We took this gem and had it at Greystone in Yakima, WA as a Mother's Day surprise (thanks for bringing this one out, Dad!). The wine wasn't decanted, but opened in the bottle for approx. 1 hour prior to drinking. I'm glad we didn't decant, however, because the delicate nature of this mature wine might have lost some of its appeal with too much aerration.

Beautiful dark ruby, with little to no signs of amber. Great complex nose, showing smoke, earth and currant. On the palate, everything strikes in perfect harmony. Dark berry, tar, earth and a hint of blackberry and oak all come together wonderfully with a silky mouthfeel. Lingering, delicious finish. 94 points.

IMO, this wine is ready to drink now. I was very surprised with the vibrancy in this wine. Some of Figgins' wines have failed to age well. This was a standout and I'm very lucky to have tasted it. If you've got any, drink up! Big Grin

A Cabernet a day keeps the doctor away.
Original Post
mattach-

Speaking with other Leonetti drinkers, I've heard that Figgins has made more approachable wines in their youth in recent years. I think two to three years is a good idea, but I like my wines young (in general). Have you tried the 2000 "Reserve"? I tried it at a tasting about 6 months ago, and was quite pleased.

I grabbed two bottles of the WWV Select Cab at the strong recommendation of Jerry out at Esquin. He said it's incredible and, since I've always been a huge fan of what those two guys out in Walla Walla have been doing, I acted on it. I've not tried it, but I'm glad you've had a good experience. It's tough not touching them, though! Wink

Add Reply

Likes (0)