quote:
Originally posted by mjraica:
DON'T DO IT! I was a runner, got into the competitive side; now after an 8 yr career in it I have had 5 knee surgeries and am hoping to be able to walk without pain soon(.....) There are so many other, better, ways to burn them extra calories!


I hear you. I run about 25-30k per week, which is not that much. I run outside mostly up a mountain and on pebbles/soil path-no concrete. During the winter, I hit the gym for the treadmill. I think I'll be ok. Nothing competitive, though.
Try interval training on one of those bikes that has a fixed back. That way you can put all your effort into working out as hard as you can without worrying about balance or technique. Do it for 16 minutes.

BTW why do chicks love jogging so much? Does anyone know?
I run Marathons/Half Marathons so I run about 25-30 miles a week and up it at certain points of the training cycle.

I run not only for the physical fitness but for the mental fitness. The quiet time away from work and the kids does wonders for stress.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
i'd imagine epileptic trainers would spill more martini's than joggers, no?


Two words: Recumbent Bike

You can drink, do the Times crossword (except for Friday -too hard without having to think), watch TV, eat, read, nap......all the stuff a good exercise routine requires.
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
I do a lot of hiking/climbing but I just can't get into running.

WAY more interesting.

Did I say anything about being any more or less interesting?

No, not at all. That's purely MY observation. I've always found it difficult to run because I've found it boring. Cycling? Great. At least with hiking/climbing it's varied and challenging, in a different way. Just my personal take on it all.
I've cut back to +/- 20 miles per week, and given up competitive racing since my knee surgery last summer.

I'm with Rothko, the iPod really helps the miles go by.

When my motivation wanes, I consider getting a dog as a running partner. Maybe a German Shorthair, or an English Pointer, or a Weimaraner...Any recommendations?
"James F. Fixx (April 23, 1932–July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.

Fixx died at the age of 52 of a massive heart attack, after his daily run..."

Still get a kick out of that. Cool But like MJRaica, after five knee surgeries, I have turned to running off at the mouth instead. Big Grin

Moo
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:

If it's so damn fun then why do you need something to take your mind of it? Oh that's right, it's not fun, it's painful, and painfully BORING.


Jogging is occasionally fun, but usually a chore. Believe me, I'd much rather lie on the couch and eat cheetos. But, my Doc tells me jogging is better for my health.
i'd get a new doc... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:

If it's so damn fun then why do you need something to take your mind of it? Oh that's right, it's not fun, it's painful, and painfully BORING.


Jogging is occasionally fun, but usually a chore. Believe me, I'd much rather lie on the couch and eat cheetos. But, my Doc tells me jogging is better for my health.
quote:
No, not at all. That's purely MY observation. I've always found it difficult to run because I've found it boring. Cycling? Great. At least with hiking/climbing it's varied and challenging, in a different way. Just my personal take on it all.

Got ya. The little wink threw me off there.
PT,
i have a 10 yr old german short hair and i still need to use a mtn bike to exercise him.
to happily own a gsp you really need to love/be able to spend many hours a day outside running/biking. they need a lot of exercise.
but are incredible dogs.
the benefit to them is they get you out, and the more exercise you get, the more wine you can drink.
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:

Jogging is occasionally fun, but usually a chore. Believe me, I'd much rather lie on the couch and eat cheetos.


yeah, I hear you. What's worse is thinking about lying on the couch and eating cheetos while you're running. Red Face
I usually go jogging no less than 2 times a week, and as many as 4 times a week. Usually I go 1.5 miles to 3.0 miles, but I have to limit how far I jog. I have a very high metabolism, so I have to limit it to this mileage per jog. While my high metabolism kinda irritates me now, I guess I will appreciate it when I get older. I love to jog, not so much for the calories, but because I am out in nature, and it is truly a stress releiver from some of the crap a work I have to deal with. I really feel completely refreshed after a good jog.
PSF,

Your reasons are some of the same for me. I find it allows me to clear my mind, concentrate on pacing my breathing and that is a form of active meditation. Why does your metabolism play a role? By the way 2 to 3 miles per run is pretty good.
The past couple of months I've been hitting the treadmill at the gym about 4x per week, doing about 2 miles at a 5deg grade. Burns about 250 calories and works up a good sweat. I've been alternating this with cycling. While a pain in the butt sometimes, I am noticing the increased metabolism and helping keep my calories in check.

