Skip to main content

Purchased en primeur and stored in my friend's cellar since delivery. Decanted several hours prior to serving with veal. Very nice nose of currants, allspice and tar. Dark color with no bricking at the rim. On the palate, the wine showed amazing freshness with velvety tannins and bracing acidity (which surprised me). The wine filled your mouth with secondary flavors of earthy mushrooms with impressive length on the finish. This wine goes to show that a great vintage properly stored will not disappoint. The best bottle of Beychevelle I have ever tasted. 93 points and drinking beautifully right now but has not peaked.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also purchased this in futures for about $10. Boy do I miss those days when the dollar was strong and Bordeaux was affordable.

Opened a bottle of this last night to go with mushroom risotto. This was a very good combination as this wine now has a an earthiness to it that compliments the mushrooms. The color was garnet. Aroma still fragrant with a hint of floral. The fruit opened up after about an hour and the finish was quite fine. To me this was a classical, elegant, mature bordeaux -- not huge and powerful but silky and elegant. Even though this isn't a blockbuster wine, this is what I expect after waiting 25 years for the wine to bring everything together. As an aside, this was stored properly for most of its life and the cork extracted cleanly. (89pts)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.