the Parker or me thread

#1 its Vaynerchuk no C Smile
#2 I am beyond humbled by many of the kind words!
#3 I SOOOOOOOOOOO respect where people are coming from on the counter that I have vested interest ect...I so understand and "get it"

I just wanted to say a few things
#1 I adore and respect Parker and many WS critics, Burghound, Tanzer, Hirsch ect..so many good peeps but what I am all about is to get people to do 2 things

#1 Trust their own palate and more importantly
#2 Try new things

2 years ago I turned 30 and after 8 yrs of working everyday to build my family business up I wanted to do something new, that new thing was WLTV. I wanted to do a show from the heart and have fun, the new media excited me and I wanted to help this amazing product that has been so good to my family ( we were poor immigrants) I worked very hard, many of you know 12 hrs a day for 8 yrs and this was something I needed for my heart, I assure you that if you really watched and spied on WLTV you would be shocked how much it comes from my "Palate" and my heart but I so understand why others would question the scores or thoughts I have on wines. All I can say is that I really appreciate all the comments and really wish and pray that I have a chance to share a nice glass of vino with each of you so that you could get to know me better and know me as a man and understand where my heart and soul is and what I stand for and then the question I think would be answered! I just wish you health and happiness for you and your family and keep enjoying the vino......just try new things Smile
Original Post
You gotta love a man with passion, heart, and soul. I didn't comment on the VAY-Ner-CHUK, vs Parker link because I don't feel qualified to judge this man's palate. I love his links, and love that I can razz on the man on WLTV, but i have only tried two of his recommendation. Both were wines I wouldn't have tried otherwise. To me, that's the most important role of a critic, to open new wines possibilities to people. For example, Bruce Sanderson may be the worlds best Burgundy critic, but by the time he publishes his 2005 Burgundy report, I will be done buying for the year. I've already started to buy 2006. I want a little guidance in choosing my wines, because I don't have the same time, judgement, or expertise to try all the wines before buying them. I have tasted two G.V. recommendations: Lascombes 2004 and E. Guigal Côte Rôtie Brun-et-Blonde 2003. I loved both, and ended up buying 2004 Bordeaux after I had decided not to buy anything French in 2004. Additionally, after tasting the Côte-Rôtie, I rearranged my last France trip to include two days in the Northern Rhone. It was one of the highlights of my trip. I have nothing but good things to say about Gary V, and his crazy Avant Guard reviews, but he is kind of whacky. I mean, were I to be too be exuberant about the man, I would be certain to loose any respect that I might have on this forum, which isn't much. I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a loss though, because, let's face it, we are all in the same boat. We all sort of respect and antagonize one another all the time on this sight. That's the beautiful thing about the forum, it keeps all of us honest(er).
How about getting us something new and different in your emails? I only remember one Spanish white, the 2004 Coma Blanca which I bought from you. There are loads of great whites coming out of Spain, and I'm not talking about Albariño. I'd jump at Clos Mogador Nelin, Mas Igneus Barranc dels Closos, Scala Dei Les Brugueres, etc.

I'd like to see more Santa Barbara County Rhone varietals.

I think it'd be good for your business to expose people to other wines, not the same old stuff they get in emails from all the other retailers.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
How about getting us something new and different in your emails? I only remember one Spanish white, the 2004 Coma Blanca which I bought from you. There are loads of great whites coming out of Spain, and I'm not talking about Albariño. I'd jump at Clos Mogador Nelin, Mas Igneus Barranc dels Closos, Scala Dei Les Brugueres, etc.

I'd like to see more Santa Barbara County Rhone varietals.

I think it'd be good for your business to expose people to other wines, not the same old stuff they get in emails from all the other retailers.


Roll Eyes So Typical!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
How about getting us something new and different in your emails? I only remember one Spanish white, the 2004 Coma Blanca which I bought from you. There are loads of great whites coming out of Spain, and I'm not talking about Albariño. I'd jump at Clos Mogador Nelin, Mas Igneus Barranc dels Closos, Scala Dei Les Brugueres, etc.

I'd like to see more Santa Barbara County Rhone varietals.

I think it'd be good for your business to expose people to other wines, not the same old stuff they get in emails from all the other retailers.


