat due to my many awards for perfect taste. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)