TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
TBird, Hunter, mwagner, and spouses would probably be up for an offline, along with an out-of-town visitor or two.
As long as it isn't Montrachet. Razz Big Grin Wink

We need to find a good place with reasonable (read less than $15... and preferably less than $10) corkage around here.
quote:
Originally posted by mwagner7700:
We need to find a good place with reasonable (read less than $15... and preferably less than $10) corkage around here.

Got one. Food is excellent and prices are very fair. The only poroblem is that it's a little small and crowded on a Saturday night. We go once a month and have gotten to know the owner well. Probably during the summer when things slow up we can get a group together for a Saturday night. We're going there mañana with the TBirds.
quote:
Got one. Food is excellent and prices are very fair. The only poroblem is that it's a little small and crowded on a Saturday night. We go once a month and have gotten to know the owner well. Probably during the summer when things slow up we can get a group together for a Saturday night. We're going there mañana with the TBirds.
Sounds good to me. What type of food?
Success!!!!!!!

Thank you, ArieS,
you suggestion to decant helped a lot,
Thank you F. Aoudouze, we have Audouzed the bottle,
(I know you don't post here, but I know your check SE, you'll find this thread there)
Thank you James,
your note helped,
Thank you tlily,
you comments helped

Thank you everybody for following this thread from the first post forward, making new freinds, bonding with the old ones,
it was a great expereince for all, I'm sure.

No need to wait 'til dinner,
this one is good for lunch.
quote:
Originally posted by mwagner7700:
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
I can rec Afgani food place, good food, reasonable prices, no corkage fee, but...bring your own glasses.
Do you mean the Afghan Kebab House? If so, thanks but I'll pass... I don't find Middle Eastern food appetizing.

yes, the one on 63rd street

Afgani is Middle Eastern?

I don't wanna make fun of the poor geography taught in American schools in this thread and offend anybody,
but Afganistan geographically and culinary as close to Middle Eastern as I am close to the blood line of the Chinese Emperor.

I was turned to this place by some friends from eBob, which of course doesn't mean anything.

Thank you,. wagner, you put smile on my face and lifted my spirits even higher. The second bottle of Beaucastel is just EXCELLENT!
quote:
Afgani is Middle Eastern?

I don't wanna make fun of the poor geography taught in American schools in this thread and offend anybody,
but Afganistan geographically and culinary as close to Middle Eastern as I am close to the blood line of the Chinese Emperor.
Maybe your English reading comprehension still needs work. I didn't say Afghanistan was geographically located in the Mid-East. I said the type of food served (according to this, this,this, etc.) is Middle Eastern. So, General Tso... enjoy your wine.
wagner, only 1 out of 3 links you have posted claimed to be Afgani restaurant as "Middle Eastern cusine"

I never been to Afganistan...but I've been to Turkey
http://nocomments.com
(I beleive you know that URL as you kindly pointed to one of the pictures in the past)
Isreal, Greece and if the word of the traveler who have been to Middle East means anything to you,
Afgani cuisine is NOT middle eastern.

I won't dispute this any further, as I am a string beleiver that USA is a FREE country and you have the rights to believe in anything you want. One day you visit Middle East and we'll compare our notes. Deal?

Meanwhile..I ordered 2 more bottles of 1995 Beaucastel to replace the ones which perished, to open them 5+ years from now.
What a wonderful producer!
quote:
wagner, only 1 out of 3 links you have posted claimed to be Afgani restaurant as "Middle Eastern cusine"
All 3 list Middle Easter as the cuisine, two of the 3 also list "Afghan" as the cuisine.

quote:
(I beleive you know that URL as you kindly pointed to one of the pictures in the past)
Was that this post? I've always considered that to be one of my funnier posts. Razz

quote:
Afgani cuisine is NOT middle eastern.
I understand that. I was saying the food they make at this particular restaurant is Middle Eastern (as well as Afghan).

Maybe when you come to NYC, you can bring one of those BC you just ordered. Big Grin
quote:
Maybe when you come to NYC, you can bring one of those BC you just ordered.

