Thistlin

I am not a buyer of Ghost Horse for my cellar, but then again, I am not a buyer of any $500 btls of wine. That being said, any consumer who is buying Harlan, Screaming Eagle, Colgin, Araujo, Shafer Hillside, Futo, Levy and McClellan, Abreu, Grace...the list goes on and on and on, should strongly consider the $500 Ghost Horse Napa Cabernet.

In a BLIND tasting of many great Napa Cabs (its peers), this wine was the clear winner for the night. Araujo was a distant second place. Harlan nowhere to be found. Grace was garbage. Futo sucked...etc...etc...

Of course, if you have a budget like me, then it is apples to oranges. However, when comparing apples to apples, Ghost Horse was the best "red delicious."
I want to know if the Spectre dinner is worth it. It sounds too good to be true.
Here is the contract.

This agreement is between _____________________________ (client) and Ghost Horse Vineyards (GHV).
Price for the GHV Spectre dinner is $45,000. is price includes delivery of 12 bottles of Ghost Horse Spectre wine by
Todd G. Anderson for your cellar. Catering of any kind is the responsibility of the client.
THIS DINNER PACKAGE INCLUDES: DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL
• Todd’s attendance with his industry education experience;
• The assistance of Dave Bryant in providing pre-event phone consulting to you or your staff for suggestions and
wine-food advice to help produce an evening of excellent food and wine pairings;
• Ghost Horse Spectre and some Conn Valley wines paired to compliment your event reception, meal, and
dessert, for a party of up to 12;
We do realize that everyone has specic tastes, needs, and desires. Todd and Dave will work with you to provide the
best possible party. For larger groups, approval prior to the event is required in writing by Ghost Horse Vineyards.
An estimated guest count will be required when reserving your date. A guaranteed guest count will be required no
less than 15 days prior to your event. (If a new guest count number is not supplied by that time, then the estimated
guest count will become the guaranteed guest count.)
A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the event fee, or $22,500, is required at time of signing this dinner reservation
agreement. e remaining balance will be billed to your guaranteed credit card 10 days prior to the event.
GHOST HORSE DINNER RESERVATION
I acknowledge and understand the terms stated here.
Client Todd Anderson/Ghost Horse Vineyards
signature signature
printed name printed name
date date
Big Grin Thanks for the update DRAB. The TOL Spectre is $3,500/bottle!!!

I took special note of the photo gallery. Note to The Todd: Might want to let the creative team know that high noon is not the best time to do pastoral photos in the vineyards. And holy dry ice and fog machine!

I especially love how he's coming out of the mist while heroically military pressing a (presumably) full barrel. My he's manly!
I preferred the Rage intro, and I will forever have a hard time reconciling the fact that The Todd runs both ACV and GHW. I recently had an '07 ACV Prologue Cabernet that was the best $20 Cab I've had in years.

But after all the "I can't afford the wine, but The Todd was cool when I stopped by" stories, and a fairly consistent opinion that the wines are at least special, I've come to the opinion that if this is part of how ACV's Prologue Cabernet and Right Bank bottlings remain at their current respective price points, I hope The Todd can continue to sell one or two of those million dollar barrels of Spectre each year.
A close up look at our hand etched back labels. Probably the only wine in the world with the wine makers cell, home and e-mail information on it. Todd is passionate about his commitment to his wines and his customers. He's the one and only we call, "The Todd." Roll Eyes

He is, indeed, a PUTZ!! ROFLMAO!!! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Are you guys certain that this is not a giant put-on?

This is CERTAINLY for real.

The ACV wines are really nice, although I found the Prologue to be kind of hollow with no finish whatsoever...but the rest of the lineup is quite solid.

The Ghost Horse wines are priced into the stratosphere, and The Todd has a larger-than-life persona, but at least when you visit for a tour he lets you taste them and tells the story behind them.
quote:
Originally posted by dannyk8232:
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Are you guys certain that this is not a giant put-on?

This is CERTAINLY for real.

The ACV wines are really nice, although I found the Prologue to be kind of hollow with no finish whatsoever...but the rest of the lineup is quite solid.

The Ghost Horse wines are priced into the stratosphere, and The Todd has a larger-than-life persona, but at least when you visit for a tour he lets you taste them and tells the story behind them.

I love it - "The Todd".

Could you imagine dropping $50K+ to have him and a chef come to your house to host a dinner for you and 11 of your finest friends? Is that "cool" or just uber-douche-baggery? Not sure honestly...
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Could you imagine dropping $50K+ to have him and a chef come to your house to host a dinner for you and 11 of your finest friends? Is that "cool" or just uber-douche-baggery? Not sure honestly...

While I've come to accept the GHW project as to Todd Anderson, and don't feel he's a complete douche, quite to the contrary in fact, I'm not so sure about people who drop $50,000 for a dinner for 12, or some of the other offers there. If I had the money to do so, or was accustomed to seeing that kind of money change hands in one evening, I might feel otherwise. I lean heavily towards "uber-douche-baggery."

I'm pretty sure you could get various other winemakers to your house for dinner for much less, and donate the rest to something (at least some family member's education) though you might need to actually know something about wine to know whom to ask.

Frankly, if through normal wine world interaction you crossed paths with Todd Anderson, had an event he found interesting, he'd probably show up with some GHW and ACV wines (probably only one bottle of GHW, and maybe *only* the regular cab or fantome), for free.