The things we've got to do to enjoy good food and wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
PSF,

Your reasons are some of the same for me. I find it allows me to clear my mind, concentrate on pacing my breathing and that is a form of active meditation. Why does your metabolism play a role? By the way 2 to 3 miles per run is pretty good.


I am real lean, I hate to brag. But I have to fight to keep my weight up. Seriously, if went 5 or miles 3 or 4 times a week(which I can), I would probably weigh in at under 150 pounds, which is not good for someone like me who is over 6' tall. When I keep my jogging to what I do, I can usually maintain my weight, or at least not lose to much.
quote:
Originally posted by PetiteSyrahFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
PSF,

Your reasons are some of the same for me. I find it allows me to clear my mind, concentrate on pacing my breathing and that is a form of active meditation. Why does your metabolism play a role? By the way 2 to 3 miles per run is pretty good.


I am real lean, I hate to brag. But I have to fight to keep my weight up. Seriously, if went 5 or miles 3 or 4 times a week(which I can), I would probably weigh in at under 150 pounds, which is not good for someone like me who is over 6' tall. When I keep my jogging to what I do, I can usually maintain my weight, or at least not lose to much.


Didn't you hit puberty yet? Wink

Consider yourself very lucky. After 25, I woke up the next morning and I was fat. Period. No more eat all you want and burn it off. The skinniest I ever was was 155 pounds(6'1") when I was 28. I was running over 30km a week and biking 150km a week. Didn't look good.
quote:
Originally posted by PetiteSyrahFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
PSF,

Your reasons are some of the same for me. I find it allows me to clear my mind, concentrate on pacing my breathing and that is a form of active meditation. Why does your metabolism play a role? By the way 2 to 3 miles per run is pretty good.


I am real lean, I hate to brag. But I have to fight to keep my weight up. Seriously, if went 5 or miles 3 or 4 times a week(which I can), I would probably weigh in at under 150 pounds, which is not good for someone like me who is over 6' tall. When I keep my jogging to what I do, I can usually maintain my weight, or at least not lose to much.


I feel your pain. When I was competitively running I was going 3-5 times a week for 5-10 miles per. Throw in 2 10-mile bikes rides, another day or two in the pool, plus lifting 4 times a week, and I weighed in at 152 tops, usually closer to 150. That was also while I was taking in at least 4000 calories a day. Sometimes you have to love it though. I used to joke that I could eat an entire pizza and lose two pounds!
Anyone who is bored while jogging must live in a dreary place and have an ossified mind.

Leave the iPod behind and wake up to the world of plants, animals, birds, insects, human construction, atmosphere, astronomy, and everything else going on. Someone, I forget who, said that it is impossible for an intelligent person to be bored. That person undoubtedly lived before recorded music and video.

Rain is good, wind is good, cold is good, and so is heat. Sweat and effort are good. You don't even have to think of them as a means to an end. Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Anyone who is bored while jogging must live in a dreary place and have an ossified mind.

Leave the iPod behind and wake up to the world of plants, animals, birds, insects, human construction, atmosphere, astronomy, and everything else going on. Someone, I forget who, said that it is impossible for an intelligent person to be bored. That person undoubtedly lived before recorded music and video.

Rain is good, wind is good, cold is good, and so is heat. Sweat and effort are good. You don't even have to think of them as a means to and end. Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.


Wow! I want some of what you're smoking. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Anyone who is bored while jogging must live in a dreary place and have an ossified mind.

Leave the iPod behind and wake up to the world of plants, animals, birds, insects, human construction, atmosphere, astronomy, and everything else going on. Someone, I forget who, said that it is impossible for an intelligent person to be bored. That person undoubtedly lived before recorded music and video.

Rain is good, wind is good, cold is good, and so is heat. Sweat and effort are good. You don't even have to think of them as a means to and end. Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.


I love my IPOD and will be checking out the new I Touch 32 gig IPOD soon, but when I jog neither my Classic or my Nano come with me. I love seeing, hearing and experiencing nature and focusing on whatever comes to mind. I could not bring my IPOD on a jog.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Exercise is a pleasure, even when it hurts.