If Board-O doesn't change his ways,
I am not coming. I am too old for Zin.
Smile

You funny post still sends visitors to WT, who click on Goog ads and make sure I always have a free bottle of wine.
thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
I did mean it, but I honestly hope your movies don't suffer.

The Life and Times of Serge Birbrair... Spielberg must be nervously pacing back and forth right now, in anticipation of getting the first draft of the script.

I got funds for a very short movie, VERY limited budget.

The movie title is:
"Useful posts on Wine Boards".
Great not Serge,

I just love this board, always guarantee for some great TN and a laugh and fun. Wink
quote:
  • 1995 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/9/2006)
    Not remarkable but itself, quite good with BBQ'd pork chops. The whole lemon went into the BBQ sauce to bring some acidity this wine was missing. I doubt very much this wine will outlive my children. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Several threads on this wine, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

Decanted for approximately 1 hour before serving. Upon first glance, the wine is extremely young looking in terms of the colour. The nose was atypical for a Beaucastel with this much age on it. Very young showing blackberry, black cherry, some tobacco and, over time some old leather and a complete absence of any of the truffle or barnyard notes I normally associate with older Beaus. Probably would have guessed a predominance of cabernet in the blend if served blind. Palate shows black fruit, a plush mouthfeel but also nice acidity and good length. While a nice showing, I think it's still young and would benefit from further cellaring (92 points, with potential for more).
purchased this bottle from a board member and this was the first one opened out of his original case purchase. bottle had high neck fill, and cork was deeply stained at bottom, with nothing up the sides. storage appears to have been impeccable.

popped and poured. light brickish red, orange at rim.

a light nose, with aromas and flavors of mature CdP: LOTS of leather, red fruits, spices, underbrush, black pepper, a tiny note of kirsch.

weak entry, but midpalate explodes, then finish keeps expanding and going 45+ seconds.

fruit has receded quite a bit, but plenty of acidity, and some minor, very fine-grained tannin in support.

a few minutes in the decanter brought the nose around, but i think i would have enjoyed this bottle more 2-3 years ago when i expect it had more fruit (and i love fully mature wines).

paired very nicely with julia child's bouef bourgignon.

92 points.

anyone who is holding these and hasn't popped one recently should do so ASAP to check its progress.
I had one last week, and I'd say that it is fully ready, but a well stored bottle is in no danger of of dropping off a cliff.

Maybe I should double post on this, adding a note to the "do you like barnyard" thread. I almost always do not like even a hint of livestock in my wine, but here it was so integrated and unobtrusive that fit the expectations for a solid Beaucastel.
Opened Friday night. Cork was almost pristine with just a thin streak about halfway up the cork on one side. Modest amount of bricking. Just a gorgeous, sublime wine. This was the oldest CdP I've had, but I'd say this is drinking at peak and if I had another I'd drink this year or next. It was opened about 1:30 with no decant and we started drinking it about 5.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Opened Friday night. Cork was almost pristine with just a thin streak about halfway up the cork on one side. Modest amount of bricking. Just a gorgeous, sublime wine. This was the oldest CdP I've had, but I'd say this is drinking at peak and if I had another I'd drink this year or next. It was opened about 1:30 with no decant and we started drinking it about 5.

Was there much sediment? I have three left and I'm thinking of bringing one to a BYO dinner on Saturday. I can always double decant at home. TIA
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:

Was there much sediment? I have three left and I'm thinking of bringing one to a BYO dinner on Saturday. I can always double decant at home. TIA

It wasn't too bad, but I think it would be worth decanting for sediment. I wouldn't keep it in the decanter for long, but then I'd rather experience the evolution in the glass and not risk it falling apart too soon. That said, I don't think you have to worry about that too much. There were 3 of us drinking it and a 2005 Galevan. We probably finished the bottle about 9:30 and it was still drinking well.
I should have posted. There was plenty of ripe berry flavors, but I think this bottle was probably better a couple of years ago. A little soft, 90. I expected a little better based on previous bottles. If the occasion should arise, I'll open another one soon.

Add Reply

Likes (0)