GV is keeping you safe during your moratorium on purchases, he doesn't want the cellar to spill over into the ice-box in the garage any more than it has too. If you had all of those babies sitting there at the ready, you would have to pull the trigger.
quote:
Originally posted by Roentgen Ray:
GV is keeping you safe during your moratorium on purchases, he doesn't want the cellar to spill over into the ice-box in the garage any more than it has too. If you had all of those babies sitting there at the ready, you would have to pull the trigger.


Thanks, Gary. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by dc13:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
GaryV,

Well said man, you know I'm onboard! Shaking things up is usually a good thing in my book, keep on with your bad self.


Indy - have you checked out the WLTV forums? I think you would fit right in!


dc13,

Actually I have, and am a member there. But, I don't post a whole lot on wltv (I should, I know). As I'm always learning more about wine, I think your average WS forum member knows more, but is typically more curmudgeonly (see above post).
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Vaynerchuk:
I really appreciate all the comments and really wish and pray that I have a chance to share a nice glass of vino with each of you so that you could get to know me better and know me as a man and understand where my heart and soul is and what I stand for and then the question I think would be answered! I just wish you health and happiness for you and your family and keep enjoying the vino......just try new things Smile


Been there....done that....and have sadly found out how you really are when the chips are down Roll Eyes You always talk health and family are #1...yet you are fast to turn your back and walk away when you feel it is not in your favor...Sorry Bro...can't have your cake and eat it to...you need to choose what you stand for.
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
Are we really that uptight that we have to break someone down for doing what they love?

I wonder how many of my Dad's croanies dissed Parker or Laube when they first started reviewing and now think they are palate Gods?
Who is breaking him down? The majority of the posts were complimentary towards Gary. Let’s be honest, Parker is still the Michael Jordan of wine. So the fact that there was a thread called Parker or Vaynerchuk is in and of itself is a huge compliment to Gary.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
Are we really that uptight that we have to break someone down for doing what they love?

I wonder how many of my Dad's croanies dissed Parker or Laube when they first started reviewing and now think they are palate Gods?
Who is breaking him down? The majority of the posts were complimentary towards Gary. Let’s be honest, Parker is still the Michael Jordan of wine. So the fact that there was a thread called Parker or Vaynerchuk is in and of itself is a huge compliment to Gary.


I totally agree, and both threads were VERY respectful. I just find it funny that we have to say one is better than the other. They're just different. I guess I just assumed, from the past, that there was some bashing going on. I only read about half the thread.
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Vaynerchuk:
I really appreciate all the comments and really wish and pray that I have a chance to share a nice glass of vino with each of you so that you could get to know me better and know me as a man and understand where my heart and soul is and what I stand for and then the question I think would be answered! I just wish you health and happiness for you and your family and keep enjoying the vino......just try new things Smile


Been there....done that....and have sadly found out how you really are when the chips are down Roll Eyes You always talk health and family are #1...yet you are fast to turn your back and walk away when you feel it is not in your favor...Sorry Bro...can't have your cake and eat it to...you need to choose what you stand for.


WOW...that's pretty f-ing harsh. Gary does preach health and family, but that doesn't mean he has to take care of you. Don't you have your own family to take care of you?
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Vaynerchuk:
#1 its Vaynerchuk no C Smile
#2 I am beyond humbled by many of the kind words!
#3 I SOOOOOOOOOOO respect where people are coming from on the counter that I have vested interest ect...I so understand and "get it"

I just wanted to say a few things
#1 I adore and respect Parker and many WS critics, Burghound, Tanzer, Hirsch ect..so many good peeps but what I am all about is to get people to do 2 things

#1 Trust their own palate and more importantly
#2 Try new things

2 years ago I turned 30 and after 8 yrs of working everyday to build my family business up I wanted to do something new, that new thing was WLTV. I wanted to do a show from the heart and have fun, the new media excited me and I wanted to help this amazing product that has been so good to my family ( we were poor immigrants) I worked very hard, many of you know 12 hrs a day for 8 yrs and this was something I needed for my heart, I assure you that if you really watched and spied on WLTV you would be shocked how much it comes from my "Palate" and my heart but I so understand why others would question the scores or thoughts I have on wines. All I can say is that I really appreciate all the comments and really wish and pray that I have a chance to share a nice glass of vino with each of you so that you could get to know me better and know me as a man and understand where my heart and soul is and what I stand for and then the question I think would be answered! I just wish you health and happiness for you and your family and keep enjoying the vino......just try new things Smile


Great post. Well said.
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Vaynerchuk:
I really appreciate all the comments and really wish and pray that I have a chance to share a nice glass of vino with each of you so that you could get to know me better and know me as a man and understand where my heart and soul is and what I stand for and then the question I think would be answered! I just wish you health and happiness for you and your family and keep enjoying the vino......just try new things Smile


Been there....done that....and have sadly found out how you really are when the chips are down Roll Eyes You always talk health and family are #1...yet you are fast to turn your back and walk away when you feel it is not in your favor...Sorry Bro...can't have your cake and eat it to...you need to choose what you stand for.


