Sweet wines?

khmark7 - it really depends on what you're after. Many of those wines can last for many many years. And some people enjoy and even prefer them that way. On the other hand, some people prefer them when they are freshest and younger. There's no hard and fast rule - unlike reds, which can be tannic and basically undrinkable when young, many botrytized wines can be quite enjoyable when young. As they age, the sweetness is attenuated and the honey-toned flavors recede. Why not try one with a few years on it and see how you feel? The great thing about sauternes is that you can often find 1/2 bottles. Cheers!
KH,

I agree w/Greg. A good Sauternes never gives me the feeling that it's a bad time to drink it.

Board-O. Ha, Ha! Anyways, I've never had an Indiana wine that I'd write home about. Much of it is horrid! But, I haven't had a ton of them. There are a couple of good makers who "import" west coast fruit though, and do a respectable job, like Ch. Thomas.
Well, I realize that this topic is a bit old, but I thought I'd still give my 2 cent's worth.

I pretty much hate wine altogether, but I have managed to find some whites that I do really like. I, too, like very, very, very sweet wines and have found the following. I'm not a wine pro, so I don't even claim to know what's what, but I do know what I like. I still haven't found a sweet red that I can stand more than 1/2 a sip from, so I'm still looking for one of those.

If you want to try some sweet whites, give these a try. I'll give the UPC as well, in case that helps your local supplier find it. The first three are under $10 (at least in my stores). Not sure about the last one. It was about $10 a glass at the restaurant.

Chateau Ste Michelle Moscato Frizzante - 0-88586-00138-3 (Washington)
Santo Moscato D'Asti - 8-51758-00208-8 (Italy)
Barefoot Moscato - 0-85000-01668-8 (California)
Andrea Faccio Moscato D'Asti - 80-28166-00100-8 (Italy)

The two D'Asti's are excellent. I have only been able to find the Santo Moscato D'Asti at Costco. And the Andrea Faccio Mosctao D'Asti, so far, has only been found in a restaurant we went to. They won't reply to my e-mails requesting info on it, so I'm out of luck on that one.

If anyone can help me locate that last Moscato, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
quote:
Originally posted by Styler001:
been able to find the Santo Moscato D'Asti at Costco. And the Andrea Faccio Mosctao D'Asti, so far, has only been found in a restaurant we went to. They won't reply to my e-mails requesting info on it, so I'm out of luck on that one.

If anyone can help me locate that last Moscato, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Found it.

http://grandvinwinemerchants.c...il=GIADAMOSCATO2008H
quote:
Okay this is the funniest string I have read in a long time. Most peoples responses are so funny.
Let me guess. "Jet" is an early 20s femme that has no business drinking wine in the first place. I'm with the french guy. Try a "Bahama-Mama" it's a sweet red that you can drink when sitting with your friends. And everyone else...catering to the inexperience. She found out through experimentation that she likes Cabernet.
I bet if exposed she would love an good aged Brunello or a piece of dark chocolate. Entice people to exercise their palates. Sweet wines just don't do that.

* Just reading through some old responses to this post.

This is exactly the type of response that perpetuates the snobbery around wine. This response is "funny?!" Why?!...because somebody doesn't like red wine? So what?!

Most people here began their hobby with a wine that they might hardly consider now. For me, I believe it was a Malvaysia from Temecula, CA. My palate grew from there, no thanks to idiots like this.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Okay this is the funniest string I have read in a long time. Most peoples responses are so funny.
Let me guess. "Jet" is an early 20s femme that has no business drinking wine in the first place. I'm with the french guy. Try a "Bahama-Mama" it's a sweet red that you can drink when sitting with your friends. And everyone else...catering to the inexperience. She found out through experimentation that she likes Cabernet.
I bet if exposed she would love an good aged Brunello or a piece of dark chocolate. Entice people to exercise their palates. Sweet wines just don't do that.

* Just reading through some old responses to this post.

This is exactly the type of response that perpetuates the snobbery around wine. This response is "funny?!" Why?!...because somebody doesn't like red wine? So what?!

Most people here began their hobby with a wine that they might hardly consider now. For me, I believe it was a Malvaysia from Temecula, CA. My palate grew from there, no thanks to idiots like this.

quote:

Originally posted by Styler001:

I pretty much hate wine altogether

bout sums it up
quote:
bout sums it up

LOL

Yep.

Shane - If someone were a complete novice and read this thread, I'm not sure they would have any clue which information is worthwhile and which isn't.

Someone suggested buying the wine from Oliver, which is made from Concord grapes. Someone else suggested d'Yquem.

So let's see, $7.50 or $750.00. At least they're both 750ml.

What does she do with that?

And although she starts out by saying she's drinking a late harvest Riesling and doesn't like it, she gets suggestions to try TBA and a slew of other late harvest wines and then while she's at it, maybe some aged Brunello.

Wine snobbery or cluelessness?

I think that's why she never re-appeared.

BTW - to your Malvasia - why would you not consider it today? It's one of the very perfumed grapes and can make pretty nice wine, both dry and sweet. In CA, Palmina makes a pretty good dry one and it's a component, albeit usually minor, of many, if not most, traditional whites in Rioja, some of which age for many years. We had a 1970 2 years ago and it was pretty magnificent.
For sweet red varieties, I second Concords. I'd also suggest Lambrusco, possibly frizzante (slightly sparkling). Moscatos and Muscadines (white, red, and blush) are very prevalent and easily accessed in the market these days. Two of the more popular and well-structured are Saracco Moscato d'Asti and Cascinetta Vietti Moscato d'Asti. There are also a few Moldovan reds that are fruity, sweet, and balanced.

Add Reply

Likes (0)