I thought the 1990 Souverain ($9, WS90) was over the hill based on two bottles last year, but last night with dinner the 1990 outshown the 1997 Kendall Jackson Great Estates ($30, WS92)

The '90 Souverain Cab Alexander Valley surprised me. Upon pour, it had a muted nose, was a little fruit deficient, but pleasant. After 30 minutes in glass, the finish grew longer, the midpalate filled in slightly, and a muted bouquet of violets and sweet fruit emerged. At this point, it began to show up the KJ. 89 points tonight.

the 1997 Kendall Jackson Great Estates Napa Cab exhibited a promising bouquet of dark fruit and oak. First tasted confirmed this, plus some unresolved tannin. At the 30 minuted mark, the tannin subsided some, and it has clearly more upfront fruit than the Souverain, but I preferred the Souverain on this night. 88 points tonight, with potential for 90 with age.

I have two more bottles of KJ, and six more of the Souverain. It will be interesting to try the KJ in about two years to see if it mellows as nicely as the Souverain did.
Original Post
Thanks for the note on the '90 Souverain. It is my experience that Chateau Souverain makes the most ageworthy sub $20 cabs in California. I picked up an '80 a month or so ago that I'm quite eager to pop and see.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.