TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape

• 1995 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/9/2006)
    Not remarkable but itself, quite good with BBQ'd pork chops. The whole lemon went into the BBQ sauce to bring some acidity this wine was missing. I doubt very much this wine will outlive my children. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
W&A,
"A medium to
full-bodied wine, with a boatload of tannin, considerable grip and structure,
and a weighty feel in the mouth, this appears to be a classic vin de garde made
in the style of the 1978 Beaucastel (which is still not close to full maturity).
Prospective purchasers over the age of forty should be buying this wine for
their children.” Wine Advocate #113 (Oct 1997)
"
could have been right in 1997,
but in my bottle it wasn't so.
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:
From the Beaucastel website:

1995: To be kept another 10 years at least.
If ever drunk young decant 24 hours in advance.

Roll Eyes

Almost all wine reviewed by the posters on this site is drunk far, far too soon. Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the horrible waste people brag about here. Roll Eyes
Board-O, I am very NEW to CdP, and one should learn somewhere somehow. I apreciate all the constructive critisism, it speeds up the learning process. Next time I try something new I'll do more due diligence. We are never old..as long as we are capable to learn something new.

BTW, I quoted you once re: CdP at Wine Therapy, but was snarled on, so I didn't go futher. Those guys KNOW EVERYTHING.
Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
PH, why don't you learn from ArieS and wine+art and say something useful for a change? Try it, you might like it.

OK, here goes. I'll quote w + a:

quote:
Serge,

You might want to delete your post.

Apply that useful advice X 2900 plus posts. Thanks in advance....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Almost all wine reviewed by the posters on this site is drunk far, far too soon. Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the horrible waste people brag about here. Roll Eyes

I agree with you Board-O, but some people, including myself, like to try one bottle of everything they put in their cellar to make their own opinion of the wine's quality and ageing potential...
Impulse, vitually nothing will be learned by tasting a slumbering Beaucastel. These wines emerge from a cocoon after a lengthy metamorphosis.

Two wines that are virtually impossible to predict in their youth: Rhones and Burgundies. Over the years, I've seen the pros retract more often than not.
quote:
Impulse, vitually nothing will be learned by tasting a slumbering Beaucastel. These wines emerge from a cocoon after a lengthy metamorphosis.

Two wines that are virtually impossible to predict in their youth: Rhones and Burgundies. Over the years, I've seen the pros retract more often than not.

Board-O.

When would you start drinking the '95?
Syd, while you're waiting for a reply, check out this.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying a Chateauneuf that's already more than 10 years old, to see how it's developing, if you have a reasonable supply of them. There are some wines that conventional wisdom would indicate need a lot more time-- First Growths from great vintages, or Vega Sicilia Unico, for example-- but even Beaucastel or VT should be starting to move into their drinking windows after 10 years. Patience, however, will be rewarded for those who can wait longer.
quote:
These wines emerge from a cocoon after a lengthy metamorphosis.

Again, I agree with you, but I still like to try. I've had too many experiences in which the wine emerge and are completely over the hill already (for example, a few VTs for the 1980's). I feel really dumb when I haven't tasted a wine at least once until it was too late.
syd, this is just a guess based on the 15 or so past vintages of Beaucastel I've tried and what I know of the characteristics of the 1995 vintage. I'm guessing this wine needs a bare minimum of 15 years from vintage date and will almost undoubtedly show better at 20 than 15.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:
From the Beaucastel website:

1995: To be kept another 10 years at least.
If ever drunk young decant 24 hours in advance.

Roll Eyes

I was shocked when I saw that he decided to open a 1989 first growth already too. I just seems way too early. I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.

I know....

the store owner who sold us this wine sends you his regards and confirms:
You are a complete novice.

Serge,
Sarcam, coming from you, is meaningless. Especially when I just admitted that I'm a novice. However, I believe that it is better to be a novice, admit it, and attempt to learn from those with more experience than to be someone who thinks that they know more than they do. This is especially true when said person (and yes, I am talking about you; I did feel the need to clarify that) is one of the most disliked personas on these boards.
quote:
quote:
quote:
I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.

I know....

the store owner who sold us this wine sends you his regards and confirms:
You are a complete novice.

Serge,
Sarcam, coming from you, is meaningless. Especially when I just admitted that I'm a novice. However, I believe that it is better to be a novice, admit it, and attempt to learn from those with more experience than to be someone who thinks that they know more than they do. This is especially true when said person (and yes, I am talking about you; I did feel the need to clarify that) is one of the most disliked personas on these boards.

I am glad you learned something from me, from the most disliked person on this board.
(see my post on the fist page)

I'll save you from me -
stop opening my threads and you'll never have an aggrevation again...
you see how simple this is?
quote:
quote:
I'll save you from me -
stop opening my threads and you'll never have an aggrevation again...
you see how simple this is?

But where can I find nearly as much entertainment on these boards?

here
https://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/358100963
and
here
https://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/385106192
and
most of all here:
https://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3146091161/m/2686081671

after you finish entertaining yourself,
don't hesitate to ask for more.

See you in about 4 years...or people might start talking that you just can't live without me and my wisdom and just come for more.
quote:
here
and
here
and
most of all here:

See you in about 4 years...or people might start talking that you just can't live without me and my wisdom and just come for more.

But according to your rule, I cannot read the first thread! Roll Eyes
quote:
quote:
here
and
here
and
most of all here:

But according to your rule, I cannot read the first thread! Roll Eyes

I am sorry,
see you in 3 years, 364 days 23 hours and 55 minutes.
I have a 95 Beaucastel note here. I gave it 95+ points and would wait at least 5, more likely 10 years before opening another bottle.

I shared another bottle two years before with gfleener from Vinocellar and winemaker Vitis Vinifera. Vitis had a note here on it that he scored 96+ points that seems to have gone missing. May have been from before they started saving all tasting notes.
quote:
Originally posted by tlily:
I have a 95 Beaucastel note here. I gave it 95+ points and would wait at least 5, more likely 10 years before opening another bottle.

I shared another bottle two years before with gfleener from Vinocellar and winemaker Vitis Vinifera. Vitis had a note here on it that he scored 96+ points that seems to have gone missing. May have been from before they started saving all tasting notes.

how long was it decanted?
Serge, I'm not a big fan of long decant times. It spent 90 minutes in a decanter and was then returned to the original bottle. It lasted about 3 hours in the bottle.

I was surprised actually how much people liked it. Beaucastel can be a brutal wine when young, and this one had some wild smells and tastes.

I'd recommend you try a 1988 or 1983 Beaucastel if you want to 'get it'. Otherwise many lesser 98's are starting to come into a good drinking window, or even some 1999's.
thank you, tlily.
I think yours was the first TN in this thread from somebody who actualy tasted this wine (I am still waiting for W&A response).
I can't figure it out if I had "off bottle",
improperly stored bottles or just hasn't decanted it properly. NONE of the smells you and Parker have described were present in the bottle we had.

This morning, after reading the thread, I took a sip from the bottle and...
the smell was there, even not as profound as the TN suggested, and some acidity was there as well, but none of the "boatload of tannins"
(--Parker).

I am not a big fan of decanting either, and I guess this wine just needs it at this stage. I'll open another bottle soon, decant it for 3 hours and if it doesn't come alive or closer to yours and Parker's TN -
bring the rest to the store so somebody else could enjoy what I don't get.

Add Reply

Likes (0)