quote:
Originally posted by mjraica:
DON'T DO IT! I was a runner, got into the competitive side; now after an 8 yr career in it I have had 5 knee surgeries and am hoping to be able to walk without pain soon(.....) There are so many other, better, ways to burn them extra calories!

I hear you. I run about 25-30k per week, which is not that much. I run outside mostly up a mountain and on pebbles/soil path-no concrete. During the winter, I hit the gym for the treadmill. I think I'll be ok. Nothing competitive, though.
Try interval training on one of those bikes that has a fixed back. That way you can put all your effort into working out as hard as you can without worrying about balance or technique. Do it for 16 minutes.

BTW why do chicks love jogging so much? Does anyone know?
I run Marathons/Half Marathons so I run about 25-30 miles a week and up it at certain points of the training cycle.

I run not only for the physical fitness but for the mental fitness. The quiet time away from work and the kids does wonders for stress.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
i'd imagine epileptic trainers would spill more martini's than joggers, no?

Two words: Recumbent Bike

You can drink, do the Times crossword (except for Friday -too hard without having to think), watch TV, eat, read, nap......all the stuff a good exercise routine requires.
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
I do a lot of hiking/climbing but I just can't get into running.

WAY more interesting.

Did I say anything about being any more or less interesting?

No, not at all. That's purely MY observation. I've always found it difficult to run because I've found it boring. Cycling? Great. At least with hiking/climbing it's varied and challenging, in a different way. Just my personal take on it all.
I've cut back to +/- 20 miles per week, and given up competitive racing since my knee surgery last summer.

I'm with Rothko, the iPod really helps the miles go by.

When my motivation wanes, I consider getting a dog as a running partner. Maybe a German Shorthair, or an English Pointer, or a Weimaraner...Any recommendations?
"James F. Fixx (April 23, 1932–July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.

Fixx died at the age of 52 of a massive heart attack, after his daily run..."

Still get a kick out of that. Cool But like MJRaica, after five knee surgeries, I have turned to running off at the mouth instead. Big Grin

Moo
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:

If it's so damn fun then why do you need something to take your mind of it? Oh that's right, it's not fun, it's painful, and painfully BORING.

Jogging is occasionally fun, but usually a chore. Believe me, I'd much rather lie on the couch and eat cheetos. But, my Doc tells me jogging is better for my health.
i'd get a new doc... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:

If it's so damn fun then why do you need something to take your mind of it? Oh that's right, it's not fun, it's painful, and painfully BORING.

Jogging is occasionally fun, but usually a chore. Believe me, I'd much rather lie on the couch and eat cheetos. But, my Doc tells me jogging is better for my health.
quote:
No, not at all. That's purely MY observation. I've always found it difficult to run because I've found it boring. Cycling? Great. At least with hiking/climbing it's varied and challenging, in a different way. Just my personal take on it all.

Got ya. The little wink threw me off there.
PT,
i have a 10 yr old german short hair and i still need to use a mtn bike to exercise him.
to happily own a gsp you really need to love/be able to spend many hours a day outside running/biking. they need a lot of exercise.
but are incredible dogs.
the benefit to them is they get you out, and the more exercise you get, the more wine you can drink.
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:

Jogging is occasionally fun, but usually a chore. Believe me, I'd much rather lie on the couch and eat cheetos.

yeah, I hear you. What's worse is thinking about lying on the couch and eating cheetos while you're running. Red Face
I usually go jogging no less than 2 times a week, and as many as 4 times a week. Usually I go 1.5 miles to 3.0 miles, but I have to limit how far I jog. I have a very high metabolism, so I have to limit it to this mileage per jog. While my high metabolism kinda irritates me now, I guess I will appreciate it when I get older. I love to jog, not so much for the calories, but because I am out in nature, and it is truly a stress releiver from some of the crap a work I have to deal with. I really feel completely refreshed after a good jog.
PSF,

Your reasons are some of the same for me. I find it allows me to clear my mind, concentrate on pacing my breathing and that is a form of active meditation. Why does your metabolism play a role? By the way 2 to 3 miles per run is pretty good.
The past couple of months I've been hitting the treadmill at the gym about 4x per week, doing about 2 miles at a 5deg grade. Burns about 250 calories and works up a good sweat. I've been alternating this with cycling. While a pain in the butt sometimes, I am noticing the increased metabolism and helping keep my calories in check.

The things we've got to do to enjoy good food and wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
PSF,

Your reasons are some of the same for me. I find it allows me to clear my mind, concentrate on pacing my breathing and that is a form of active meditation. Why does your metabolism play a role? By the way 2 to 3 miles per run is pretty good.

I am real lean, I hate to brag. But I have to fight to keep my weight up. Seriously, if went 5 or miles 3 or 4 times a week(which I can), I would probably weigh in at under 150 pounds, which is not good for someone like me who is over 6' tall. When I keep my jogging to what I do, I can usually maintain my weight, or at least not lose to much.
quote:
Originally posted by PetiteSyrahFan:
quote:
PSF,

I am real lean, I hate to brag. But I have to fight to keep my weight up. Seriously, if went 5 or miles 3 or 4 times a week(which I can), I would probably weigh in at under 150 pounds, which is not good for someone like me who is over 6' tall. When I keep my jogging to what I do, I can usually maintain my weight, or at least not lose to much.

