Skip to main content

• 1997 Penfolds Grange - Australia, South Australia (6/4/2008)
    This was my first Grange and perhaps a bit of infanticide to drink it now 10 years from bottling. BOOM! This was incredible. Though I have read this is not the best vintage representation of Grange (WS gave it a 92 in 2002) I found it to be outstanding and much better than some others. Decanted for 2 hours before tasting. Pulling the cork was a beautiful experience as the wine end of the cork was so deep purple as to almost be black. Gorgeous! In the glass it was a clear, deep red nearing purple. Very nice color. The nose was huge black fruit (blackberry, blueberry), spice and a hint of oak. Oh so smooth on the palate. Blackberry, blueberry (name your black fruit and it seemed to be present) and plum fruits coalesce in a huge jammy mouthfeel but not overdone. This wine reveals more on the palate with some cassis, hints of oak, pepper and a touch of cocoa. Seriously complex, well integrated and balanced throughout; this wine just doesn't seem to want to quit with a very nice, elegant and long finish (I stopped timing the finish because it didn't seem to want to stop). This is a great wine right now but I am sure it is going to be better around 2012. I have 6 of the 1998's sitting here which I understand to be near perfect. Since the 97 was my first Grange and I found it to be this good I am concerned about my reaction to the 1998's. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by cliffd_7:
I have a single 97 & single 98. You really made me want to open one. I must be strong..I must be strong!!

Cliff
Will work for wine

You can do it Cliff. If you must break down I would open the 97 as it is really great. As for the 98 - you must wait. Email me if you need encouragement as I am hearing them speaking to me in my sleep at times.
1997 Penfold’s Grange -- Nose is a nice blend of plum, eucalyptus and gamey meat. Flavors of plum and blackberry fruit laced with a nice blend of spices, glycerine, and undertones of salty gaminess. The finish is quite long and the structure is very nice with beautifully integrated acidity and fine-grained tannin. Nice marriage of elegance and understated power. Might still improve a little with time, but really drinking well now.
Note: 2 hours later, the nose had become explosive, and the wine was rocking. 96

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.