TN: 1988, 1996 & 1998 Fontodi Flaccianello Vertical Tasting

1988, 1996 & 1998 FONTODI FLACCIANELLO VERTICAL TASTING - R2-D2's house (3/7/2006)

RD invited a few of the Chicago Wine Mafia over on Saturday for a 6 course Italian dinner. Allred, RobA, RD myself and our wives/girlfriends attended. This flight of 3 wines were served with Osso Bucco and Cannellini Bean Ragout and was our last course (recipe is at the link). I must admit that I was stuffed by the time this course came around and could not finish it. I thought it was very tasty though and was a good match with these Supertuscans. Personally I prefer an Amarone with Osso Bucco but this worked.

Flaccianello is my favorite Supertuscan. My wife and I had the pleasure of visiting this winery on a trip to Tuscany in 1998. These wines are made from 100% Sangiovese. My favorite vintage of this wine was the 1997 although the 2001 was also mighty tasty. Here are my notes on these wines:
  • 1988 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Vino da Tavola - Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola
    3rd time I have had this wine and it showed well every time. The last 2 times were in 2002. This was my favorite bottle of the 3 I've had. RD contributed this to our dinner. It was decanted about an hour and a half before we drank it. 13% alcohol. Very little bricking in this crimson red wine. A little moldiness on the nose that I actually liked. It reminded me that the wine had some character and age. Quite fresh tasting with a firm glycerin level. Earthy character with a good core of sour cherry, lavender and raspberry notes. Silky tannins. A little less body than when I had it 3 years ago but that was more than made for with the freshness of this bottle. 92-93 points.

• 1996 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Allred brought this bottle. 13% alcohol. Nothing jumped up and really grabbed me about this wine but it just had a very elegant style about it. Dry with a smooth finish. Medium bodied with notes of boysenberry, currant and violets. Moderate tannins. No hurry to drink this. 90 points.

• 1998 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    I won this bottle from eyesintime and brought it to this tasting. It was the biggest of the 3 Flaccianello's but not overpowering. Drinking well but there should be no rush to consume it. Good acidity. Notes of chocolatey fruit. Primarily black cherry and cranberry. Some smokiness came out on the finish. 91 points.

Thanks to RD for cooking us such an excellent meal to everyone for the great company.

VM
Original Post
Thanks for the great notes. I have a magnum of the 1998, plus 750ml bottles of the 1997 and 2001. I'll probably still wait a little on the 98, and maybe I'll open one bottle of the 97 this year and see how it is.

I did recently open a 1995 and it was a little disappointing, with pronounced raisiny flavors. I'd probably give that one an 86, and I'd guess it probably was much better a few years ago.
This was a great course, and the osso bucco was absolutely fantastic - my favorite course of the evening. Sure fire way to earn course of the night honors - put a Flintstone-sized veal shank on a plate.

1998 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (3/4/2006)
Italian Dinner and Wines (R2-D2's house): From Vino Me. Very similar to the '96. Smoky/meaty notes, with lots of dark fruit and tannin on the palate. The tannins aren't distracting though, and this was very good, just edging out the '96 for the best wine with the dish. 92+. (92 pts.)

1996 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (3/4/2006)
Italian Dinner and Wines (R2-D2's house): My bottle, decanted for sediment, then allowed the bottle to breathe for a while before serving. Garnet color, maybe just a hint of browning toward the rim. Plenty of smoke on the nose, with a great mushroom component too. The tannins are fairly well-integrated, though still noticable, with blackberry, plum and earthy flavors. Domino's favorite of the three. (92 pts.)

1988 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Vino da Tavola - Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola (3/4/2006)
Italian Dinner and Wines (R2-D2's house): R2's bottle, and what a great experience drinking these three side by side. As expected, a bit lighter in color than the younger vintages. The nose doesn't reveal as much smoke as the earlier vintages, with more wood and dried floral notes. Well-integrated and silky on the palate, with no edges. IMO just a touch below the younger wines but still very enjoyable. 91/92.

Posted from CellarTracker
1996 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (9/11/2009)

Tasted at Otis' Cellar Diminishment Party. Opened by Allred. 2nd time I have had this wine. This bottle was markedly better than the last bottle I had about 3 years ago. This was my red wine of the night at this event. Smooth with a very aromatic nose. Solid tannic structure but approachable. Interesting sweet/sour component. Notes of ripe berries and flowers. 95 points.

VM
  • 1998 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (5/7/2010)
    Off the list of La Trompette in Chiswick. Decanted for an hour prior to serving. Great nose with plums, crushed berries and some earth and leather notes. The palate is full and rich with nice dark cherry fruit. Still hanging onto its structure on the finish, so enjoy with food now or hold for a couple more years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I visited my dad in Rochester, NY this past weekend and he still had some bottles of the 1998 Flaccianello. We brought it the restaurant and it was a true pleasure to drink at age 20. The wine had an amazing nose of red fruits with iris flowers and a cocoa note on it. The palate was initially tight, but within 15 minutes of air in the glass it yielded a plethora of dark fruits, earthy mushroom and a real sense of velvety but still noticeable tannin. It was a great match with my bone in veal chop. The acidity was perfectly in balance with the many dark and blue fruits. I look forward to enjoying this again as my dad gave me one to bring back  to Louisville. Try one now if you have any. 93pts.

IW

Add Reply

Likes (0)