I'm aware that headaches from wine have often been discussed on these boards. But my situation may be a bit different.

I normally drink about 375 ml (3 glasses) almost every day, usually Cali cabs or Cali or Oregon Pinots (I'm not much into whites).

Recently, after drinking my first glass of my usual go-to wine(s), I sense a headache developing, and by the time I finish the second glass I have a full-blown headache.

Nothing has changed in my diet or meds. Before mentioning this to my doc, I'm curious to know whether anyone else here has experienced this sudden change?

Thanks for your attention
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poquelin:
Before mentioning this to my doc, I'm curious to know whether anyone else here has experienced this sudden change?
Thanks for your attention


Good Lord man. This is a wine board. What does our opinion or experience matter?? (other than the occasional doctor who may post here, that is) You're getting sudden and unexplained headaches. Call your damn doctor. I say this with all due respect and concern for your condition, but you don't go to a plumbing website to get electrical advice.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

Good Lord man. This is a wine board. What does our opinion or experience matter?? (other than the occasional doctor who may post here, that is) You're getting sudden and unexplained headaches. Call your damn doctor. I say this with all due respect and concern for your condition, but you don't go to a plumbing website to get electrical advice.

PH


I'm seeing my doc on Monday. But in the meantime, I am curious to know whether any members here have experienced these sudden changes from wine.

I'm not asking for medical advice, and I don't agree that my query was out of place on this forum, since I don't get headaches out of the blue; only after drinking WINE
Occasionally, wine will give me a headache if I'm drinking while dehydrated.

Also, this happens if I drink too much Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
Occasionally, wine will give me a headache if I'm drinking while dehydrated.

Also, this happens if I drink too much Big Grin


aml: thanks, this makes sense; not to go into graphic details, but I've had a bad case of the runs, which does cause dehydration. So that may be it. But still seeing my doc
quote:
Originally posted by Poquelin:
... not to go into graphic details, but I've had a bad case of the runs......


How much more graphic were you planning on getting????? Ack

Glad you're seeing a doc. Hope you get better.

PH
Well...He could describe the colour, the smell, draw comparisons about the consistency, and discuss frequency.
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
Well...He could describe the colour, the smell, draw comparisons about the consistency, and discuss frequency.


Correct: I didn't want to supply TMI Ack
Poquelin,

I just did a quick review of your previous posts. It seems you've posted here about the following medical side effects that you've experienced from drinking wine:

1) Mood swings
2) Rashes
3) Sores in the corners of your mouth

And now headaches. I'm going to give you some advice. Quit drinking wine. It doesn't seem to agree with you.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
Occasionally, wine will give me a headache if I'm drinking while dehydrated.

Also, this happens if I drink too much Big Grin


Ditto. Up your water intake and see what happens.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Poquelin,

I just did a quick review of your previous posts. It seems you've posted here about the following medical side effects that you've experienced from drinking wine:

1) Mood swings
2) Rashes
3) Sores in the corners of your mouth

And now headaches. I'm going to give you some advice. Quit drinking wine. It doesn't seem to agree with you.

PH
I only have two things to say to that:

1. I admit being a bit of a hypochondriac
2. PH: you've got too much time on your hands Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Poquelin,

I just did a quick review of your previous posts. It seems you've posted here about the following medical side effects that you've experienced from drinking wine:

1) Mood swings
2) Rashes
3) Sores in the corners of your mouth

And now headaches. I'm going to give you some advice. Quit drinking wine. It doesn't seem to agree with you.

PH

LOL LOL

There are other symptoms in store of course. For example, after drinking a few glasses, you may find yourself wanting to urinate.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Poquelin,

I just did a quick review of your previous posts. It seems you've posted here about the following medical side effects that you've experienced from drinking wine:

1) Mood swings
2) Rashes
3) Sores in the corners of your mouth

And now headaches. I'm going to give you some advice. Quit drinking wine. It doesn't seem to agree with you.

PH


Has wine ever caused priapism, Poquelin?
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Poquelin,

I just did a quick review of your previous posts. It seems you've posted here about the following medical side effects that you've experienced from drinking wine:

1) Mood swings
2) Rashes
3) Sores in the corners of your mouth

And now headaches. I'm going to give you some advice. Quit drinking wine. It doesn't seem to agree with you.