I wish I could talk myself into believing that. I'd weigh a lot less. From the moment I walk into the gym, all I'm thinking of is leaving.


Sometimes when I'm running, especially when it's uphill and I'm totally beat, I think, "It just gets harder all the time." That's forgotten as soon as I'm done.

I'm sure I'm affected by the old Protestant "You must earn your pleasures by the sweat of your brow" ethic. I think it is based on the fact that you (I) feel better after exertion. Endorphins, "runners high"? There is physical basis. Couple that with the feeling of "virtue" from slogging through slush and coming in with snow melting off the cap. You (I mean I) then deserve the braised meat and Rhone wine.
I don't run with anything in my ears. I feel it is safer and often the beats in the music can distract my pace of running.

Running is hard but it is more of a mental challenge I believe that a physical one. That is why I love it. I trains you to be disciplined mentally.

You always feel good after a run unless you push too hard and you feel drained because your heart rate was too high.
I am a life-long fan of running/jogging. Once you get it in your blood, you have to find time for it.

I am currently staying at the MGM in Las Vegas; I just paid $25 to use the Fitness Room, but with beautiful facilities which include treadmills with televisions, it was worth it. I had a great 3.5-mile run.

I have to buy one of these machines.
Been running almost everyday for 3-4 months. Was always athletic (team sports jock stuff), but never a "runner". Nothing has gotten me in shape better than running. Been going to the gym 3-4 days a wek for a few years, basketball, tennis - nothing rips the weight off and toned me like running. Down 15 pounds and that's with 3/4 of a bottle of wine a night and not eating brussel sprouts for dinner. Smile

Took a good month to really show on me and you have to be consistant. I really try never to miss a day. Even if I don;t feel strong, I'll run less.

Did six 5K runs this summer and that hooked me too. I'm 3-5 miles a day. Nothing crazy. Body still feels good - so far. I don't want to push the distance more than that.

quote:
I run not only for the physical fitness but for the mental fitness. The quiet time away from work and the kids does wonders for stress.


So true! I've also gotten some great work ideas and proposals in my head while running. Like someone earlier said, you do your best thinking running because if you "think about" the fact that you're running - You're toast! Razz
I don't run with an iPod, I run with a stopwatch. Around here we have some great bike paths along the river so it's scenic, safe and I can use various markers to constantly measure my improvement. Now if only my left achilles felt better I could run more often. The cold weather doesn't help....
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarks21:
I know 2 men in their early 50's that died either during or right after their daily jog. This is reason enough for me not to do it. Plus, I'm really lazy and I smoke.

My guess is that they had not pre-screened themselves with their repsective doctors (i.e. cardio stress test). Once that has been verified, there should not be any risk.

There are too many overweight, out-of-shape individuals that figure they can just put on their running shoes and everything will be fine.

A representative for one of our manufacturers, several years ago, was watching the Tour de France. He was inspired by the performance of Lance Armstrong and thought he would give it a go on his bike. Now, it was July, very hot outside, and he was carrying too much extra weight. He biked for an hour or so, returned to his house, and proceeded to have a heart attack. OOPS!
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
A perfect day for a run/jog today; 55 degrees and sunny. I totaled 4.2 miles, the longest run I've legged out in quite some time. Now, where's the ibuprofen?


My wife ran 20 miles on Saturday, and still had more energy than I did Saturday night. Red Face
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
A perfect day for a run/jog today; 55 degrees and sunny. I totaled 4.2 miles, the longest run I've legged out in quite some time. Now, where's the ibuprofen?


My wife ran 20 miles on Saturday, and still had more energy than I did Saturday night. Red Face

Next time you might want to try a Red Bull and blue pill. Razz
OK, I finally broke down and bought a treadmill. I prefer to run outdoors, but with the temps, icy roads, and air quality - see inversion - I decided that indoor running would be better, for now.

I must admit that the lower impact is nice. I've run just under 8 miles in the past two days. Regardless, it is a bit more difficult to recover these days.

Damn, getting older! Mad
Interesting the number of people here whom run.

