1996 Pierre Gimonnet Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron (2013 disgorgement) 1er Cru - France, Champagne, Côte des Blancs, Champagne (4/27/2013)

Opened by a friend last weekend. Both my friend and I purchased a bottle of this at the winery for $108 last yer but did not taste it at that time. Gimonnet kept some of the great 1996 vintage in their cellar and disgorged a mere 1000 bottles (83 cases) around April 2013. You can distinguish the recently disgorged bottles because they have the new black and silver labels that Gimonnet has been using for the Fleuron cuvee in recent years instead of the white labels with black and red lettering originally used when the 1996's were first released. Gimonnet labelled our bottle (and the one our friends bought) while we waited.

We opened this next to a 2006 Fleuron and they were quite similar despite the age difference (obviously due to the late disgorgement). Medium yellow color. Moderate bead. Tart raspberry with notes of chalk, lemon/lime, peanuts and bread dough. Good depth from its' maturity but still showing a lively character. Some apple on the long finish. 94-95 points

VM
Original Post

1996 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/1/2018)

This was another late disgorged bottle (April 2013) that I bought at the winery in October 2013. Deep yellow color. Caramel aromas. Notes of ripe pears, yeast and spiced apricots. Creamy texture. Full bodied and showing quite a bit more age since the last time I had this 4 years ago. 90 points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)