When I first opened this bottle I got a big burst of floral aroma. I was also impressed with how dark it remained after 20 years. Decanted for one hour before tasting. Fruit was still very pronounced. Tannin was subdued but still there. Had a concentrated dark cherry like flavor but the finish was a little harsh. I'd rate this in the high 80's if I had to assign a number. 3-4 more bottles somewhere in the cellar -- will probably try to drink up in the next couple of years or so but they will probably hold up for at least 5.

This was a very traditional bordeaux taste -- glad to see that these keep for so long if treated well in the cellar.
Original Post
Opened another of these tonight. After a quick decant, the first taste didn't offer very much. After about an hour the wine is opening up but I am not as impressed as I was before. Seems a little harsh and it fades quickly -- not much finish. I hope it is bottle variation -- I have 3 more. On the other hand, I only paid $10 for these in 1984 so I guess I can't complain -- many of the other 1982's are fabulous.
What are your other 82's and how much did you pay for them???

BTW, RMP rates the 1982 Beychevelle 92 points and states it's maturity should be 2000-2015! Perhaps, you should hold those last couple of bottles, or double decant for 24 hours. Anyway, you have it at a great price!!!
I bought 1982 in futures -- I think in late 1983 or early 1984. Prices in general were good in local currency and the dollar was strong. For 1982 I bought Beycheville, Lynch Bages, Gruaud Larose, Talbot and Cos d'Estournel. Can't recall all of them but the most expensive of the lot was $135/case (12 bottles). The L-B is the best by far. Have only tried the Cos and G-L once.
Jeb,

I have been less than thrilled with the 82 Beychevelle. I tend to agree with the experience of your first bottle- the wine tends to be in order but a bit dull. I would have to say that about most of the 80's Beychevelle's, IMO, one of the most underperforming St. Julien's from this period.

Personally, I think decanting this for more than 1-2 hours is advisable. Decanting it for 24 hours would be a death sentence. Even if great and concentrated vintages such as 82, decanting for that length of time has no benefit.

Steve

Bay Area Wine Project
www.bawineproject.com
Steven,

I don't think decanting 24 hours in advance, recorking and decanting 24 hours later would be a death sentence for a 1982 Beycheville. It would improve it quite a bit!
I had stored these in cold storage center while in Europe for three plus years. They seem to have survived. WS rated this 88 and I think that is a fair rating. This bottle was quite nice but not spectacular. Decanted about 45 minutes before starting. A lot of residue in the bottle but the wine is still quite dark but starting to brick. No bouquet at first but opened up after about 30 minutes. Tannins are quite subdued but wine still well structured. Moderate finish.
Pippin

How did you store this. Mine is on the downslope but still very drinkable. It has been stored most of it's life at 55 degrees.
JEB

My storage is natural, two stories underground which ranges from 58 to 64 degrees. I am sure your wine is drinkable. My notes show that it was really in a sweet spot at about age 12. About 92-93 points. I had one recently from a friends cellar and it was similar to your recent rating. I just think it was one to drink earlier rather than later. As a matter of fact, my notes show that it was delicious at age 5.
Very youthful looking. Dark ruby with no signs of bricking. Expressive red/dark fruits and spice jumped from the glass. Rich, slightly mature dark/red fruit (red plums) followed with a touch of leather. The flavors were less effusive than the nose. Nice acidity. Long and lovely. I felt it improved in the glass. Entering its drinking window now but there is still no hurry to drink what you have. (93 pts.)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.