The Spectre dinner is what you do when you have no knowledge, appreciation or experience, but do have a ton of money, and want to "belong" (GHW's word, not mine).
quote:
Originally posted by Montsant:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

While I've come to accept the GHW project as to Todd Anderson, and don't feel he's a complete douche, quite to the contrary in fact, I'm not so sure about people who drop $50,000 for a dinner for 12, or some of the other offers there. If I had the money to do so, or was accustomed to seeing that kind of money change hands in one evening, I might feel otherwise. I lean heavily towards "uber-douche-baggery."

I'm pretty sure you could get various other winemakers to your house for dinner for much less, and donate the rest to something (at least some family member's education) though you might need to actually know something about wine to know whom to ask.

Frankly, if through normal wine world interaction you crossed paths with Todd Anderson, had an event he found interesting, he'd probably show up with some GHW and ACV wines (probably only one bottle of GHW, and maybe *only* the regular cab or fantome), for free.

The Spectre dinner is what you do when you have no knowledge, appreciation or experience, but do have a ton of money, and want to "belong" (GHW's word, not mine).

Agreed - I think he's "preying" if you will on the crowd who wants to be flashy and who would just buy large quantities of expensive wine with little knowledge as a status symbol. If he can make money catering to that crowd then good for him. The "cult of personality" aspect of it is what rubs me the wrong way.

Not to say there aren't other winemakers out there with "celebrity" status (and of course you get people like Michel Rolland, Abreu etc. who turn to gold most of what they touch) but I find at least some of these guys to have a touch of humility and may say something to the effect of "it's really all in the terroir and proper maintenance of the vineyard and [I] just brought out the potential of the grapes." In other words the winemaker's job is to "not screw up." Of course we know that winemakers mess with style all the time, make wines 'big' - cater to the tastes of the reviewers etc.

Anyway - he just takes it to a new level Smile
I will admit that, after these discussions and the 40+ (50+?, 60+?) pages of discussion on eBob a couple years ago, and all the GHW stories since, I'd rather listen to Todd's ego than other winemakers' feigned humility. I mean, he wouldn't be my first choice, but he'd be in the top 10 if not the top 5.

If you can find the discussion on eBob, Todd participate a lot. You won't likely find all of it pleasant, but there is a fair amount of non-bs from him, and all of it is interesting.
yup, i can't agree enough. he's pretty cool in person, and Dave Bryant is the man. Todd has a big persona, but he's not what the website makes him out to be (granted, i'm sure he had a lot to do with that site). At the end of the day, he has buyers. And the wines are certainly solid (both ACV and GHV). The ACV Eloge, Estate Cab, and RB are some of my favorites in the US, and rival much bigger names at much higher price points. They also have an extraordinary ability to age and (dare i say) rival the big name "agers" such as dominus and ridge.
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
I'm pretty sure you could get various other winemakers to your house for dinner for much less

Paul came to eat at my place and all I had to do was promise to cook a steak.....

Yes, but can Paul teach you how to ski, drive race cars, ride horses, hunt, smoke big cigars, wear cool Western clothes, and generally live the way of The Todd. I understand that Paul does know his way around a hot tub pretty well though. Eek
quote:
Paul came to eat at my place and all I had to do was promise to cook a steak.....

God I would love it if Paul revamped his website in competition with the Todd, but from an angle of Chicks, hot tubbing, and just an overall "Car Wash", Dolemite, Black Dynamite sort of way....

Well....we can dream, can't we.....
quote:
Originally posted by Montsant:
I will admit that, after these discussions and the 40+ (50+?, 60+?) pages of discussion on eBob a couple years ago, and all the GHW stories since, I'd rather listen to Todd's ego than other winemakers' feigned humility. I mean, he wouldn't be my first choice, but he'd be in the top 10 if not the top 5.

If you can find the discussion on eBob, Todd participate a lot. You won't likely find all of it pleasant, but there is a fair amount of non-bs from him, and all of it is interesting.

I guess that's a good point...feigned humility can be just as bad. If the guy has buyers and is successful I guess it's hard to argue. Just not my style.

I did a tasting at the winery back in 2012 and got to taste 2 Ghost Horse wines with the notes below.  I like Todd's Conn Valley wines and feel they are a good value for Napa cab.  I own 6 vintages of the cab and one of the Right Bank.  As a point of reference, I rated the 09 Right Bank a 94, the 09 Estate Cab a 93, the 08 Eloge a 92, and an 05 Black Label cab a 95 at the same tasting (2 whites and a pinot were scored 89-91).  I really liked the Apparation, but was not much of a fan of the Fantome, but the prices make no sense to me.  Both were ultra lush, which is not a style I gravitate to as I almost always drink wine with food.

2008 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon Fantome (7/25/2012)

By coincidence, I drank a 94 Dow's vintage port the previous evening at Bottega, and when I put this wine to my nose, it immediately registered a remarkable similarity to that port. Not suprisingly, it was extremely rich and ripe on the palate, but there was not enough tannin and acidity to keep it in balance to my palate. Those who like rich Amarones will like this wine more than I, but I found it a bit over the top. The Apparation which I also tasted was greatly preferred and I rated a classic wine. (90 pts.)

2008 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon Apparation (7/25/2012)

This had much more tannin and structure than the Fantome, but extremely rich fruit of currants and dark cherry as well. Also had high density, yet retained a very balanced profile and litheness akin to SQN wines. A very long (~ 1 min) finish that was still smooth at this young age. The wine drinks well now, but will get even better with age as this wine has the structure to age extremely well. A truly great wine. (96 pts.)

Add Reply

Likes (0)