Skip to main content

Ok, what's cooking for this shing ding?

We always have a theme to honor the teams, so:

Pittsburgh is the home of Heinz ketchup and Klondike bars, wonderful junk food there.

Arizona -chimichangas

I always honor the Cowboys so I'll have a big bowl of marshmallows for them.

Then the usual hot wings and nachos.

Probably no wine.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We've hosted a Superbowl every year for maybe the last thirty years. We'll have out a lot of different things to eat during the pregame and first half-

A selection of cheeses- 5 year old Gouda, Rocastin, Chevre, Tallegio

Foie gras with freshly shaved black truffles

Suppressata

Shrimp with aioli

Crudite

Chips, Tostitos, and 2 dips

Hot nachos

Pigs in blankets

Drinks will include water, soda, beer, red and white wine, mixed drinks, single malt

At half time, we put out a platter catered by a local kosher deli

Dessert will be some good bakery cookies and coffee
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Hey, to put things in perspective, the wines I'll be opening will be 2007 Chateau Lamothe de Haux and 2007 La Garrigue Cotes-du-Rhone, and I'll be pouring them into unbreakable polycarbonate stemware. If somebody wants to try something more, I might open a Seghesio Zin.

we will be having a vertical of miller and coors light. just maybe the women will pop a fetzer blush or yellowtail. its okay with me, the company is great and they have some funny old military stories.
Classic!!! While I would never rule out wine with any occasion, the superbowl is well suited for Beer! In between "verticals" of Miller, I would suggest a nice Belgian Ale such as a Double or Triple Grimbergen, a great substitute for wine when beer is on the menu!
quote:
Originally posted by errestaurants:
quote:
Hey, to put things in perspective, the wines I'll be opening will be 2007 Chateau Lamothe de Haux and 2007 La Garrigue Cotes-du-Rhone, and I'll be pouring them into unbreakable polycarbonate stemware. If somebody wants to try something more, I might open a Seghesio Zin.

we will be having a vertical of miller and coors light. just maybe the women will pop a fetzer blush or yellowtail. its okay with me, the company is great and they have some funny old military stories.
quote:
CSM, my favorite Vince Lombardi quote is a different one. One of his players (I don't remember which one) celebrated after scoring a touchdown. When he got back to the sideline, Lombardi told him, "Act like you've been there before."

Lots of good ones. Some of my other favourites.

"Leaders aren't born they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that's the price we'll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal"

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time."

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we relentlessly chase perfection we can catch excellence. I am not even remotely interested in being just good."

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Board-O:
If I may inquire, since you are serving shrimp, why get a platter from a "Kosher deli"? I would assume that it is not for religious observance reasons, but because the food is good.
Enjoy the game.

BINGO! Their food is excellent. One person coming here is kosher and he'll obviously pass on the shrimp, but he'll eat the deli on an disposable plastic plate.
Okay, in addition the to B.E., there will be lots of game birds on the grill, lots of sausages on the grill, lots of veggie trays, probably some frogs legs, lots of chips and dips, and multiple styles of chili.

As for the liquid angle, there will probably be two different kegs, lots of bottled beer, lots of wine (I will be bringing a case over myself), and quite likely some tequila shots.

Thank goodness I don't have school on Monday!!!!
I'm hosting a pre-game lunch. My kids and grandkids, a cousin and his family and my younger brother and his family will attend. Due to some strange genetic quirk, none of them are remotely interested in the Super Bowl. Confused

NV Champagne Feuillatte Blanc de Blancs
Assorted Cheeses and Baguette

2006 Ch. Ste. Michelle Riesling Eroica
Curried Shrimp Salad
Bacon Wrapped Diver Scallops

1995 Casanova di Neri Brunello
Sauteed Wild Mushrooms with Goat Cheese Crostini

2003 Don Melchor
2001 Clos Apalta
Veal and Mushrooms in Phyllo with Port Wine Reduction
Grilled Baby Back Ribs 2 ways (dry and wet)

2003 La Tour Blanche
Cheesecake

Then off to my buddy's house for Super Bowl and lots of water......... Eek

PH
Just me and my roomate and a couple buddies. Assorted cheeses and crackers and chips and dips and a crockpot of chili so people can just snack and help themselves during the game. They are mostly beer drinkers but I will pop something for myself for sure and let them try some. I was thinking about a 2004 Tinto Pesquera Ribera del Duero Tempranillo.
I just made a bacon explosion for tomorrow (assembled, not actually smoked yet). Wow, I can't wait to taste how that's gonna turn out...

I used the rub I use for pulled pork, so I'm a little concerned it'll be too spicy, but it's what I had on hand without griding up a bunch of spices. For sauce, I made a batch of homemade - I hate bottled bbq sauce.

At least it's something new...
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I'm hosting a pre-game lunch. My kids and grandkids, a cousin and his family and my younger brother and his family will attend. Due to some strange genetic quirk, none of them are remotely interested in the Super Bowl. Confused

NV Champagne Feuillatte Blanc de Blancs
Assorted Cheeses and Baguette

2006 Ch. Ste. Michelle Riesling Eroica
Curried Shrimp Salad
Bacon Wrapped Diver Scallops

1995 Casanova di Neri Brunello
Sauteed Wild Mushrooms with Goat Cheese Crostini

2003 Don Melchor
2001 Clos Apalta
Veal and Mushrooms in Phyllo with Port Wine Reduction
Grilled Baby Back Ribs 2 ways (dry and wet)

2003 La Tour Blanche
Cheesecake

Then off to my buddy's house for Super Bowl and lots of water......... Eek

PH

Wow, what a line-up!

Please post your thoughts on the Eroica, if you are able to recall it. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.