Didn't you hit puberty yet? Wink

Consider yourself very lucky. After 25, I woke up the next morning and I was fat. Period. No more eat all you want and burn it off. The skinniest I ever was was 155 pounds(6'1") when I was 28. I was running over 30km a week and biking 150km a week. Didn't look good.
quote:
Originally posted by PetiteSyrahFan:
quote:
PSF,

I feel your pain. When I was competitively running I was going 3-5 times a week for 5-10 miles per. Throw in 2 10-mile bikes rides, another day or two in the pool, plus lifting 4 times a week, and I weighed in at 152 tops, usually closer to 150. That was also while I was taking in at least 4000 calories a day. Sometimes you have to love it though. I used to joke that I could eat an entire pizza and lose two pounds!
Anyone who is bored while jogging must live in a dreary place and have an ossified mind.

Leave the iPod behind and wake up to the world of plants, animals, birds, insects, human construction, atmosphere, astronomy, and everything else going on. Someone, I forget who, said that it is impossible for an intelligent person to be bored. That person undoubtedly lived before recorded music and video.

Rain is good, wind is good, cold is good, and so is heat. Sweat and effort are good. You don't even have to think of them as a means to an end. Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Anyone who is bored while jogging must live in a dreary place and have an ossified mind.

Leave the iPod behind and wake up to the world of plants, animals, birds, insects, human construction, atmosphere, astronomy, and everything else going on. Someone, I forget who, said that it is impossible for an intelligent person to be bored. That person undoubtedly lived before recorded music and video.

Rain is good, wind is good, cold is good, and so is heat. Sweat and effort are good. You don't even have to think of them as a means to and end. Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.

Wow! I want some of what you're smoking. Wink
quote:

Rain is good, wind is good, cold is good, and so is heat. Sweat and effort are good. You don't even have to think of them as a means to and end. Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.

I love my IPOD and will be checking out the new I Touch 32 gig IPOD soon, but when I jog neither my Classic or my Nano come with me. I love seeing, hearing and experiencing nature and focusing on whatever comes to mind. I could not bring my IPOD on a jog.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.

I wish I could talk myself into believing that. I'd weigh a lot less. From the moment I walk into the gym, all I'm thinking of is leaving.

Sometimes when I'm running, especially when it's uphill and I'm totally beat, I think, "It just gets harder all the time." That's forgotten as soon as I'm done.

I'm sure I'm affected by the old Protestant "You must earn your pleasures by the sweat of your brow" ethic. I think it is based on the fact that you (I) feel better after exertion. Endorphins, "runners high"? There is physical basis. Couple that with the feeling of "virtue" from slogging through slush and coming in with snow melting off the cap. You (I mean I) then deserve the braised meat and Rhone wine.
I don't run with anything in my ears. I feel it is safer and often the beats in the music can distract my pace of running.

Running is hard but it is more of a mental challenge I believe that a physical one. That is why I love it. I trains you to be disciplined mentally.

You always feel good after a run unless you push too hard and you feel drained because your heart rate was too high.
I am a life-long fan of running/jogging. Once you get it in your blood, you have to find time for it.

I am currently staying at the MGM in Las Vegas; I just paid $25 to use the Fitness Room, but with beautiful facilities which include treadmills with televisions, it was worth it. I had a great 3.5-mile run.

I have to buy one of these machines.
Been running almost everyday for 3-4 months. Was always athletic (team sports jock stuff), but never a "runner". Nothing has gotten me in shape better than running. Been going to the gym 3-4 days a wek for a few years, basketball, tennis - nothing rips the weight off and toned me like running. Down 15 pounds and that's with 3/4 of a bottle of wine a night and not eating brussel sprouts for dinner. Smile

Took a good month to really show on me and you have to be consistant. I really try never to miss a day. Even if I don;t feel strong, I'll run less.

Did six 5K runs this summer and that hooked me too. I'm 3-5 miles a day. Nothing crazy. Body still feels good - so far. I don't want to push the distance more than that.

quote:
I run not only for the physical fitness but for the mental fitness. The quiet time away from work and the kids does wonders for stress.

So true! I've also gotten some great work ideas and proposals in my head while running. Like someone earlier said, you do your best thinking running because if you "think about" the fact that you're running - You're toast! Razz
I don't run with an iPod, I run with a stopwatch. Around here we have some great bike paths along the river so it's scenic, safe and I can use various markers to constantly measure my improvement. Now if only my left achilles felt better I could run more often. The cold weather doesn't help....
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarks21:
I know 2 men in their early 50's that died either during or right after their daily jog. This is reason enough for me not to do it. Plus, I'm really lazy and I smoke.

My guess is that they had not pre-screened themselves with their repsective doctors (i.e. cardio stress test). Once that has been verified, there should not be any risk.

There are too many overweight, out-of-shape individuals that figure they can just put on their running shoes and everything will be fine.

A representative for one of our manufacturers, several years ago, was watching the Tour de France. He was inspired by the performance of Lance Armstrong and thought he would give it a go on his bike. Now, it was July, very hot outside, and he was carrying too much extra weight. He biked for an hour or so, returned to his house, and proceeded to have a heart attack. OOPS!
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
A perfect day for a run/jog today; 55 degrees and sunny. I totaled 4.2 miles, the longest run I've legged out in quite some time. Now, where's the ibuprofen?

My wife ran 20 miles on Saturday, and still had more energy than I did Saturday night. Red Face
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
A perfect day for a run/jog today; 55 degrees and sunny. I totaled 4.2 miles, the longest run I've legged out in quite some time. Now, where's the ibuprofen?

