purplehaze posted:
theoldman posted:
bomba503 posted:
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Warren Zevon

First heard my mother say this around 1975. She continued to use it for many more decades.

The origin of the quote is actually a lot earlier than Warren Zevon.  Ben Franklin said, "There will be sleeping enough in the grave."  Pretty close, no?

PH

Close but not he same. Everythings been done in similar ways before and its easy to be Negative No friends Norm yet this quote is still attributed to Warren Zevon.

bomba503 posted:
purplehaze posted:
theoldman posted:
bomba503 posted:
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Warren Zevon

First heard my mother say this around 1975. She continued to use it for many more decades.

The origin of the quote is actually a lot earlier than Warren Zevon.  Ben Franklin said, "There will be sleeping enough in the grave."  Pretty close, no?

PH

Close but not he same. Everythings been done in similar ways before and its easy to be Negative No friends Norm yet this quote is still attributed to Warren Zevon. 

I didn't think that quoting Benjamin Franklin was being negative. 

purplehaze posted:

I think bomba must be having a bad day.  

And for my edification, bomba....

Please explain any substantive difference in the meaning of the two quotes.  They seem identical in meaning to me.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I like Warren Zevon.

PH

I like his music too, but after reading his biography, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, I just can't stand him as a person. In fact, I only got through half the book before I had to put it down. That's a first for me.

I had actually assumed, since my mother used it so long ago, that it was a general Jewish saying. She would say it as a command if you didn't get up, "Sleep when you're dead." I only know two Zevon songs (the usual suspects) and never followed anything else he did. I did not know he had a song with that title or he had written any kind of book. I thought perhaps, being Jewish himself, he had heard it first from a family member.

mneeley490 posted:
purplehaze posted:

I think bomba must be having a bad day.  

And for my edification, bomba....

Please explain any substantive difference in the meaning of the two quotes.  They seem identical in meaning to me.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I like Warren Zevon.

PH

I like his music too, but after reading his biography, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, I just can't stand him as a person. In fact, I only got through half the book before I had to put it down. That's a first for me.

Yeah... Warren was pretty much a dick.  Kind of like Donald Fagen.  Talented musician and songwriter, but a douchebag for the most part.

PH

“Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government. . . . Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance. . . . Go, get you out! Make haste! . . . In the name of God, go!”

Oliver Cromwell - 1653

purplehaze posted:

“Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government. . . . Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance. . . . Go, get you out! Make haste! . . . In the name of God, go!”

Oliver Cromwell - 1653

This should be the entire Democratic response to the State of the Nation address.

Here is a proposed speech from Pelosi.............
"We Democrats believe that the proposal of the President to build a wall of 200 miles on a 2000 mile border with Mexico is an utter waste of money.  Obviously, Mexico isn’t going to pay for it.  The President proposes that the American taxpayers pay for it.  The wall will not work. The wall will be expensive to build, to maintain, and to monitor.  We Democrats are always criticized for spending money wildly, and yet, here is a Republican President who wants to waste taxpayer money on a useless thing, and whose other policies have caused the deficit to soar.  If we spend the money to finance the wall, the deficit goes up a bit more.
But, it is extremely important to security, to the economy, to the environment, to public safety, to air safety, to agriculture, to consumers and for many other reasons that the government shutdown be ended.
So, we have decided to give the President his $5.7 billion for the wall, if he will reopen the government now and pledge not to ever shut it down again.  The wall can be built, and we are confident that we will see later that it was a useless waste of resources that ought to be spent on other things. "
Of course, the Pres. will declare victory.  But, in reality, the $5.7 billion isn't taken down to the border in bags and burnt up.  It is spent on material and labor, and pumped back into the economy. Some of it actually comes back to the Government in the form of taxes.
Not sure I agree with my own post here, but just thinking out loud.

There is a beauty in discovery. There is mathematics in music, a kinship of science and poetry in the description of nature, and exquisite form in a molecule. Attempts to place different disciplines in different camps are revealed as artificial in the face of the unity of knowledge.
Glenn Seaborg,
chemist

It's been 96 hours since I heard the call go out over our radios and listened to the incident unfold. I was on my way to the scene when I listened to the first officer advise he'd been shot. And then the next one. And then everything went dark around the edges.