PH

LOL LOL

There are other symptoms in store of course. For example, after drinking a few glasses, you may find yourself wanting to urinate.

And the runs! Woot

Are you drinking Bio wines at all, Poquelin? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
They are coming out with a generic form of viagra: Mycoxaphlopin.


Well, I do not think there is anyone on this forum old enough to need this drug, but thanks for the information. Smile

How long does a drug have to be in the marketplace before it goes generic? I was thinking 20+ years, no?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
They are coming out with a generic form of viagra: Mycoxaphlopin.


Well, I do not think there is anyone on this forum old enough to need this drug, but thanks for the information. Smile

How long does a drug have to be in the marketplace before it goes generic? I was thinking 20+ years, no?


I think you missed the joke Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

How long does a drug have to be in the marketplace before it goes generic? I was thinking 20+ years, no?




Drug patents are 20 years. Because they are often patented as early as clinical trials, the "effective" patent can be much shorter.

PH
quote:
Recently, after drinking my first glass of my usual go-to wine(s), I sense a headache developing, and by the time I finish the second glass I have a full-blown headache.


Well, if it is just some wines that cause this, stop buying those wines. (Of course if it's really all wines you should stop drinking wine until you and your doctor figure out the cause.) Also, if it's just some wines that cause the reaction, you should learn and pay attention to the early sensations of a headache coming on and stop drinking the offending wine immediately.
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:

Well, if it is just some wines that cause this, stop buying those wines. (Of course if it's really all wines you should stop drinking wine until you and your doctor figure out the cause.) Also, if it's just some wines that cause the reaction, you should learn and pay attention to the early sensations of a headache coming on and stop drinking the offending wine immediately.


Thanks, yhn, but, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't come for advice. I have a perfectly qualified MD for that.

If you re-read my original post, all I asked was, "I'm curious to know whether anyone else here has experienced this sudden change?"
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Poquelin,

I just did a quick review of your previous posts. It seems you've posted here about the following medical side effects that you've experienced from drinking wine:

1) Mood swings
2) Rashes
3) Sores in the corners of your mouth

And now headaches. I'm going to give you some advice. Quit drinking wine. It doesn't seem to agree with you.

PH


Has wine ever caused priapism, Poquelin?



Now there is a word you dont hear very often! Nice! I actually had 2 questions on my boards in regards to Priapism.....I find too many glasses of wine gives me the urge to procreate Wink
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

I find too many glasses of wine gives me the urge to procreate Wink


Well, I'm glad we are having a cigar off-line! Eek Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

I find too many glasses of wine gives me the urge to procreate Wink


Well, I'm glad we are having a cigar off-line! Eek Wink

What happens in Vegas....
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:

I find too many glasses of wine gives me the urge to procreate Wink


Well, I'm glad we are having a cigar off-line! Eek Wink



HA! I bet you are glad we arent sharing a room eh? Banana
quote:
Originally posted by Poquelin:
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:

Well, if it is just some wines that cause this, stop buying those wines. (Of course if it's really all wines you should stop drinking wine until you and your doctor figure out the cause.) Also, if it's just some wines that cause the reaction, you should learn and pay attention to the early sensations of a headache coming on and stop drinking the offending wine immediately.


Thanks, yhn, but, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't come for advice. I have a perfectly qualified MD for that.

If you re-read my original post, all I asked was, "I'm curious to know whether anyone else here has experienced this sudden change?"


You also mentioned having go-to wines, so I'm wondering if your assumption that it's a sudden reaction to all wine is correct or not. Seeing as you both mentioned that you continue to drink a wine that you know is giving you a headache and that you insist on drinking wine again knowing it'll give you a headache, this isn't clear.

Also note that on forums, though you may be the person posing the original question, broader advice may be of interest to other people reading the thread.

Anyway, I did have a cluster in a short period of time of wines from one region giving me a migraine. Before and since this is quite rare for me - and I do follow my own advice, so it no longer ruins my evening.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×