My wife ran 20 miles on Saturday, and still had more energy than I did Saturday night. Red Face

Next time you might want to try a Red Bull and blue pill. Razz
OK, I finally broke down and bought a treadmill. I prefer to run outdoors, but with the temps, icy roads, and air quality - see inversion - I decided that indoor running would be better, for now.

I must admit that the lower impact is nice. I've run just under 8 miles in the past two days. Regardless, it is a bit more difficult to recover these days.

Damn, getting older! Mad
Interesting the number of people here whom run.

I alternate between hill sprinting (about 2k), 4 k runs and interval training (4ks) three times a week. It depends where I am in NZ or Aussie at the time, but I do these at least three times a week. I play Touch rugby most Sundays I am Auckland (which is about 2 out of every 3.). After each run I do an upper body work out as well.
I my younger days I ran a lot. Now my knees are nothing but bone on bone. I still walk a lot, but no more running!

We used to do five miles every morning in my old Ranger unit. Five miles in thirty five minutes in combat boots, the old Ranger Run much faster than double time. Personal best was the 2 mile in !0:58 in combat boots. I think they let most all of the run in sneakers now. Hard on the feet and knees. Imagine that! Confused
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
I my younger days I ran a lot. Now my knees are nothing but bone on bone. I still walk a lot, but no more running!

We used to do five miles every morning in my old Ranger unit. Five miles in thirty five minutes in combat boots, the old Ranger Run much faster than double time. Personal best was the 2 mile in !0:58 in combat boots. I think they let most all of the run in sneakers now. Hard on the feet and knees. Imagine that! Confused

Seven-minute miles in combat boots?! My lungs hurt just reading that!
quote:

Not to take anything away from your accomplishment, Sandy (because it's damn impressive!), but I was at Ironman Kona this year and a Marine did the entire 112-mile bike portion and the 26.2-mile run portion in camouflage pants and boots. I only saw him during the first part of the marathon but he looked amazingly strong, especially after riding 112 miles wearing what is definitely not triathlon-specific clothing.

Found an article here...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/health/fitness/20081...9999-1s17conner.html

... that you might be interested in seeing.
Up until about 3 years ago, I was a regular runner. I've run one marathon and 2 halves plus a bunch of 5 and 10k's. Marathon time was 4:25:00 and I had set a goal to break 4 hours on my next one.

Then I found out I had heart issues (nothing to do with running) which caused my doctor to order me to run no more marathons. I stopped running for 3 years because I was afraid.

But running has always made me feel wonderful - at least after I get to a level of fitness that gives me the endurance, fitness and core strength to actually enjoy it.

So I have begun again. Started in early January and had some pretty rough runs. Couldn't do 2k without walking. But I'm up to about 6k continuous distance now. It still feels rough, but getting there. I hope to get fit enough to run 10 miles (16k) a day 3X / week and 5 miles 3X / week and I'll probably hold there.

About the IPod: I almost never, ever used one during my 60 miles a week marathon training. But my wife, who has continued to run and had run every race with me, convinced me to try. Like someone else said, music always threw me off. The beat was always different from the step, the breathing, everything. But I figured it out and now I really like it.
Star/et.al. - The military actually banned walkman type instruments while running on posts back in the 80s. Seems people were getting so engrossed in the music, along with not being able to hear outside noise, they were getting hit by cars/trucks, unnecessarily stepping in ruts, etc. and getting hurt. The military is big on corporate punishiment, but as a warning be careful.

Kind of like all the people on cellphones while driving, or the cyclist the other day that swerved to miss a pot hole in the bike lane and came out and almost hit me. He was listening to his walkman, and couldn't even hear me along side of him. Safety first! Wink
i learned my lesson while hiking/running down the side of a santa monica "mountain" while blasting slayer. i still have the scars.

i would not run/bike/hike in the woods/on the street/in a park with anything blocking my awareness of my surroundings.

stumbling home hammered, now that's a different story. Razz
quote:
i would not run/bike/hike in the woods/on the street/in a park with anything blocking my awareness of my surroundings.

stumbling home hammered, now that's a different story.

In New York that is most certainly true. Stranger people jogging in central park in the afternoon than stumbling on curbs drunk at 2:am. Smile

Pure gym track runner since November. I can't run in the cold. Tough to zone out. All I can think of is "#uck! - it's cold and I'm running, when I'd rather be ________ (fill in blank of choice)

Rather sweat and look at gym hotties over the winter.

Down 20 pounds since last winter and with my appetite that means I'm running a lot! Smile
quote:
OK, a bit off topic here, but I played tennis for nearly two hours yesterday. The difference in quick vertical and lateral stop/start running vs. constant motion is glaring. Let's just say that my feet, knees, and joints are feeling it today.

Well the "2 hours" part had something to do it. Run for 2 hours and see how you feel. Tennis for 30 minutes is a joke. Running for 30 minutes is NO joke.

Teasing, but I played basketball all my life and yes the stopping, side movements effect you, but you do get your breaks. All I can say is running for 45 minutes or an hour straight is harder for me than even 2 hours of stop and go basketball. Everyone's different.
Ah Hunter, you must still be young. I think my basketball and tennis playing was much harder on my knees than my running.

When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up. I believe my heartbeat underwent a lot more push during the constant sprints, jumping, stretching, and motions of bball and tennis than plain running. But perhaps that's because I was in good shape!
Sitting here watching my wife stretch after her quick little 13 mile run is making me sore. Wink

Speaking of basketball. I played in the City "A" league until I was 31. I landed on a players foot after the last dunk of my career ( Smile) and broke my right foot in over a dozen places. Never played in a competitive league again.

