Storing Wine in the Garage

First off: Hi! I'm new to this forum and fairly new to wine collecting. My question has probably been asked and answered before but I wasn't able to find anything when I did a search. So, I apologize ahead of time.

So, here's my question:
The only place in my house where I can store wine is in my garage which is un-insulated. I'm planning to get a refrigerated storage cabinet and place it against an interior brick wall. I live in the SF Bay Area where the temperature rarely gets above 100f or below 32f. But we do have heat waves and cold snaps where those temps can last for several days.

I'm not worried about the hot days but I am worried about what happens if we get a week of 40 or below temps. When the cold weather lasts that long my garage will get just as cold as out-of-doors. And even though the cabinet will be insulated the cabinet will eventually reach ambient temperate.

Do I need to worry about the wine getting that cold for a couple of days? I doubt that it will get cold enough to actually freeze the wine but the wine could easily get down into the 40's or 30's.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Jim
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimjimmyjimjim:
First off: Hi! I'm new to this forum and fairly new to wine collecting. My question has probably been asked and answered before but I wasn't able to find anything when I did a search. So, I apologize ahead of time.

So, here's my question:
The only place in my house where I can store wine is in my garage which is un-insulated. I'm planning to get a refrigerated storage cabinet and place it against an interior brick wall. I live in the SF Bay Area where the temperature rarely gets above 100f or below 32f. But we do have heat waves and cold snaps where those temps can last for several days.

I'm not worried about the hot days but I am worried about what happens if we get a week of 40 or below temps. When the cold weather lasts that long my garage will get just as cold as out-of-doors. And even though the cabinet will be insulated the cabinet will eventually reach ambient temperate.

Do I need to worry about the wine getting that cold for a couple of days? I doubt that it will get cold enough to actually freeze the wine but the wine could easily get down into the 40's or 30's.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Jim

The average bottle of wine will start to freeze around 20F. As long as the temperature of your wine remains fairly constant without sudden swings in temperature you should be fine.

PH
Suggestion to get off site storage is a good one. Wine cooler units are only designed to work within an ambient temperature range of 20 degrees wamer than the targeted cellar temp. If you use 56 degrees as a cellar temp, that means a maximum ambient temperature in your garage of 76 before you run into trouble. Unless you can insulate/cool your garage adequately offsite storage is the better option.
I get scared every time I read about people storing wine in their garage. Even in a cooler. The high temp for SF is 100 degrees. The garage temp may end up around 90 degrees. The cooler will be at 75 degrees, maybe. But what about those heat swings from when you bring into the garage a nice 120 degree solid metal heated vehicle. Go into your garage on one of those 100 degree days after you drove your car out in the blazing sun for an hour - after the car has sat inside the closed garage for 30 minutes.

Nothing worse than the noisy and vibrations.  Hate 'em.

Really depends a lot on the garage, insulation and orientation.  My garage faces NNW and is heavily shaded and surrounded by climate controlled rooms on 3 sides.  I've never seen the temperature in my garage over 75º F.  If I'd taken the time to check this out when moving in, all my wine coolers would be in the garage.

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)