1937 Château Lafite Rothschild
Brilliant ruby color. Mature mushroom and copper/metallic nose with some remaining dark cherry fruits. A bit tart on the palate, with sour cherry and acid without an hint of tannin left. Classic Lafite with tobacco and lead pencil. Probably better some time back, but on a long, gradual decline that still provides a great experience.
Original Post
rhone warrior What are you doing drinking a mature Bordeaux instead of a mature Rhone??? Eek

Anyway, minimal fruit, tart on the finish, sour cherry and acitiy, all add up to a wonderful experience, when you know that bottle endured WWII, and all of the other historical events of the 20th century. Anyway, I would discount the quality of fruit and the score, and just enjoy the opportunity to have 71 year old bottle of Lafite. Cool
The bottle was part of a mixed case I bought from a long-established cellar a few months back. It was actually only around $400 delivered for the Lafite - well worth a roll of the dice for such a rarity IMO. But, as there wasn't a '37 Latour in the cellar, my guess is that I won't be commenting on that one anytime soon.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

Was that McCain's birth year?

It's that old! Eek

I would not vote for this wine for president... Wink
quote:
Originally posted by rhone warrior:

as there wasn't a '37 Latour in the cellar, my guess is that I won't be commenting on that one anytime soon.

rhone warrior, if you get a chance, go for it and let me know what you think.

I hope to see you and Jenn again soon.

w+a

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.