TN: 1989 Gabriel Bouchard Pommard Les Charmots 1er Cru

• 1989 Gabriel Bouchard Pommard Les Charmots 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (1/26/2007)
    Purchased in a small wine shop in Beaune during a 1994 trip to Burgundy that really kickstarted my passion for wine. A sentimental bottle indeed. We opened it at North Pond restaurant in Lincoln Park. The color was light purple, no bricking or browining. Some small fine-grained bits of sediment in the last couple glasses. Wonderful bouquet of violets, anise, smoked meat, and just a touch of mushroom. Some pretty black raspberry fruit on the palate, with notes of breakfast tea and minerals. Very polished and glassy texture. Finished quickly, but with energetic acidity and a nip of tannin. Glad we drank this now, as I don't think it will get any better. I think it only cost around 90 francs (about $16). But I am afraid it may cause a bigger dent in my pocketbook as I search out a few more premier cru burgs to store away in the cellar in hopes of replicating this enchanting experience. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Cheers,

Otis
Original Post
Hi IW,

North Pond was recommended to me by grossie and we loved it. It's right in the middle of Lincoln Park, which makes it a little tricky to find, but worth the adventure.

The menu changes daily, depending upon what looks best from the chef's purveyors. We ordered off the ala carte menu and crafted a couple three-course meals. They also have a five-course seasonal tasting for $78/pp. They gave me a copy of the menu, so I can list what we ordered here:

STARTERS:

Warm Apple-Leek Soup, with Frisee-Almond Tambale and Artisanal Pancetta Lardons ($12)

Jasmine-Crusted Sea Scallop, Meyer Lemon-Radicchio "Salad", Sesame Biscuit ($13)

SALADS:

Bigeye Tuna Paillard, Shaved Fennel-Parmesan-Sylvetta Arugala Salad, Lemon, Black Pepper ($13)

Watch Hill Oysters On-The-Halfshell, Beauty Heart Radishes, Apple Gelee, Seaweed ($14)

MAIN:

Grilled Swordfish Cassoulet Style: White Beans, Bay Scallops, Bacon, Saucisson Sec; Confited Tomato ($32)

Cinnamon-Spiced Duck Breast Medallions, Cabbage-Pistachio Leg Roll, Parsnip Pancakes, Apricot-Cherry Mostarda ($30)

The soup, scallop and duck were particularly sublime. All were very good to excellent dishes showing great creativity.

Corkage is $25. Stems are decent, but they only have chardonnay and bordeaux style. No Riedels.

Great place for a romantic dinner.

Cheers,

Otis

Add Reply

Likes (0)