So I phoned this wine shop....

So I phoned this wine shop today and had a very interesting conversation.

Me: Hi I am looking for a bottle of Cheval Blanc listed on your website, I just want to call and make sure it is in stock.

Guy on the phone: Sir, you are mistaken! Premier Cru Cheval Blanc is a region, there are at least 40-50 wines from this region. It is not the brand name of the wine. You have to give me a name of the wine for me to look for it.

Me: ............... (5 seconds of dead air) ........... um... actually I am pretty sure it's the name of the wine. Would you please check it?

Guy: No, it's not. You are wrong.

Me: Ok nevermind.

Then I try to inquire about a Haut Brion that I was interested instead since I figure it will take too much effort to explain Bordeaux ABC to him, plus his tone was kind of rude, making me sound like a fool, so I gave up on the Cheval.

Me: I would like to ask about the 1996 Haut Brion instead. It is spelt H-A-U-T B-R-I-O-N. from bordeaux.

(This time I politely spell it out just to make sure it wasn't a misunderstanding due to Lousy phone reception)

The guy: Again, Haut Brion is a region. I am not sure what you mean! There are over 50 wines from this region. I can't find it unless you give me the brand of the wine.

Me: err.... are you a sales person ?

The guy: I the sommelier of this store.

Me: OOOkay .....
Original Post
LOL, then maybe if I've asked for Hot Brian he would have understood completely. Btw, the place is call Avon liquor, in Colorado. In retrospect I should have pressed on to lure some funnier responses out of this guy, but at first I was just so stunned, and by the end too busy holding my laughter.

DeMarco, it's great to meet a local on the boards. We should get together a BC offline later, now that we can BYOB.
quote:
Is the shop in Brooklyn?

Meaning???????????

Great story tho. I once went into a store on the corner of my street (OK, in Brooklyn) and I saw some wine and a sign with a price. I picked up the wine, nothing special but OK, and inquired as to whether it was really $15. Normally it would be like $20, so it was an OK deal for dinner. Taking a moment off from cursing out the stockboy over some incident earlier in the day, the owner looked at me and gave me an indulgent smile.

"Oh no. That's a Hot Medoc. That's a lot more than $15."
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:

DeMarco, it's great to meet a local on the boards. We should get together a BC offline later, now that we can BYOB.

Gundam, great idea! I'd be very interested in participating. Let me know if/how I could help in the planning.
quote:
Originally posted by DeMarco:
quote:

Gundam, great idea! I'd be very interested in participating. Let me know if/how I could help in the planning.

quote:
Originally posted by geppetto:
quote:
Originally posted by DeMarco:
quote:

Hey, I live in Port Moody and I would love to join in if you are willing to put up with a novice. I've only been doing the wine thing for about five years, so the cellar is a little young, but I might be able to find something worthy to bring along. Of course I am a little worried if we are talking the likes of Cheval Blanc and Haut Brion. Those regions are a little rich for my meager earnings.
quote:
So I phoned this wine shop today and had a very interesting conversation.
... bottle of Cheval Blanc listed on your website, I just want to call and make sure it is in stock.
... inquire about a Haut Brion that I was interested instead ...
OOOkay .....

In Avon this weekend, thought I should drop by Avon Liquors on Saturday.

What I saw - at least one bottle of each on display:
'04 Cheval Blanc $679.99
'04 Haut-Brion $789.99

They had some Charles Smith wines that were a bit over retail, but currently sold out from the source. Picked up two bottles.

Add Reply

Likes (0)