slow and low

What is the lowest temperature you have cooked meat at. Aussie chef Neil Perry recommends cooking some meats as low as 167F! Eek

Any cuts, times and temps that worked out remmarkably well for you would be appreciated if mentioned here.
Original Post
Last weekend a 5 lb. pork butt was cooked first at 350F for 20 minutes then followed by 230F for 5 hours and 210F for a final 3 hours. After resting for 15 minutes the meat pan was drained and the remaining meat pulled thoroughly, rejoined with the drained juices and finally all top broiled until crispy. Cochinita pibil flavorings helped make this serving after serving of pure taco heaven for the day.

And a homemade salsa verde using my own husk cherries instead of tomatillos, apples and mildly hot straggler scotch bonnet peppers. Slow and low... Cool
I cook a tri-tip for two days in sous vide at 135. Actually, I just started one today for a party Sunday. Anyway, when I'm ready I take it out of the bath and show it to a super hot grill to add color and bit of texture.

When I smoke boston butts, I do 5-6 hours in the smoker at 240-ish. Then move to a Dutch oven and finish for another 12 hours in an indoor oven at 175.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Where are the beans?

Threw the beans on after we took the pig off, and then I went home to shower. So I didn't get a pic of those. They were very good, though.

I don't recall what I opened, but my friend opened a double mag of '98 Matthews Yakima Valley. It was just peaking. Smile
Spo,

Besides vino, my other hobby is BBQ. I grew up all over the South, so I was fortunate enough to experience several regional styles (East Carolina Vinegar, Texas Pit, etc.). Each has their own flare, & preferred cooking temps. They all have one thing in common...LOW & SLOW!

Pork shoulders are my favorite to smoke, and I aim for 220F for 12+ hours.

Brisket can go a little lower, between 200-220F. A good cut can smoke for up to 24 hours.

As for "lowest" cooking temps, cold-smoking salmon is done at less than 100F. Keep in mind, this is after a hefty brine a curing stage.

BTW, I'll have to bring some up to the next offline Smile
quote:
I don't know that either but how did you do the whole pig? Did you have some kind of rotisserie? I want to do one but I'm not sure I have the setup.

Greg T,

No need for any fancy contraptions for smoking a whole pig. If you can source a whole suckling pig, they usually give them to you dressed, with the eyes taken out. They'll easily fit on a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain.

With any pork, I prefer a 220F smoke with "Chef's Choice" briquettes for an even burn. Natural lump is great for quick cooks, but tends to have flare-ups for the longer ones. I also like a 3 to 1 mix of Apple to Pecan wood, but this is all preference. Hickory works nice too, and is the traditional wood for East Carolina Vinegar BBQ.

I'm getting hungry...

Add Reply

Likes (0)