WOW...that's pretty f-ing harsh. Gary does preach health and family, but that doesn't mean he has to take care of you. Don't you have your own family to take care of you?

Who said anything about coming to take care of Confused you mean GV's in the health care business now also...DAMN Razz Hey I am just responding to his post....still trying to figure out what the hell he needed to start another thread for when there is one right below it with his name already on it. Confused What is today WLTV Day on WS. And as far as being harsh...just giving back what was dished out.
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Vaynerchuk:
I really appreciate all the comments and really wish and pray that I have a chance to share a nice glass of vino with each of you so that you could get to know me better and know me as a man and understand where my heart and soul is and what I stand for and then the question I think would be answered! I just wish you health and happiness for you and your family and keep enjoying the vino......just try new things Smile


Been there....done that....and have sadly found out how you really are when the chips are down Roll Eyes You always talk health and family are #1...yet you are fast to turn your back and walk away when you feel it is not in your favor...Sorry Bro...can't have your cake and eat it to...you need to choose what you stand for.


WOW...that's pretty f-ing harsh. Gary does preach health and family, but that doesn't mean he has to take care of you. Don't you have your own family to take care of you?

Who said anything about coming to take care of Confused you mean GV's in the health care business now also...DAMN Razz Hey I am just responding to his post....still trying to figure out what the hell he needed to start another thread for when there is one right below it with his name already on it. Confused What is today WLTV Day on WS. And as far as being harsh...just giving back what was dished out.


I'm not sure people here know what you're talking about.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by dc13:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
GaryV,

Well said man, you know I'm onboard! Shaking things up is usually a good thing in my book, keep on with your bad self.


Indy - have you checked out the WLTV forums? I think you would fit right in!


dc13,

Actually I have, and am a member there. But, I don't post a whole lot on wltv (I should, I know). As I'm always learning more about wine, I think your average WS forum member knows more, but is typically more curmudgeonly (see above post).


Indy - I have always enjoyed your posts HERE and I urge you to participate more over there. You'd be surprised at the level of knowledge and experience some of the members possess . . .
quote:
So Typical!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
How about getting us something new and different in your emails? I only remember one Spanish white, the 2004 Coma Blanca which I bought from you. There are loads of great whites coming out of Spain, and I'm not talking about Albariño. I'd jump at Clos Mogador Nelin, Mas Igneus Barranc dels Closos, Scala Dei Les Brugueres, etc.

I'd like to see more Santa Barbara County Rhone varietals.

I think it'd be good for your business to expose people to other wines, not the same old stuff they get in emails from all the other retailers.


So Typical!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
How about getting us something new and different in your emails? I only remember one Spanish white, the 2004 Coma Blanca which I bought from you. There are loads of great whites coming out of Spain, and I'm not talking about Albariño. I'd jump at Clos Mogador Nelin, Mas Igneus Barranc dels Closos, Scala Dei Les Brugueres, etc.

I'd like to see more Santa Barbara County Rhone varietals.

I think it'd be good for your business to expose people to other wines, not the same old stuff they get in emails from all the other retailers.


So Typical!


R&RCowboy...I thought it was a very insightful post. If you read Gary's stuff, he hasn't focused on SBC Rhones or Spanish whites. Wine is a never ending education for me so I'd like to try more of both styles to see what Board-O, or anyone else is on to.
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
Who said anything about coming to take care of Confused you mean GV's in the health care business now also...DAMN Razz Hey I am just responding to his post....still trying to figure out what the hell he needed to start another thread for when there is one right below it with his name already on it. Confused What is today WLTV Day on WS. And as far as being harsh...just giving back what was dished out.


