Very nice find.

Still don't think anyone has been proven right. Despite being shutdown early that year Strasburg has had elbow and shoulder issues. This is only the second season in his career he has cracked 200 innings. This is only Washington's 3rd trip to the post season since 2012 despite the money and talent on that team. Sports are hard. Winning titles is hard. That's why I'm of the opinion you go for it when you have a chance.

Although Strasburg was totally against the shutdown at the time, he's since admitted that it was for the best and that has likely helped his career.  It's also generally accepted here in DC that the Nats' handling of the shutdown, which was done with the player's health and future as a primary consideration and other examples of player focused culture (Daniel Hudson's recent paternity leave for example)  will greatly enhance DC's chances for retaining Stras when his opt-out clause comes up this post-season.

Agree that winning titles is hard.  You don't have to sell that argument too aggressively to a DC sports fan.  But going for a title at the risk of a young athlete's health and future is morally questionable.  Strasburg's metamorphosis from fireballing fastball pitcher to a more nuanced hurler with less reliance on power has had a LOT to do with his longevity this and last season.  His curve and change this year have been filthy.

Jack, your argument that you  "...don't think anyone has been proven right," is ultimately one that can never be proved.  We can't go back in time to see what would have happened if they'd continued to keep Stras in the rotation.  Would they have gone to the WS?  Would Strasburg have blown his arm out again, leading to a highly likely end to his career?  Who knows?  I do know that we have a healthy ace and that the Nat's are going to the Fall Classic. Pretty hard to argue that there wasn't merit to the shutdown, in my opinion.

PH

jburman82 posted:

As I said earlier, no one will ever be proven right. I agree there was merit to the shutdown. I also think there is merit for going for it. I will admit I was too harsh in my assessment to absolutely 100% go for it. I'm probably 65%-35% go for it now.

The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind. 

William Blake

Funny, I was 90% for the shutdown at the time.  I'm 100% now.

PH

purplehaze posted:

Let's combine 2 very hypothetical scenarios.  Assume the Nats didn't shut Strasburg down.  The Nats make it to the WS, and Stras blows his arm out in game 7.  The Nationals win the Series.  Strasburg's career is over.  Worth it?

PH

For the team and the fans, most likely.  Flags fly forever.  

Not exactly the same thing, but the Raptors traded away one of their most popular players ever for 1 year of Kawhi, and it paid off.  I don't know anyone that thinks the fact they won't be in title contention again for at least a few years didn't make the trade worth it. 

purplehaze posted:

Let's combine 2 very hypothetical scenarios.  Assume the Nats didn't shut Strasburg down.  The Nats make it to the WS, and Stras blows his arm out in game 7.  The Nationals win the Series.  Strasburg's career is over.  Worth it?

PH

I’d love to see the that question posed to Strasburg.

billhike posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

I’d love to see the that question posed to Strasburg.

Asked and answered.  At least about the shutdown.  He was against it at the time, and now thinks that it was for the best.  

You can win at any cost, or win doing things the right way.  Regardless, the fact that he's healthy, pitching at the pinnacle of his abilities and... starting in game 1 or 2 of the WS is a win in my book.  This whole season has been a win for DC and the Nats, no matter what happens next week.

PH

billhike posted:

I’m rooting for them. The Nats winning without Bryce will be almost as enjoyable to me as the Blues winning without the asswipe David Backes.

Heh...  I think the Nats will pick up some national support, especially if we end up playing the Damn Yankees!  Either team will make a formidable opponent, though.  

As I've said before, the Nats are playing with house money at this point.  I love the camaraderie and spirit of this team.  Hell, I even love that damn baby shark shite!  GO NATS!

PH

csm posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

For the team and the fans, most likely.  Flags fly forever.  

Not exactly the same thing, but the Raptors traded away one of their most popular players ever for 1 year of Kawhi, and it paid off.  I don't know anyone that thinks the fact they won't be in title contention again for at least a few years didn't make the trade worth it. 

Yeah, for the fans. For Him, probably not.

You can play a bunch of different scenarios out. Ask this question last October and what's the answer?

Add Reply

Likes (0)