I alternate between hill sprinting (about 2k), 4 k runs and interval training (4ks) three times a week. It depends where I am in NZ or Aussie at the time, but I do these at least three times a week. I play Touch rugby most Sundays I am Auckland (which is about 2 out of every 3.). After each run I do an upper body work out as well.
I my younger days I ran a lot. Now my knees are nothing but bone on bone. I still walk a lot, but no more running!

We used to do five miles every morning in my old Ranger unit. Five miles in thirty five minutes in combat boots, the old Ranger Run much faster than double time. Personal best was the 2 mile in !0:58 in combat boots. I think they let most all of the run in sneakers now. Hard on the feet and knees. Imagine that! Confused
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
I my younger days I ran a lot. Now my knees are nothing but bone on bone. I still walk a lot, but no more running!

We used to do five miles every morning in my old Ranger unit. Five miles in thirty five minutes in combat boots, the old Ranger Run much faster than double time. Personal best was the 2 mile in !0:58 in combat boots. I think they let most all of the run in sneakers now. Hard on the feet and knees. Imagine that! Confused

Seven-minute miles in combat boots?! My lungs hurt just reading that!
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
I my younger days I ran a lot. Now my knees are nothing but bone on bone. I still walk a lot, but no more running!

We used to do five miles every morning in my old Ranger unit. Five miles in thirty five minutes in combat boots, the old Ranger Run much faster than double time. Personal best was the 2 mile in !0:58 in combat boots. I think they let most all of the run in sneakers now. Hard on the feet and knees. Imagine that! Confused


Not to take anything away from your accomplishment, Sandy (because it's damn impressive!), but I was at Ironman Kona this year and a Marine did the entire 112-mile bike portion and the 26.2-mile run portion in camouflage pants and boots. I only saw him during the first part of the marathon but he looked amazingly strong, especially after riding 112 miles wearing what is definitely not triathlon-specific clothing.

Found an article here...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/health/fitness/20081...9999-1s17conner.html

... that you might be interested in seeing.
Up until about 3 years ago, I was a regular runner. I've run one marathon and 2 halves plus a bunch of 5 and 10k's. Marathon time was 4:25:00 and I had set a goal to break 4 hours on my next one.

Then I found out I had heart issues (nothing to do with running) which caused my doctor to order me to run no more marathons. I stopped running for 3 years because I was afraid.

But running has always made me feel wonderful - at least after I get to a level of fitness that gives me the endurance, fitness and core strength to actually enjoy it.

So I have begun again. Started in early January and had some pretty rough runs. Couldn't do 2k without walking. But I'm up to about 6k continuous distance now. It still feels rough, but getting there. I hope to get fit enough to run 10 miles (16k) a day 3X / week and 5 miles 3X / week and I'll probably hold there.

About the IPod: I almost never, ever used one during my 60 miles a week marathon training. But my wife, who has continued to run and had run every race with me, convinced me to try. Like someone else said, music always threw me off. The beat was always different from the step, the breathing, everything. But I figured it out and now I really like it.
Star/et.al. - The military actually banned walkman type instruments while running on posts back in the 80s. Seems people were getting so engrossed in the music, along with not being able to hear outside noise, they were getting hit by cars/trucks, unnecessarily stepping in ruts, etc. and getting hurt. The military is big on corporate punishiment, but as a warning be careful.

Kind of like all the people on cellphones while driving, or the cyclist the other day that swerved to miss a pot hole in the bike lane and came out and almost hit me. He was listening to his walkman, and couldn't even hear me along side of him. Safety first! Wink
i learned my lesson while hiking/running down the side of a santa monica "mountain" while blasting slayer. i still have the scars.

i would not run/bike/hike in the woods/on the street/in a park with anything blocking my awareness of my surroundings.

stumbling home hammered, now that's a different story. Razz
quote:
i would not run/bike/hike in the woods/on the street/in a park with anything blocking my awareness of my surroundings.

stumbling home hammered, now that's a different story.


In New York that is most certainly true. Stranger people jogging in central park in the afternoon than stumbling on curbs drunk at 2:am. Smile

Pure gym track runner since November. I can't run in the cold. Tough to zone out. All I can think of is "#uck! - it's cold and I'm running, when I'd rather be ________ (fill in blank of choice)

Rather sweat and look at gym hotties over the winter.

