Soldera wine destroyed

I know this winemaker. A great tragedy anyway you want to look at it. Yes the 2007 Brunello and the 2007 Riserva would already be bottled.

I feel for all involved. Not sure if I can grasp the thought of stand over merchants in Montalcino.
But in a post published today by the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino, the mayor of Montlacino, Silvio Franceshelli, is quoted as saying that, "any allusion to phenomena that bear the mark of the mafia are entirely imaginary."

Devil's advocate.

the guy is what 68? maybe he's tired of being a farmer/winemaker. take that insurance payout and live out the life selling older vintages of soldera that wans't dumped and enjoying his time on the almafi coast.
I have the district pleasure to meet with Gianfranco Soldera on 3 separate occasions. I have also met his daughter Monica as well. I have been treated to several older vintages of Case Basse (incl. the inaugural 1975 vintage). I can say that I can only imagine the heartache that the entire family would have felt when this heinous act was uncovered. Gianfranco tasted his wines daily from the botti and always said the wine would tell him when it was ready to be bottled. He normally had 5-6 vintages in botti and I am not sure if the 2007 would have been bottled or not since the last vintages have been released as Riservas. Say what you will about Soldera (eccentric, genious, curmudgeon, nut) the man has made beautiful wine and did not deserve to have his wine lost in this manner. We are all losers in this event.
60,000 liters equates to approx. 80,000 bottles of wine (assuming 750's). The retail value is roughly $16,000,000-$17,000,000. If his margins are 30-40% then the loss to the Soldera family is $5-7 million. Even if the wine loss is totally insured, then consider that 6 years of your life's work is gone. Truly tragic.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
60,000 liters equates to approx. 80,000 bottles of wine (assuming 750's). The retail value is roughly $16,000,000-$17,000,000. If his margins are 30-40% then the loss to the Soldera family is $5-7 million. Even if the wine loss is totally insured, then consider that 6 years of your life's work is gone. Truly tragic.

i'm at a loss with this concept

I'm pretty sure any major winery in the millions will have their stock insured so i'm sure he's probably going to get halfway between his cost and his retail price.

When you consider that you work to make money, in this particular situation it's 6 years of sales in a single day.

How's that tragic again?

Or is it tragic that we wine lovers will be missing 6 vintages of a particular wine?
Or are you saying that the past 6 years he was trying to build some kind of legacy where these last 6 vintages were never meant to be sold, but instead kepted in private family cellars? (which is that case, yes it would be tragic)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

I'm pretty sure any major winery in the millions will have their stock insured so i'm sure he's probably going to get halfway between his cost and his retail price.

When you consider that you work to make money, in this particular situation it's 6 years of sales in a single day.

How's that tragic again?

Or is it tragic that we wine lovers will be missing 6 vintages of a particular wine?
Or are you saying that the past 6 years he was trying to build some kind of legacy where these last 6 vintages were never meant to be sold, but instead kepted in private family cellars? (which is that case, yes it would be tragic)
G-man, if you have met the family and toured the cellar and garden/vineyard/ecosystem then you would understand what a tragedy it is for the family. They work real hard in the vineyard to make a truly great wine that they could easily sell out for more than double what is currently charged. The fact that his customers will not be able to enjoy these wines has to be crushing to this family.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

G-man, if you have met the family and toured the cellar and garden/vineyard/ecosystem then you would understand what a tragedy it is for the family. They work real hard in the vineyard to make a truly great wine that they could easily sell out for more than double what is currently charged. The fact that his customers will not be able to enjoy these wines has to be crushing to this family.

+1
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

How's that tragic again?

true, it certainly easier to relate once they're on a personal level.

I was simply speaking from my standpoint in my particular industry, I've personally seen tons of insurance frauds/scams/ponzi schemes where someone was just looking to cash out for retirement. My dad has also been a victim of a ponzi scheme where the individual running the scheme was 72 years old and my dad's reasoning for going in on the investment was "oh he's 72 yr old why would he run a scam". Simply call me the pessimistic new yawker
Interesting that he was one of the strong supporters and agitators for keeping Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino 100% sangiovese against the wishes of some of the big producers. He is also reputed to be one of the people who brought the brunellogate saga to the attention of the authorities.
So......
Some news from Italy (sorry, it's in Italian)

Corriere della Sera

Basically, an ex-employee at the vinery has been arrested. Apparently the reason for this absurd action is because another employee had been preferred to him when a small flat at disposal of the company had to be assigned, plus some other laughable reason on the same line.

Add Reply

Likes (0)