From the Minivertical tasting hosted by Grossie and his wife on Saturday in honor of Pyangs visit to the Windy City.

1998- This wine was served a little too warm I thought and suffered because of it. The roundest of the 4 Prums but I thought it could have used a little more acidity. Notes of green apple and pear with a rich finish. 90.

1999- A floral nose. This one had some spritz to it and was a little sweeter and riper than the 1998 with better acidity levels. Balanced with melon and mineral notes. 92.

2000- My least favorite of the Prums. This had a musty nose which I attributed to the wetness of the 2000 vintage. The rain in 2000 promoted a lot of unfavorable rot. This wine tasted lean but had good acidity. Notes of cantalope and apple. 88.

2001- The clear cream of the crop in this group. A nose filled with mineral and slate nuances. Deep rich flavors of orchard fruit and wet stone. Based upon its price and quality it is worthy of being in WS's Top 10 of the wines of 2003 which is exactly where I predict it will end up come December. 95.

VM

AC145895 but dreaming of AC000000
Original Post
I had the 1999 Kabinett on Friday night and thought it was spectacular. The acidity has integrated beautifully so while I didn’t get any spritz, I did get the sense of the acidity firmly supporting the ripe fruit flavors that have taken on a pleasing mellowness and richness. I also was surprised how the wine has become rounder and more full with time, providing an almost oily textural element that marries beautifully with the acidity. Two bottles left. I’m looking forward to experiencing them as they continue to mature. My score: 93+
Just a few notes/impressions:

'98: Best nose of the vert - fruity and floral. All fruit and no acidity. Quite easy to drink, but I wouldn't hold this one any longer. 89P

'99: Petrol nose. Rich tropical fruit and wheaty notes. Very nice. 90P.

'00: Gasoline nose. More sour than sweet. More minerality than fruit. 85P.

'01: My glass fizzed up like champagne when I poured this one! Lots of spritz, that died down after a minute. Have to admit, that threw me for a loop and I had trouble appreciating it. NR.

Cheers,

Otis
Dr.T- I have seen quite a few forumites review the 2001 over the last 6 months and can't recall anyone who was not impressed (well except for Otis now). The only thing which might prevent this wine from being WS's WOTY is its' relatively low production.

Otis- I can tell that you tasted these wines early when you were still in clipboard mode because of your extensive notes. You must have been one of the first to try the 2001 because I did not have nearly as much spritz by the time I got to the bottle which was probably 15-20 minutes after you.

VM

AC145895 but dreaming of AC000000
As I predicted in the original post in this thread, the 2001 Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese did end up in WS's Top 10 at #8. Dr.T concurred in my diagnosis in the 3rd post in this thread. A well deserved honor for Prum.

VM
I tasted many rieslings and sometimes I think to myself... "self... this riesling would have been better if it wasn't so warm"... and then I realized that its not the temp, its the wine's fault. The more great riesling that I've tasted (ex: 2002 Selbach Oster Spatlese **), the more I realized that great rieslings will perform under any temperature.
VinoMe,

Locally I have found some of the 1999 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese for after tax $24.99. Is this a fair price? Thx.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.<br /><br />I believe we have 2 lives; the life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
IW,

That is a good price. It's about the regular price you would expect to pay at most stores in this area. It is cheaper when on sale. For comparison, the 2002 is on sale now at Sams for $20.

VM

PS. Did you see that the 1967 Caillou also went on sale as expected.
  • 2000 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (3/25/2007)

Pale straw.
    On the nose some petrol, apples.
    On the palate some citrus, green apples. The acidity is here but the wine doesn't have the complexity and longer finish of recent vintages. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/7/2009)

Took a bottle of this to a friends house in Michigan for a small octoberfest dinner to start our weekend. It was part of 3 2001 Germans that I opened. 2nd time I have had this. The cork on this bottle was slightly protruding. Clear pale yellow color. Not decanted. deeper than the Christoffel kab. It had a slight spritz still. Notes of grapefruit, pear and a slatey minerality. Still very young tasting. Beautiful well balanced and rounded wine. 94+ points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)