Down 20 pounds since last winter and with my appetite that means I'm running a lot! Smile
quote:
OK, a bit off topic here, but I played tennis for nearly two hours yesterday. The difference in quick vertical and lateral stop/start running vs. constant motion is glaring. Let's just say that my feet, knees, and joints are feeling it today.


Well the "2 hours" part had something to do it. Run for 2 hours and see how you feel. Tennis for 30 minutes is a joke. Running for 30 minutes is NO joke.

Teasing, but I played basketball all my life and yes the stopping, side movements effect you, but you do get your breaks. All I can say is running for 45 minutes or an hour straight is harder for me than even 2 hours of stop and go basketball. Everyone's different.
Ah Hunter, you must still be young. I think my basketball and tennis playing was much harder on my knees than my running.

When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up. I believe my heartbeat underwent a lot more push during the constant sprints, jumping, stretching, and motions of bball and tennis than plain running. But perhaps that's because I was in good shape!
Sitting here watching my wife stretch after her quick little 13 mile run is making me sore. Wink

Speaking of basketball. I played in the City "A" league until I was 31. I landed on a players foot after the last dunk of my career ( Smile) and broke my right foot in over a dozen places. Never played in a competitive league again.

I later broke the same foot in the simi-finals of our state racquetball tournament. Mad

I have found wine drinking much safer.
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up.


6 minute mile? That is a sprint! At least in my world.

re: tennis. The quality of the workout is usually a function of the quality of the opponent. When playing with a lesser player, the only way to get a workout is to play with one can of balls and run after the strays.....

PH
I run about 20/25 miles a week. I have run a marathon and a dozen half marathons. I run at a sub 8 minute pace. Always have. This year a bunch of us are running the Ragnar Relay - a 12 person 200 mile race in the Wassatch mountains.

Truth is I hate running. But I love finishing!
I try to do some trail running, primarily in the fall for the purpose of getting into shape for cross country skiing. I've only done one running competition in my life - a half marathon that I did many years ago (before I knew better Wink ). After that experience I realized that racing bicycles was a lot more "body friendly" exercise for me.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up.


6 minute mile? That is a sprint! At least in my world.

re: tennis. The quality of the workout is usually a function of the quality of the opponent. When playing with a lesser player, the only way to get a workout is to play with one can of balls and run after the strays.....

PH


A 6 minute mile takes some time and dedication to get to, but it can be done. I have done a mile in under 5 minutes and 30 seconds. While that might seem fast, my friend in the USMC can run a 3 mile in a little over 15 minutes and he is not even the fastest one.
quote:
Ah Hunter, you must still be young. I think my basketball and tennis playing was much harder on my knees than my running.

When running I could lay into a seven minute, six minute until my mid 30's, mile and do that without mcuh change of heartbeat throughout. I would always sprint the last 200 yards to change things up. I believe my heartbeat underwent a lot more push during the constant sprints, jumping, stretching, and motions of bball and tennis than plain running. But perhaps that's because I was in good shape!


Yeah. It's hard for me to say actually as I only took up real running the last year or so and stopped playing serious hoops years ago. I never did both at the same time - I don't think I could have! I played basketball my whole life and was able to handle it fine. My only regret is not being in the shape I'm in now back when I played recreational orgranized basketball.

I'm a lonely running stud now! Smile Doing it just for moi.
I thought running vs badmington/squash/tennis and so is because they actually use completely differing muscle groups or same muscles but in different ways. You don't get the breathlessness playing tennis that you do running, but you don't get the stretching and use of muscles from running that you do from racket sports. Heck I can run 5 k's and feel fresh, but if I play squash for an hour I am shattered.
Wisad;

I obviously agree with your point about racketball. But it's not apples to apples. Even into my forites I wwas doing 7 min miles, before my knes went. To run a hour would be about 7.5 miles. So to compare an hour of running to an hour of tennis (for me) that would have to be the comparison.

