link to a recent article about the French Government allowing producers to label syrah as shiraz.

Of course this is done in the interests of tradition, not trying to get on the bandwagon of another countr's wine success.

------------------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -Herbert Spencer
Original Post
I had a little trouble with this tonight. A customer asked for a glass of Shiraz. I said we had a Cotes du Rhone by the glass, but no Syrah/Shiraz BTG, only by the bottle. I suggested he might prefer the Toad Hollow Cacophony to the CdR, but he asked for a taste of the CdR anyway. At least he said it was completely different from what he expected from a Shiraz, but then he ordered a glass of Merlot instead--and loved it.

I'm wondering which appelations of Rhone wines will be allowed to call themselves Shiraz. I would hope that it is only wines from Northern Rhone, not the Southern Rhone blends that are often less than 30% Syrah. And I also wonder if this will affect the percentage of Syrah that So. Rhone producers put in their CdR's and CdP's so they can call them Shiraz.

Interesting dilemna.
I can't see the major appellations such as Cote Rotie, Cornas and Hermitage labelling their wines as Shiraz. CdP? No way. Maybe some Vins de Pays wines. Wasn't Fat Bastard already labelling theirs as Shiraz?
That's funny... a while back, I actually thought that Fat Bastard was Australian... 1) because of the "shiraz" label, and 2) because of the name. That's too bad that they would do this. As much as I disagree w/ French politics, I can't think of a better "value" wine that cdr's and cdp's. Stellar wines that could command 3x the price in today's market.

LJ

"Drink up, me hardies, YO HO!"
It figures… we keep bastardizing quality over mass-appeal. This is a dangerous tread that the fine-wine world is following and moreover it sets a bad precedent. Cotes du Rhone was one of my first wine-loves when I started out and every bottle I drink still holds that ‘virgin’-magic… but I must confess that all that warmth will be quite cool if I ever see the word “Shiraz” on my Cotes du Rhone.
Welcome to the boards Alejandro.

The point I was making wasn't wether or not the French labelling their syrah as "shiraz" was a bad thing. To be honest I think that if it helps them sell more wine more power to them, some Aussie wines label themselves as Syrah.

I was just amused that the French who have been whinging loudest and longest about other countries putting French wine terms on their labels, thought it OK to put an Australian/South African term on their labels about a nanosecond after it became commercially viable for them to do so.

I would also object to Shiraz such as Seppelts St Peter, Jasper Hill, Brokenwood Graveyard Vineyard, and Wynn's Michael being identified as bastardizing quality over mass appeal.

------------------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -Herbert Spencer
french being french, Roll Eyes i'm sure they are trying to please their middle eastern friends, while accidentally Wink Wink benefiting along the way. after all, isn't the original Shiraz in Iran these days?
And the vine is a crossing of two native French varieties ... the story of its Persian origins has been disproved by DNA typing.
All of you french wine snobs need to get over yourselves. Are you drinking the label or the juice?

Who cares what they call it?

"Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too."
So there is no Syrah in Shiraz.

They wouldn't be allowed to drink it anyway.

What the French are feeling is enormous pressure from the rest of the wineworld (which a few years ago they didn't know existed). They're trying to modernise their ancient wine laws that are slowing them down instead of helping them.

The Shiraz issue is a rather childish attempt in the "international" direction.
Oh, the poor old Frenchies can't sell their Vins de pays Syrah, so they've gotta ride on the back of Aussie success. Wink

Seriously, though, as long as they don't start labelling their wines as "Barossa shiraz" or "Heathcote shiraz", I don't have a major problem. I do see the Pauly's point though. Utilising the "image" portrayed by a name is misleading if the product doesn't deliver, so the French have been arguing. That's fine if you're talking about not labelling sparkling wine "champagne", but the French have been incredibly petty in some instances. Veuve even threatened to sue a Tasmanian sparkling wine producer because the colour of his label was too close to the orange of Veuve's champagne. Confused

Wine tastes better upside down.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.