I'm looking at buying a SUV and have it down to Land Rover LR3 and Toyota 4Runner.

I hear terrible things about the Land Rover reliability..but it's mostly from people who haven't ever owned one and have just "heard" about someone who had a lot of problems. Anyone here have either SUV ? How do you like it? I have driven them both and much prefer the style and ride of the LR3...but again, would prefer to avoid the headache of constant repairs.

By the way- it's between a Certified-Pre-owned LR3 (2007 with <20k miles, warranty to 75k miles) vs. a new 4Runner (2008).
Original Post
Sarbuze-

Regarding the LR: Throw me in the pile with 'never owned one', however being ITB (on the engineering side) and dealing often with Ford, the inside story is that there's a real issue with their transmissions.

An expensive 'issue' if this happens to you.
I like the vehicle. But I'd think thrice.

Don't know much about Toyota's products from the inside.

On a side note: I'd think anyone even considering an SUV in this market should find some real deals.
Let the carbon footprint be on your conscience. Razz
Pretty simple. If you want a "vanilla" SUV, with excellent reliability, above average resale value and a superior dealer network, the Toyota is your choice.

If you're looking for a less reliable SUV, with lower resale, a good dealer network, but a vehicle that actually has a personality, the LR3 is the way to go.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Pretty simple. If you want a "vanilla" SUV, with excellent reliability, above average resale value and a superior dealer network, the Toyota is your choice.

If you're looking for a less reliable SUV, with lower resale, a good dealer network, but a vehicle that actually has a personality, the LR3 is the way to go.

PH

I gotta' say, PH.
I think ya actually nailed it. Wink
That pretty much sums it up.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Pretty simple. If you want a "vanilla" SUV, with excellent reliability, above average resale value and a superior dealer network, the Toyota is your choice.

If you're looking for a less reliable SUV, with lower resale, a good dealer network, but a vehicle that actually has a personality, the LR3 is the way to go.

PH

I gotta' say, PH.
I think ya actually nailed it. Wink
That pretty much sums it up.
That's why we bought our 4 door Jeep Wrangler (the latter reason). For more anectodal advice, I have a close friend who has had an LR3 for 3 years with no major issues, he still loves the thing, it's great offroad if you're so inclined, and its still a very nice looking vehicle.
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
That's why we bought our 4 door Jeep Wrangler (the latter reason).

This vehicle definately does have personality.
It's the opposite spectrum from the LR, certainly.

Loved the Jeep so much, I owned a Wranger (TJ) for several years (200k miles), until I rolled it on the 401 one January evening when the road went black ice.

Went for the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Overland and absolutely loved it, but the 5.7L Hemi was a complete gas pig.

(sorry for the thread drift, sarbuze)
Yeah we love our Wrangler Unlimited (JK), its great in the summer with the top off and can't be beat in the snow or muck.

To get it back on topic (kinda), we're actually considering selling the jeep and picking up a lightly used Range Rover (as opposed to the LR3). Land Rover as a brand does not seem to hold their resale value particularly well so why not pick up a 3 year old $100k+ vehicle for $40k. They have almost the same offroad prowess as the jeep but obviously offer quite a bit more in terms of refinement and luxury.
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
Yeah we love our Wrangler Unlimited (JK), its great in the summer with the top off and can't be beat in the snow or muck.

To get it back on topic (kinda), we're actually considering selling the jeep and picking up a lightly used Range Rover (as opposed to the LR3). Land Rover as a brand does not seem to hold their resale value particularly well so why not pick up a 3 year old $100k+ vehicle for $40k. They have almost the same offroad prowess as the jeep but obviously offer quite a bit more in terms of refinement and luxury.


As I mentioned my only cars up to this point were jeeps (YJ with a lift kit, Cherokee, then a 2005 TJ)- I love them.

But, I want something with a bit of a smoother ride and some nice luxury features. That said, the LR3 (or Range) is more than capable (the dealership I went to had a rock course and took me on it- wow is it amazing what those things can do stock).

I haven't made a decision yet, but because of the lost resale value, it's very enticing to get a 2006/7 LR3 at less than half the cost of it new- I am not concerned with resale beyond that since I'll have it for at least 3-4 years!

Dunder: Glad to see we think alike!
We considered buying the 4-door Jeep when we just got here in Oman. But decided against it because it is only available in automatic (here at least) which is useless in the desert. A friend of us who has one of those ended up with a burning clutch during a desert trip... Roll Eyes

We now have a 2-door Wrangler Limited from 1993. It's great off-road. No comfort, no luxury, but a fantastic toy car.
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
sorry I am crunch nut, cannot stand those oversized heaping scraps of metal on the roads.


"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." - Eric Cartman


Cartman needs to squeeze his fat ass into some type of vehicle, I guess an SUV will do. I hope that others also are not following the same logic.
mareff: gotcha! I have to say that I am all for more fuel efficient vehicles and would love a Prius, but I have 3 large dogs and do a lot of traveling with them. I also do a lot of skiing, hiking, etc that requires me to carry a lot of gear with the dogs in the vehicle- a car is out of the question.

A more fuel efficient SUV would be OK, but the prices on the hybrid SUV's are very high at this point.

And hey, at least I'm not looking at a Ford Excursion or Lincoln Navigator..or a Hummer!! Smile
When save the planet libs start to commit suicide to decrease their carbon footprint then I'll start to take them seriously. Until then they are hypocritics who need to worry about themselves and stop trying to meddle in others affairs.

I'm joking, but only a little.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×