I later broke the same foot in the simi-finals of our state racquetball tournament. Mad

I have found wine drinking much safer.
quote:
When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up.

6 minute mile? That is a sprint! At least in my world.

re: tennis. The quality of the workout is usually a function of the quality of the opponent. When playing with a lesser player, the only way to get a workout is to play with one can of balls and run after the strays.....

PH
I run about 20/25 miles a week. I have run a marathon and a dozen half marathons. I run at a sub 8 minute pace. Always have. This year a bunch of us are running the Ragnar Relay - a 12 person 200 mile race in the Wassatch mountains.

Truth is I hate running. But I love finishing!
I try to do some trail running, primarily in the fall for the purpose of getting into shape for cross country skiing. I've only done one running competition in my life - a half marathon that I did many years ago (before I knew better Wink ). After that experience I realized that racing bicycles was a lot more "body friendly" exercise for me.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up.

6 minute mile? That is a sprint! At least in my world.

re: tennis. The quality of the workout is usually a function of the quality of the opponent. When playing with a lesser player, the only way to get a workout is to play with one can of balls and run after the strays.....

PH

A 6 minute mile takes some time and dedication to get to, but it can be done. I have done a mile in under 5 minutes and 30 seconds. While that might seem fast, my friend in the USMC can run a 3 mile in a little over 15 minutes and he is not even the fastest one.
quote:
Ah Hunter, you must still be young. I think my basketball and tennis playing was much harder on my knees than my running.

When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up. I believe my heartbeat underwent a lot more push during the constant sprints, jumping, stretching, and motions of bball and tennis than plain running. But perhaps that's because I was in good shape!

Yeah. It's hard for me to say actually as I only took up real running the last year or so and stopped playing serious hoops years ago. I never did both at the same time - I don't think I could have! I played basketball my whole life and was able to handle it fine. My only regret is not being in the shape I'm in now back when I played recreational orgranized basketball.

I'm a lonely running stud now! Smile Doing it just for moi.
I thought running vs badmington/squash/tennis and so is because they actually use completely differing muscle groups or same muscles but in different ways. You don't get the breathlessness playing tennis that you do running, but you don't get the stretching and use of muscles from running that you do from racket sports. Heck I can run 5 k's and feel fresh, but if I play squash for an hour I am shattered.
Wisad;

I obviously agree with your point about racketball. But it's not apples to apples. Even into my forites I wwas doing 7 min miles, before my knes went. To run a hour would be about 7.5 miles. So to compare an hour of running to an hour of tennis (for me) that would have to be the comparison.

Playing tennis for an hour would wear me down, but I would enjoy it. Running for an hour would normally bore me to death.
quote:
Originally posted by WISAD:
I thought running vs badmington/squash/tennis and so is because they actually use completely differing muscle groups or same muscles but in different ways. You don't get the breathlessness playing tennis that you do running, but you don't get the stretching and use of muscles from running that you do from racket sports. Heck I can run 5 k's and feel fresh, but if I play squash for an hour I am shattered.

WISAD-

I agree with your comments here.

I have been an avid runner/jogger and played tennis for over 20 years - although last week was the first time I picked up a tennis racquet in a long time. Both types of activities provide workouts for different sets of muscles.

I can run 4-5 miles and feel great the next day. However, if I play tennis for 1-2 hours my knees and joints ache for a couple of days. And, I can certainly feel out of breath on a tennis court, especailly after a long baseline rally.

Of course, the recovery time with both activities has increased as I have advanced in years. Frown
Wow, some serious atheletes here for a bunch of vino heads!

As I rapidly approached the back side of middle age, I decided to get off the couch about 2 to 3 years ago.

Nothing to serious, but I run 3 or 4 times a week now, 3 to 4 miles each. Slow pace, barely under 10 minutes/mile but better than nothing.

I also hit the gym three times per week for weights. Again, nothing too serious, but moving some body parts around anyway.

Feel alot better for it and look forward to the workouts. Helps negate the wine calories also, a big plus.
Started running outdoors again. Really stopped running late last year. I've noticed that my heart rate is great when it is cold outside-ie remains in the 150s range and creeps up into the 160s range at the end of my run. I remember that even in when I was in better shape, if you increase the outside temp, my HR jumps into the 160s range as an average HR for the duration of the run. Ran about 5-6 miles Friday and will try again today.
quote:
Started running outdoors again. Really stopped running late last year. I've noticed that my heart rate is great when it is cold outside-ie remains in the 150s range and creeps up into the 160s range at the end of my run. I remember that even in when I was in better shape, if you increase the outside temp, my HR jumps into the 160s range as an average HR for the duration of the run. Ran about 5-6 miles Friday and will try again today.

Interesting. I am 40 years old and a life-long runner. However, after a considerable hiatus, I started running again, consistently (3-4 X week), a little over two months ago. My heart-rate jumps into the 170-180 range towards the end of my runs, which is higher than recommended, but I feel great. I am going to invest in a monitor to more accurately check my rate during my runs.

I look forward to warmer weather so I can run outdoors more often.
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Running in the Crazy Legs Classic up in Madison next weekend. 5 miles and about 11,000 people. I've been able to run on the trails around here since the snow melted in mid-February so I'm hoping for a good time. My goal is 37 minutes.