Playing tennis for an hour would wear me down, but I would enjoy it. Running for an hour would normally bore me to death.
quote:
Originally posted by WISAD:
I thought running vs badmington/squash/tennis and so is because they actually use completely differing muscle groups or same muscles but in different ways. You don't get the breathlessness playing tennis that you do running, but you don't get the stretching and use of muscles from running that you do from racket sports. Heck I can run 5 k's and feel fresh, but if I play squash for an hour I am shattered.

WISAD-

I agree with your comments here.

I have been an avid runner/jogger and played tennis for over 20 years - although last week was the first time I picked up a tennis racquet in a long time. Both types of activities provide workouts for different sets of muscles.

I can run 4-5 miles and feel great the next day. However, if I play tennis for 1-2 hours my knees and joints ache for a couple of days. And, I can certainly feel out of breath on a tennis court, especailly after a long baseline rally.

Of course, the recovery time with both activities has increased as I have advanced in years. Frown
Wow, some serious atheletes here for a bunch of vino heads!

As I rapidly approached the back side of middle age, I decided to get off the couch about 2 to 3 years ago.

Nothing to serious, but I run 3 or 4 times a week now, 3 to 4 miles each. Slow pace, barely under 10 minutes/mile but better than nothing.

I also hit the gym three times per week for weights. Again, nothing too serious, but moving some body parts around anyway.

Feel alot better for it and look forward to the workouts. Helps negate the wine calories also, a big plus.
Started running outdoors again. Really stopped running late last year. I've noticed that my heart rate is great when it is cold outside-ie remains in the 150s range and creeps up into the 160s range at the end of my run. I remember that even in when I was in better shape, if you increase the outside temp, my HR jumps into the 160s range as an average HR for the duration of the run. Ran about 5-6 miles Friday and will try again today.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Started running outdoors again. Really stopped running late last year. I've noticed that my heart rate is great when it is cold outside-ie remains in the 150s range and creeps up into the 160s range at the end of my run. I remember that even in when I was in better shape, if you increase the outside temp, my HR jumps into the 160s range as an average HR for the duration of the run. Ran about 5-6 miles Friday and will try again today.

Interesting. I am 40 years old and a life-long runner. However, after a considerable hiatus, I started running again, consistently (3-4 X week), a little over two months ago. My heart-rate jumps into the 170-180 range towards the end of my runs, which is higher than recommended, but I feel great. I am going to invest in a monitor to more accurately check my rate during my runs.

I look forward to warmer weather so I can run outdoors more often.
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Running in the Crazy Legs Classic up in Madison next weekend. 5 miles and about 11,000 people. I've been able to run on the trails around here since the snow melted in mid-February so I'm hoping for a good time. My goal is 37 minutes.

Anything under 40 minutes would be very good; 37 minutes would be fantastic. Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Started running outdoors again. Really stopped running late last year. I've noticed that my heart rate is great when it is cold outside-ie remains in the 150s range and creeps up into the 160s range at the end of my run. I remember that even in when I was in better shape, if you increase the outside temp, my HR jumps into the 160s range as an average HR for the duration of the run. Ran about 5-6 miles Friday and will try again today.

Interesting. I am 40 years old and a life-long runner. However, after a considerable hiatus, I started running again, consistently (3-4 X week), a little over two months ago. My heart-rate jumps into the 170-180 range towards the end of my runs, which is higher than recommended, but I feel great. I am going to invest in a monitor to more accurately check my rate during my runs.

I look forward to warmer weather so I can run outdoors more often.


Interesting. I'm in my late 30s and I find that if I push my heart rate up too high, ie 170-174 for a prolonged period of time, I actually feel worse and very tired and drained at the end of the run. The contrary is true at a lower heart rate. Maybe you are just fine at a higher heart rate-check it out with your doctor.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Interesting. I'm in my late 30s and I find that if I push my heart rate up too high, ie 170-174 for a prolonged period of time, I actually feel worse and very tired and drained at the end of the run. The contrary is true at a lower heart rate. Maybe you are just fine at a higher heart rate-check it out with your doctor.

I don't maintain the higher rate for a long period of time; maybe 5-7 minutes.

However, I do have a scheduled check-up with my PCP in a couple of weeks. It's time to check my cholesterol, BP, etc. I will be sure to add this inquiry to my list.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×