special bottle poll

Hard to answer for me. I've opened half bottles of 1953 Petrus for my wife and me. I've opened Imperials (6 liters) of 1979 Pichon Lalande and 1979 Leoville Las Cases for groups of 40-50. Assuming you're talking about a 750, it depends on the occasion. It could be for our anniversary and just the two of us, or it could be for a group at an offline. I would hate to open a special trophy bottle, like a DRC, for more than 6 people.
It' very hard to say.

Consider one extreme- the anniversary party this past summer during which our friends opened the '82 Latour, among many other trophies- there were 30 people in attendance, and everyone that wanted a taste got one- in fact a few of us got a couple of tastes. In fact, only a few of those wines were finished that first night. Yes, tastes were very small, but i don't think anyone cared much about the size of the pour- it was about celebrating a special night with friends and some terrific wines. So if a crowd is of one mind and respectful of one another, a trophy can indeed be enjoyed by a lot of people.

I would never open a trophy bottle just for Domino and I, unless it was an anniversary bottle...though even then I don't know if I could do it. I'd have to have already shared a bottle or have more bottles in the cellar to share another time- then I could burn one on just the two of us. Still, I think we'd probably invite a few friends to celebrate with us and share the experience.

So in my world, I think 5-8 is about right, perhaps three couples being ideal. Everyone can still get a fairly good-sized pour that could be followed over a couple of hours if need be.
I could really go with anything but choice E, (and even E is sometimes fun!), but ultimately, my favorite way is to enjoy with 2 or 3 close wine geek friends, so we can savor and discuss over a few hours while the wine evolves in the glass, usually with another bottle or two open for comparing and contrasting. Therefore, I chose C.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
It' very hard to say.


I would never open a trophy bottle just for Domino and I, unless it was an anniversary bottle...though even then I don't know if I could do it. I'd have to have already shared a bottle or have more bottles in the cellar to share another time- then I could burn one on just the two of us. Still, I think we'd probably invite a few friends to celebrate with us and share the experience.

So in my world, I think 5-8 is about right, perhaps three couples being ideal. Everyone can still get a fairly good-sized pour that could be followed over a couple of hours if need be.


Agree with most of what you said, except that I would open a special bottle for just the Mrs. and I. But I think 5-8 would be a nice number in general.
My approach is a little different- I open whatever whenever. Life's short, if the wine is ready I might drink it on a Tuesday night in front of the tube. There will be other wines at other times, I'm not going to sweat it. OTOH if there are a few people to share with then even better.
Yes....it depends. I only have a couple dozen bottles or so that I consider truly special, only in that I'll likely never be able to replace them. I've opened most of my previous "preciouses" with groups of 4-6 and one with two dear friends during a wonderful dinner.

I'm saving the rest for special moments. I don't know what they are yet, but I'll know them when I see them.

I voted "c" just because it's the closest to my track record so far.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
My approach is a little different- I open whatever whenever. Life's short, if the wine is ready I might drink it on a Tuesday night in front of the tube. There will be other wines at other times, I'm not going to sweat it. OTOH if there are a few people to share with then even better.


that just means you have no "special" bottles ;-)

though I'm with you on this, I've randomly opened a fonseca 77 just because I wanted something that was ready to drink.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Yes....it depends. I only have a couple dozen bottles or so that I consider truly special, only in that I'll likely never be able to replace them. I've opened most of my previous "preciouses" with groups of 4-6 and one with two dear friends during a wonderful dinner.

I'm saving the rest for special moments. I don't know what they are yet, but I'll know them when I see them.

I voted "c" just because it's the closest to my track record so far.

PH


bring one up to NY and I'll cook protein of your choosing ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Yes....it depends. I only have a couple dozen bottles or so that I consider truly special, only in that I'll likely never be able to replace them. I've opened most of my previous "preciouses" with groups of 4-6 and one with two dear friends during a wonderful dinner.

I'm saving the rest for special moments. I don't know what they are yet, but I'll know them when I see them.

I voted "c" just because it's the closest to my track record so far.

PH


bring one up to NY and I'll cook protein of your choosing ;-)


Cool Winner

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×