Anything under 40 minutes would be very good; 37 minutes would be fantastic. Good luck!
quote:
quote:

Interesting. I am 40 years old and a life-long runner. However, after a considerable hiatus, I started running again, consistently (3-4 X week), a little over two months ago. My heart-rate jumps into the 170-180 range towards the end of my runs, which is higher than recommended, but I feel great. I am going to invest in a monitor to more accurately check my rate during my runs.

I look forward to warmer weather so I can run outdoors more often.

Interesting. I'm in my late 30s and I find that if I push my heart rate up too high, ie 170-174 for a prolonged period of time, I actually feel worse and very tired and drained at the end of the run. The contrary is true at a lower heart rate. Maybe you are just fine at a higher heart rate-check it out with your doctor.
quote:
Interesting. I'm in my late 30s and I find that if I push my heart rate up too high, ie 170-174 for a prolonged period of time, I actually feel worse and very tired and drained at the end of the run. The contrary is true at a lower heart rate. Maybe you are just fine at a higher heart rate-check it out with your doctor.

I don't maintain the higher rate for a long period of time; maybe 5-7 minutes.

However, I do have a scheduled check-up with my PCP in a couple of weeks. It's time to check my cholesterol, BP, etc. I will be sure to add this inquiry to my list.
My wife participated in yesterday's Baltimore Marathon, which drew over 20,000 contestants.
She and 3 other women split the course and did a "relay".
Her first time.
Without stating her precise age, when my wife was born, Truman was roughly half-way through his term as President.
I am very proud of her.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
My wife participated in yesterday's Baltimore Marathon, which drew over 20,000 contestants.
She and 3 other women split the course and did a "relay".
Her first time.
Without stating her precise age, when my wife was born, Truman was roughly half-way through his term as President.
I am very proud of her.

Great stuff, irwin. Congrats to your wife; that is very impressive. Smile
Anybody training for any races this summer/fall?

I received good news that I will be accepted to start in the 2nd seeded race heat of the Chicago half marathon in early September. This is my first attempt at this distance, and a real challenge considering that I ran at times the 100 meter dash in high school. I'm up to 8 mile runs currently and my goal is to run the race in 7:30 minute miles, or less. We shall see.
quote:
Anybody training for any races this summer/fall?

I received good news that I will be accepted to start in the 2nd seeded race heat of the Chicago half marathon in early September. This is my first attempt at this distance, and a real challenge considering that I ran at times the 100 meter dash in high school. I'm up to 8 mile runs currently and my goal is to run the race in 7:30 minute miles, or less. We shall see.

Nice pace for a half, good luck! Let us know how it goes.
quote:
Good question khmark, and good luck next year.

My wife and daughter are running in the San Antonio marathon next weekend, so I'm thinking about planning an off-line here in Dallas. Cool

I wish them and anyone willing to push themselves to the limit for 2+ hours the best of luck.
quote:

My wife and daughter are running in the San Antonio marathon next weekend, so I'm thinking about planning an off-line here in Dallas. Cool

Good luck. I don't even like driving 26 miles.
quote:
quote:

I wish them and anyone willing to push themselves to the limit for 2+ hours the best of luck.

Two hours? Red Face Running a 9 minute mile will take 4 hours. Wink
quote:
Anyone here on the boards run the NY Marathon today? I was watching on TV....and I'm hoping to run maybe two marathons next year.

When this thread started I would clearly have been in the "never ina million years would I run" camp. Now, here I am eating my words... Training for the Disney half marathon in January and the Key West half marathon two weeks later... next year I plan on doing the NY marathon.
Have done it all doing intervals, and is working out qnicely for me so far, but I have no delusions of an 8 minute mile...
I've given up on running, and now I do the elliptical machine instead. My knees were starting to bother me.

It is not the same. I really enjoyed running along the shore of Lake Worth. Using an elliptical indoors isn't quite the same, although ogling Robin Meade on HLN makes up for it somewhat.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I've given up on running, and now I do the elliptical machine instead. My knees were starting to bother me.

It is not the same. I really enjoyed running along the shore of Lake Worth. Using an elliptical indoors isn't quite the same, although ogling Robin Meade on HLN makes up for it somewhat.

Rothko-

I have been a runner for most of my life and have been very fortunate (knock on wood) to avoid knee problems.

I often use the elliptical for cross-training purposes, and although I didn't care for it at first, I rather enjoy it now.
quote:

I did too. Knees started hurting so I started doing elliptical. Did that until I discovered Spin. If you want a serious workout that puts elliptical and running to shame with zero impact and lots of pretty girls to stare out while you're sucking wind give Spin a try.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Knock yourself out. I'd rather get a better workout with plenty of eye candy to boot.

Conversation with my coworkers yesterday about spin class, where they reminded me that it's not some aerobic/pilates junk but stationary bicycle riding. For some reason I was thinking "spin" was something else. Doh!
After 35 years, I got back running this October several times a week [most ]I can realistically fit in] and ran 3 5k charity races...
For Fights vs Breast Cancer,Arthritis, and Blindness.

My times of 24:40 to 25:00 were better than I hoped, but the sheer enjoyment of running in all age packs in fun events [Jingle Bells 5k]and are far more relevant and motivating now; further the runner's high and warmth have hardly faded, perhaps even stronger now...