Wow. You should really incorporate more salads into your diet.
Oh brother. Roll Eyes


Fact #1: Gary is a nice guy.
Fact #2: Gary loves wine(just like everyone else on this forum)
Fact #3: Gary has a business that sells wine.
Fact #4: Gary, while he is entertaining, is still selling wine.
Fact #5:Gary, who does not taste blind and because he also sells wine, is NOT in a position to be COMPLETELY objective on the wines he reviews.

Whew!! Kapish?

Parker intentionally prohibits ads in his WA. It is not without reason. WS accepts ads but strictly adheres to tasting blind. Also not without reason.

Gary tastes both non-blind AND sells the stuff. As such, this lack of objectivity is what impairs Gary or anyone else in these circumstances to seriously and credibly consider themselves as wine-critic. Even this discussion is absurd.

No offense Gary as none is intended.
quote:
Originally posted by dc13:
Indy - I have always enjoyed your posts HERE and I urge you to participate more over there. You'd be surprised at the level of knowledge and experience some of the members possess . . .


dc13,

Thanks, I appreciate it, I really do. Sometimes (especially after one of my quarterly meltdowns) I do think I might pull the WS plug and migrate over there more. But something always calls me back. There's something to feeling like one of the, if not the most liberal person in a sea of stoic conservatism (Een excepted). The winelibrary forums often feel as if folks are trying to "outcool" each other. Not my gig either, Wink.

Cheers!
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Oh brother. Roll Eyes


Fact #1: Gary is a nice guy.
Fact #2: Gary loves wine(just like everyone else on this forum)
Fact #3: Gary has a business that sells wine.
Fact #4: Gary, while he is entertaining, is still selling wine.
Fact #5:Gary, who does not taste blind and because he also sells wine, is NOT in a position to be COMPLETELY objective on the wines he reviews.

Whew!! Kapish?

Parker intentionally prohibits ads in his WA. It is not without reason. WS accepts ads but strictly adheres to tasting blind. Also not without reason.

Gary tastes both non-blind AND sells the stuff. As such, this lack of objectivity is what impairs Gary or anyone else in these circumstances to seriously and credibly consider themselves as wine-critic. Even this discussion is absurd.

No offense Gary as none is intended.


If you question Garys intentions then you have to question the secret nature of WS tastings. I have no problem with either so I'm not trying to challenge you, but the fact that WS sells ads means the same argument applies.
IndyBob,

You are NOT the only "liberal" person here. Just that the rest of us don't label ourselves that way. Trust me, I've had my share of discussions in the Madder than Hell forum and I frankly believe that politics, unless wine related, really do not have any place here. Some people espouse their politicals views here but I believe a lot of others take notice and avoid those posters.

Just my 3 cents and hope that you stay on.
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
If you question Garys intentions then you have to question the secret nature of WS tastings. I have no problem with either so I'm not trying to challenge you, but the fact that WS sells ads means the same argument applies.
How does the same argument apply? WS sells wine ads, but tastes blind so that influence is mitigated. If Gary tasted blind it would also help mitigate doubt about his objectivity.
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
If you question Garys intentions then you have to question the secret nature of WS tastings. I have no problem with either so I'm not trying to challenge you, but the fact that WS sells ads means the same argument applies.


First, I don't question Gary's intentions, I am saying that he could not possibly be fully objective given the facts.

Second, I would refrain from using the word "secret" in your post. It has a connotation of sinister or somehow conniving. Please just use blind tastings as that is what they are.

Finally, if you read my post carefully, the fact that WS sells wines is an inherant contradiction with judging wines. As a result, to somewhat remedy this, they taste blind.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon M:
If you question Garys intentions then you have to question the secret nature of WS tastings. I have no problem with either so I'm not trying to challenge you, but the fact that WS sells ads means the same argument applies.


First, I don't question Gary's intentions, I am saying that he could not possibly be fully objective given the facts.

Second, I would refrain from using the word "secret" in your post. It has a connotation of sinister or somehow conniving. Please just use blind tastings as that is what they are.

Finally, if you read my post carefully, the fact that WS sells wines is an inherant contradiction with judging wines. As a result, to somewhat remedy this, they taste blind.


It was not my intention to call a blind taste a "Secret" taste it is my intention to show the difference between Gary and WS. WS may blind taste their wines, but how do I know this for sure? Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Gary tastes right in front of you and WS is tasted in a back room, blind or not.
Likes (0)
×
×
×
×