The 2010 Cotes Du Rhone reds thread

quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
The Andezon was one of several wines opened tonight with pizza. Quite foul smelling, and the jammy/spritzy flavors are a shock to what the smell offers. I don't think it's corked, but perhaps some other flaw? This is seriously disgusting. Wow. I've seen/heard several others rave about this wine, but if my bottle was representative, it ain't for me.

What we had was definitely an off bottle. A retailer had this open today and it was quite nice, so I'll have to give it another go. Perhaps not post while buzzed, too. Big Grin
2010 Domaine Les Aphillanthes, CdR, Vieilles Vignes

Opened this last night. Wow. Nice nose of spice and dark fruit. Full bodied and well balanced. Delicious finish.

A little pricier than most CdR's, but worth the extra imho. I'm going back to pick up some more today.
Re Saint Damien CdRs:

There are two - one with a white label, which contains more grenache than syrah, and one with a black label, which contains more syrah than grenache. I've had the white label version several times and think it's pretty good for the price. It's been my go to house red for the last two or so months.

Which one is everyone above drinking?
quote:
Originally posted by wineaux:
Re Saint Damien CdRs:

There are two - one with a white label, which contains more grenache than syrah, and one with a black label, which contains more syrah than grenache. I've had the white label version several times and think it's pretty good for the price. It's been my go to house red for the last two or so months.

Which one is everyone above drinking?

the bouveau is the dark gray label, the vv is the white label
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2010 Domaine Les Grands Bois, CdR Villages, Cuvee Maximilien Cairanne

Glass staining purple and 14.5% alcohol, this is a Parkerized CdR. Don't know what the blend is, but the grenache dominates. Raspberry zinger. Not exactly my style of CdR, but a very good wine and at less than $20 a good deal.

Drinking this one tonight. While quite ripe, it has some nice grip at the finish. I really like this wine.
I have the 2010 Mas de Boislauzon CdR Villages arriving tomorrow for the store. I am going to grab a few for myself. I LOVED the wine back in January via barrel tasting. I hope it is as good now. If anyone wants to try this and cannot find it, email me at justinhome at msn dot com

IW
2010 Dupere Barrera, CdR, Villages

According to the label, Syrah is the main varietal in this bottling, which explains the red plum flavour instead of the raspberry in some of the other 2010's I've tried. Well balanced, easy drinking, decent CdR, but the finish is a little simple. I'd give it an 88. At $20, no need to go back and get more.
Had the 2010 Domaine de Beaurenard, CdR last night. Love the nose of cherry and nutmeg after a little dust blew off. Not a big wine, going instead for elegance. A balanced, well made wine which I really enjoyed. 90 points.

If they did this well with their regular CdR bottling, I'm sure the Rasteau will be excellent too. It's usually a bigger, brawnier style.
Had the 2010 Michel Gassier Cercius a few nights back with pan seared filet and shitakes. The sauce was seasoned with a dash of fresh thyme, and I was hoping for a little garrigue to play around with. No garrigue, but an interesting bottle. VERY dark and rich for CdR. Grenache driven. If I'd tasted this blind, I'd probably have guessed Spain.

PH
A little off topic...
I went CdR hunting recently and picked up the 2009 Janasse CdR . I hadn't seen it before and I love the producer so I bit.

This is a wonderful medium/full bodied CdR, and the tannins aren't rough like many other 2009s. This has great pure fruit and garrigue with a smooth finish and no hard edges. I will probably go back for more (if I get around to it in time). I think it was about $15.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Chapoutier Bila Haut Cotes de Roussillion- excellent wine with bright acidity and rich fruit. Outstanding QPR and worth purchase at 2-3 times the price.

I bought a case and for the money, it can't be beat

There are two of these in the SAQ system here:
2011 Les Vignes de Bila-Haut Cotes du Roussillon Villages ($16.35)
2009 Bila-Haut Occultum Lapidem Cotes du Roussillon Villages ($24.00)

Neither are 2010 vintage here. Is there one, specifically, you gents are referring to and is the 2010?
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2010 Domaine Les Aphillanthes, CdR, Vieilles Vignes

Opened this last night. Wow. Nice nose of spice and dark fruit. Full bodied and well balanced. Delicious finish.

A little pricier than most CdR's, but worth the extra imho. I'm going back to pick up some more today.

Just saw this post. I will check this one out.
I tried a couple more recently. The 2010 Domaine Cros de Romet and the 2010 Chateau de Galifay. Both are Villages, Cairanne bottlings. No notes taken, but I liked the latter better. The Romet was hot, which made me look at that label and discover it was 16% alcohol.
quote:
quote:
Chapoutier Bila Haut Cotes de Roussillion- excellent wine with bright acidity and rich fruit. Outstanding QPR and worth purchase at 2-3 times the price.

wow, i musta grabbed a bad bottle of this. i saw it at a wine shop, thinking it would be another no-brainer CdR purchase. but my bottle was flat and generic. i will grab another based on these two posts. thanks, guys.
quote:
quote:

Finally had this...wholeheartedly agree. Cruises to 89-90 point territory easy.
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
quote:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one AML.
Cheers, VinC
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
quote:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one AML.
Cheers, VinC

Thanks again for picking that one up for me.

Winner
I opened a 2010 St. Cosme CdR yesterday. The wine presented all kinds of interesting characteristics - including sour cherry, citrus, coffee grounds, licorice, and smoke. However, the citrus note was most prevalent. I followed the wine over 3+ hours and it showed no signs of fading. I suspect it has several more years of evolution ahead.
Finally got my hands on the Mon Coeur:

• 2010 J.L. Chave Sélection Côtes du Rhône Mon Coeur - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/2/2012)
    Mighty tasty. Some barnyard on opening, dissipates after about half an hour. Loads of fruit without being overripe or jammy even. Some structure becomes apparent on the finish. Also some southern rhone spicy flavor and some gravelly minerality.

Posted from CellarTracker
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
2010 Grand Veneur CdR Reserve and Champauvins are both very nice QPRs.

i have really enjoyed the past 3 vintages of the Champauvins (especially considering QPR). i would add that is is a little New World in profile, at least to my palate.
quote:
Originally posted by newsguy:
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
2010 Grand Veneur CdR Reserve and Champauvins are both very nice QPRs.

i have really enjoyed the past 3 vintages of the Champauvins (especially considering QPR). i would add that is is a little New World in profile, at least to my palate.

I had the '10 Champauvins last night off a restaurant list. It was very rich without being overripe. And I could see how it could be considered a little New World in profile, or at least that it didn't seem overtly rhonish. A nice wine though.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The St. Cosme "Les Deux Albion" is pretty tight, even several hours after splash decanting. It started showing well at 3 1/2 hours. Seemed promising but hard to evaluate. A definite hold for me.

I'm drinking this wine tonight. It's showing pretty well IMO. I like the dried herb notes that play against the bright berry fruit. I wonder if St. Cosme ever has a mis-step?

Add Reply

Likes (0)