I now compare myself to age matched runners as at my current age and shape hopes of achieving anything remotely close to high school times are all long gone. But while my competitiveness is still there, the enjoyment of the event and the crowd itself is now paramount in why I'm back on the road. So a treadmill just won't do for me.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
After 35 years, I got back running this October several times a week [most ]I can realistically fit in] and ran 3 5k charity races...
For Fights vs Breast Cancer,Arthritis, and Blindness.

My times of 24:40 to 25:00 were better than I hoped, but the sheer enjoyment of running in all age packs in fun events [Jingle Bells 5k]and are far more relevant and motivating now; further the runner's high and warmth have hardly faded, perhaps even stronger now...

I now compare myself to age matched runners as at my current age and shape hopes of achieving anything remotely close to high school times are all long gone. But while my competitiveness is still there, the enjoyment of the event and the crowd itself is now paramount in why I'm back on the road. So a treadmill just won't do for me.

Outstanding! Keep it up! Smile
quote:
I tried running on a treadmill this weekend.

What's the consensus on whether treadmills are less likely to cause knee problems?

any modern-era treadmill is easier on the knees than running on asphalt, however, if you have chronic knee issues the treadmill won't make them disappear. i ran high school, college, and pro, and it ended after my 2nd knee surgery. now the only thing i can do consistently other than ride bike is use the elliptical. a couple of weeks on the treadmill are fine, but after too long the swelling returns and i need to lay off.
thanks, Doc. i ran 800m / 1500m (1:51 / 3:53) and some cross-country until my second year in college but i lack the attention span to "race" 8K or 10K. i only ran pro because i wasn't happy with my college coaches and "pro" equated to free shoes and clothes (nike has a farm / satellite system to help identify talented runners that aren't moving through the normal channels).

what's impressive are the guys whose bodies can take the beating and actually make careers out of pro running. some of the greatest runners in the world never get anywhere because of chronic injuries and flat out bad luck. i trained a few months in 2006 with the world's number 1 ranked olympic distance triathlete. a few weeks after we parted ways he began having shoulder pain and needed minimally invasive arthroscopic shoulder surgery. just like that, his olympic bid was done.

it's a heartbreaking endeavor.
Those are awesome times!

I ran only one year, as a senior in HS
CC-16:49
800- 2:03
1600- 4:33

and in retrospect wished I had run all 4 years.
Like you, beyond 5k takes a more patient mindset I don't have.

The good news now is the older I get the better my times versus my > 50 peers
The fun days of running in high school! Ironically for me i ran sprints in high school(and hurdles), and then would turn around and run Cross Country. When the coach at Wisconsin gave me the opportunity to try out for the team I turned it down....cause I was stupid. Now, 20 years later I am still able to run pretty well, and with only a minimal amount of leg pains. My goal this year is to run a marathon and maybe qualify for the Boston marathon. I would also like to really do well in a few 5 mile races. Right now I have the time, so this is my opportunity.

Anybody running the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago, in early April?
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Tannin:
First run in 2 months. Ouch!
Too much work and bought a new house on the oceanfront that I'm renovating. No time. But by
April I hope to be back better than last year

The first run after an extended break can be quite challenging; however, I always find myself smiling at the end. Smile

Good luck with your renovation project.
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Keys Girl:
quote:
ran the miami beach 13.1 this weekend in 1:44:00

I am trying really hard not to hate you... Red Face I will be back at it post knee surgery, but am thinking that I will never see a sub-11 minute mile in a long race!

Frown what was the diagnoses?
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Keys Girl:
quote:
ran the miami beach 13.1 this weekend in 1:44:00

I am trying really hard not to hate you... Red Face I will be back at it post knee surgery, but am thinking that I will never see a sub-11 minute mile in a long race!

Frown what was the diagnoses?

torn meniscus... then I will need to have the left one looked at as well!
ugh... that's an obnoxious procedure. do you have a date set? are they going to clean (scrape) it? or repair it?

the repairs have a lower success rate, but you save your meniscus. if you can find a doc who's confident in their "repair" abilities, it's worth it. also, i can't say it enough, rehab is the key to knee surgery. you need to find the best place, and pay whatever it costs to make sure you do everything the doctor wants. i've had 2 major knee procedures on the same knee, and the difference was the rehab. the first time was a waste.
April 21. (was supposed to be next week... that is a whole different story)

clean... no repairing going on here... I am sadly familiar with knee surgery (ACL in 97 and meniscus in 2007 all on the same knee). Whatever therapy is prescribed, I will be doing. Just need a good PT in Broward.
With the summer nearing an end the racing circuit here is starting up again. Anyone running a fall half or full marathon?

I'm about 85% healthy after a foot injury kept me from running most of July, but I'm set to run a half marathon this weekend and the Chicago Marathon in October. Back in June I set my PR for a half at 1:37, so I'm excited to see how I do in my next few races.
Knocked out 9 miles in an hour flat on the treadmill... Would love to do a marathon, but have already had a surgically repaired acl, mcl and meniscus, in addition to 4 torn tendons in my left foot that were stitched back up and a surgically repaired ankle... All except for the foot were from playing basketball in college.

Not too long ago I did 12 miles on the streets, and I couldn't walk for a couple days, so I stick to the treadmill and surfing.

I definitely feel like the lazy one in the family... My sister is a die-hard marathoner, and my brother is world ranked in double ultra triathlons (the kid is a machine- he puts me to shame).
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Knocked out 9 miles in an hour flat on the treadmill... Would love to do a marathon, but have already had a surgically repaired acl, mcl and meniscus, in addition to 4 torn tendons in my left foot that were stitched back up and a surgically repaired ankle... All except for the foot were from playing basketball in college.