Every time an officer was hit, another went in. No one retreated. They forged ahead with shields and weapons as true warriors do and no one backed down until the threat was eliminated. We learned right away that there were casualties and I can't tell you how hard it was to hear that we were too late to save them. Every officer will carry that heaviness with them. It becomes a part of them now.

Every on-duty Aurora police officer showed up at the scene ready to go in and fight. Off-duty officers came to battle. As we were coordinating operations, I looked around and saw hundreds of uniforms from all over the state standing at the ready. I lost count of how many agency heads walked up to me and said, "We have a team here. Tell us what you need."

This is a familiar feeling to me. The law enforcement family has strong bonds, and it was no surprise to me that they all showed up. But I was still overwhelmed by it.

Our Special Response Team leaders coordinated SWAT teams from other agencies. Our brothers and sisters from the Aurora Fire Department staged their medics and swooped in as needed. Ambulances from other jurisdictions waited in line to do the same.

As the shooter was still at large in the building, teams were sent in for dual missions: to locate and stop the shooter and to find and rescue victims. Our Rescue Task Force (RTF) training with APD and AFD in the months earlier prepared the team of medics and police officers who forged into the building. Our tactical officers were well equipped to cover vast space within the structure. It was like a giant game of hide and seek – except for the person hiding was trying to kill them.

When they finally found him in the rear of the building, shots rang out again, and those of us on the outside held our breaths until we would hear confirmation that the shooter was down.

This is just a part of a statement put out today by Aurora, Illinois police chief Kristin Ziman. 

billhike posted:

It's been 96 hours since I heard the call go out over our radios and listened to the incident unfold. I was on my way to the scene when I listened to the first officer advise he'd been shot. And then the next one. And then everything went dark around the edges.

Every time an officer was hit, another went in. No one retreated. They forged ahead with shields and weapons as true warriors do and no one backed down until the threat was eliminated. We learned right away that there were casualties and I can't tell you how hard it was to hear that we were too late to save them. Every officer will carry that heaviness with them. It becomes a part of them now.

Every on-duty Aurora police officer showed up at the scene ready to go in and fight. Off-duty officers came to battle. As we were coordinating operations, I looked around and saw hundreds of uniforms from all over the state standing at the ready. I lost count of how many agency heads walked up to me and said, "We have a team here. Tell us what you need."

This is a familiar feeling to me. The law enforcement family has strong bonds, and it was no surprise to me that they all showed up. But I was still overwhelmed by it.

Our Special Response Team leaders coordinated SWAT teams from other agencies. Our brothers and sisters from the Aurora Fire Department staged their medics and swooped in as needed. Ambulances from other jurisdictions waited in line to do the same.

As the shooter was still at large in the building, teams were sent in for dual missions: to locate and stop the shooter and to find and rescue victims. Our Rescue Task Force (RTF) training with APD and AFD in the months earlier prepared the team of medics and police officers who forged into the building. Our tactical officers were well equipped to cover vast space within the structure. It was like a giant game of hide and seek – except for the person hiding was trying to kill them.

When they finally found him in the rear of the building, shots rang out again, and those of us on the outside held our breaths until we would hear confirmation that the shooter was down.

This is just a part of a statement put out today by Aurora, Illinois police chief Kristin Ziman. 

If only there was this same action taken in the Parkland School shooting.

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There 
may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for 
... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. 
In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you rarely go 
wrong. 
   If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning
fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then 
vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if 
such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of 
time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.

--Lazarus Long

“Most other sciences are in a state of constant flux. The precious truths of one generation being smiled at as paradoxes by the second generation, and contemptuously swept away as childish nonsense by the third. … But neither 30 years, nor 30 centuries, affect the clearness, or the charm, of geometric truths.” Alice in Wonderland author (and mathematician) Lewis Carroll

Add Reply

Likes (0)