Not too long ago I did 12 miles on the streets, and I couldn't walk for a couple days, so I stick to the treadmill and surfing.

I definitely feel like the lazy one in the family... My sister is a die-hard marathoner, and my brother is world ranked in double ultra triathlons (the kid is a machine- he puts me to shame).

wow, how old is he? does he have a job?? competing at those distances boggles my mind. i can't see how anyone can do something like that while maintaining a career or family.
Things have gotten a little slower for me in the past 2 years. In my peak, ie 10 years ago, I used to run 10K in 48 min.

I now run rather slow on the treadmill, 5miles per hour for 1 hour at 120-130 heart rate. I find I lose much more weight this way than if I ran a little quicker with a higher heart rate. I do at least 4 hours of running a week, 1.5 hour of weight training(toning) and 5 hours of badminton on the weekend. I don't think I've been this active in my life but when you hit 40, the calories don't come off like they used to.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:

wow, how old is he? does he have a job?? competing at those distances boggles my mind. i can't see how anyone can do something like that while maintaining a career or family.

He is 29 and was special forces in the military... he started getting into hard-core training about 8 years ago, and he has been like the energizer bunny ever since. Now he is stationed down in SD for 3 years, so he has really devoted himself to it. I am pretty proud of him.
quote:
when you hit 40, the calories don't come off like they used to.

That's how I felt when I hit 30... My metabolism used to be faster than a jackrabbit on a date... I could burn 4000 calories flipping channels on the couch... Not so much anymore.
Rough fall for running, but only because of injuries. Hurt my foot in July, then my IT Band in Sept. I started the Chicago Marathon and ran a decent 13 miles, but my leg was killing me and I dropped out halfway. Crazy atmosphere downtown, very fun, and I'm looking forward to running another marathon either in the spring or next fall without a visit to the medical tent this time.
quote:
I know some people who are running in Vegas, but I don't expect to be there. If I am there it will be last minute and probably for the half-marathon. Should be fun.

Good Luck.

Thanks! It should be a blast running the strip at night. I hope I'm in good shape to run on a Sunday night after a friday and sat in Vegas.

Wish this run was on a sat night instead of Sunday.
quote:
I had to share this. I'll feel young again as I'm jogging tonight.

The century mark

Thanks for sharing. In Toronto just a few weeks ago there was also an 80+ yr man who broke a record running the marathon in something like 3:15 mins....which is amazing considering that is the time needed to qualify for Boston if you are 40+ yrs.
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
Despite some knee/IT band problems and having had too much wine and food at Lotus of Siam friday night I was able to power thru my first 1/2 marathon.

What a rush it was to see all that hard work pay off.

Up Next the full!

Congratulations, T Dub!
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
Despite some knee/IT band problems and having had too much wine and food at Lotus of Siam friday night I was able to power thru my first 1/2 marathon.

What a rush it was to see all that hard work pay off.

Up Next the full!

Several people from my running club ran the same Vegas half-marathon. I haven't had time to ask them how it went. How was it running down the Strip?? My IT band issues are only now resolving after 2-3 months. Looking forward to being healthy!!
quote:
I've been working on my 4-mile time - trying to get it back to a respectable level.

I've been doing some 5-mile runs as well.

This was much, much easier when I was younger...and lighter.

I haven't run since vegas. I have found out that i actually ran a half marathon on a broken leg! HA!

Looking forward to getting back out there though as I can feel the body slipping.
Very casual runner but in the last two weeks have upped the ante to running 3 miles 6 times per week (which is a lot for me). I've really enjoyed it and now I'm thinking about buying some trail running shoes for a trip coming up (and for occasional use at home).
quote:
Half Moon Bay Half-Marathon official time 1:35:08
A beautiful course along the ocean, but very hilly and potholed... My goal of a sub-90 half marathon was thwarted. Finished 3rd in my age group.

Great job TPE! 1:35 is still a great time!
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:
quote:
A beautiful course along the ocean, but very hilly and potholed... My goal of a sub-90 half marathon was thwarted. Finished 3rd in my age group.

Great job TPE! 1:35 is still a great time!

Thanks buddy... Much appreciated... I am HURTIN right now...I've got kankles.

Aisha broke off a 1:47:13 and was the 17th place female... Very proud of her.
quote:

Well done. My knees hurt just reading your post.
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:
So who's cooking dinner tonight... I'm sure you are both laid on the couch Smile

Great job to the both you!

No cooking! I am rehabbing on the couch with a prescription of football and takeout burritos! And a well-deserved margarita... Aisha had eschewed all alcohol for the past month (I am not that disciplined), so we will enjoy a celebratory drink tonight together.
quote:

Well done!

D has been running a lot here in Santa Fe,( 40-50 per week) and commenting on both the elevation she has been running at ( 7500-10,000 ft) and the steep hills.

She is thinking how easy ( and flat) it will be when she gets back to Dallas.
quote:

Nice job. That would be a fun one to do.
quote:
quote:

Well done!

D has been running a lot here in Santa Fe,( 40-50 per week) and commenting on both the elevation she has been running at ( 7500-10,000 ft) and the steep hills.

Wow, you have to have some serious lungs to be running that much at such a high altitude... VERY IMPRESSIVE!
High altitudes kicked my butt this summer. I climbed a mountain of volcanic gravel starting at 8000 or 9000 feet and 95 degrees and had to stop to catch my breath several times. I climbed a large sand dune 3/4 of a mile in 106 degree heat at 5000+ altitude for a great view and quickly became sorry I attempted it, but too embarassed to quit and turn back. We both walked up to Zabriskie Point in Death Valley in 123 degree heat, but at least it was at low altitude.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
High altitudes kicked my butt this summer. I climbed a mountain of volcanic gravel starting at 8000 or 9000 feet and 95 degrees and had to stop to catch my breath several times. I climbed a large sand dune 3/4 of a mile in 106 degree heat at 5000+ altitude for a great view and quickly became sorry I attempted it, but too embarassed to quit and turn back. We both walked up to Zabriskie Point in Death Valley in 123 degree heat, but at least it was at low altitude.

That is crazy! I would probably pass out and wake up to the vultures circling my body!
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Great job TPE. Although just short of your goal, that is a pretty amazing time

many thanks Jcocktosten. Smile Jorge invited me out to do the Miami Marathon, so hopefully I will find myself out in south FL in the not-too-distant future. 13 miles was tough... 26 is really going to require some serious mental strength... I would really love to qualify for the Boston Marathon, so I need to post a 3:05 or under.
quote:

Well done!

Awesome. She's gonna have a blast when she gets back to Dallas. I spent a couple of summers training in Colorado before heading back to sea level in time for the XC season. When I'd return to Miami, I'd spend 24 - 48 hours adjusting to humidity, and then I couldn't tire myself out for about 10 days. It was an incredible feeling. I'd go on hard 15 - 18 mile runs, stop, and just stand around thinking "hm. that was easy" while thinking of how unsatisfying my run felt.

TPE, the ING Miami course is flat, and plenty of people PR on it. If it rains, it isn't a particularly big deal because it's January and the humidity isn't the typical summer humidity. And in fairness to the event, it's rained a noticeable amount 4 out of 10 times, and the temperature at start time is typically lower than the start temperature at Boston (it's in the mid - low 60's, Boston is typically in the high 70's).

To JC's point, winning times are not impressive because the prize purse is practically non-existent, and the timing is not well-aligned with seasonal peaks for elites (too late for NYC, way too early for Boston or US Championships).

There's also a Half-Marathon in the same event (it's a split race) in case you aren't ready for 26.2 by January, or decide you wanna have a little more fun while you're in town!

If you decide to make a long trip out of it, I usually have a pig roast the week after the marathon, just sayin'...
FKG- best advice I can give is just to get out there and do it! Anything that can give your heart a workout is good... And within three weeks of running, you will be amazed at how even with the distances getting longer, the less tired you feel. I have never really enjoyed hitting the gym (unless it is a basketball gym), but running along the beaches of the Keys has to be as beautiful as running along the waterfront in SF is.
Anything sub 2 hrs for a half marathon is moving right along in my opinion. I think you are all a little nuts however....I ran enough in the 4 years of college when I played tennis for 2 life times...im done running, have zero desire, unless im getting chased I guess.

In school we would have 3 hr practices and then have to run 2 miles in under 12 minutes, if we didnt, we would have to do 100 stadiums. Thank god I was able to do it, I was in the best shape of my life.

Im pretty much a slug now Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Anything sub 2 hrs for a half marathon is moving right along in my opinion. I think you are all a little nuts however....I ran enough in the 4 years of college when I played tennis for 2 life times...im done running, have zero desire, unless im getting chased I guess.

In school we would have 3 hr practices and then have to run 2 miles in under 12 minutes, if we didnt, we would have to do 100 stadiums. Thank god I was able to do it, I was in the best shape of my life.

Im pretty much a slug now Big Grin
I’m with you Marc. I have bad knees so running is pretty much over for me now, but even if it wasn’t I would have a hard time running for hours as I just don’t have the desire anymore. Funny, we had a similar test when I played baseball in college. We had double days before spring ball and we had to run a 6 min mile every day before practice. Those that couldn’t do it had to run 5 more miles. I made it in 6 mins every time for 4 years. Now I probably couldn’t make it in 12.
I am with both of you guys... I had sworn off city running... Major surgery on my left knee has left me with hardly any cartilage, as well as operations on my right ankle and left foot had relegated me to a treadmill. But seeing my brother compete and become world ranked in double ultra triathlons and watching my gf train and hitting the pavement with her to keep her motivated, ended up motivating me... I am really glad I did it. The pain was worth it. I believe I once read: "pain is temporary, finishing is forever." I am looking forward to checking off a full marathon.
I have done six full marathons and numerous half marathons in California when I was much younger. Hurts my body too much. These days I am mostly at the gym or mountain biking.
Have you run the SF Marathon? It is a very nice view running across the Golden Gate bridge. Keep up the good work, TPE.
quote:
Originally posted by rho:
I have done six full marathons and numerous half marathons in California when I was much younger. Hurts my body too much. These days I am mostly at the gym or mountain biking.
Have you run the SF Marathon? It is a very nice view running across the Golden Gate bridge. Keep up the good work, TPE.

Hi rho: thanks for the encouraging words. Have not done a full marathon yet. Only ran my first half marathon in sept (half moon bay), and this will be my second. Will run my first full marathon in a couple months. Training hard for a sub 3. I turn 35 this year and have set two goals for myself- run a marathon in under 3 hours and I haven't been able to dunk since college, so after I do the marathon I will start training to be able to dunk just one more time. Father Time is undefeated- I plan on handing him his first loss. Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)