Share your Quotes

purplehaze posted:
theoldman posted:
bomba503 posted:
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Warren Zevon

First heard my mother say this around 1975. She continued to use it for many more decades.

The origin of the quote is actually a lot earlier than Warren Zevon.  Ben Franklin said, "There will be sleeping enough in the grave."  Pretty close, no?

PH

Close but not he same. Everythings been done in similar ways before and its easy to be Negative No friends Norm yet this quote is still attributed to Warren Zevon.

bomba503 posted:
purplehaze posted:
theoldman posted:
bomba503 posted:
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Warren Zevon

First heard my mother say this around 1975. She continued to use it for many more decades.

The origin of the quote is actually a lot earlier than Warren Zevon.  Ben Franklin said, "There will be sleeping enough in the grave."  Pretty close, no?

PH

Close but not he same. Everythings been done in similar ways before and its easy to be Negative No friends Norm yet this quote is still attributed to Warren Zevon. 

I didn't think that quoting Benjamin Franklin was being negative. 

purplehaze posted:

I think bomba must be having a bad day.  

And for my edification, bomba....

Please explain any substantive difference in the meaning of the two quotes.  They seem identical in meaning to me.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I like Warren Zevon.

PH

I like his music too, but after reading his biography, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, I just can't stand him as a person. In fact, I only got through half the book before I had to put it down. That's a first for me.

I had actually assumed, since my mother used it so long ago, that it was a general Jewish saying. She would say it as a command if you didn't get up, "Sleep when you're dead." I only know two Zevon songs (the usual suspects) and never followed anything else he did. I did not know he had a song with that title or he had written any kind of book. I thought perhaps, being Jewish himself, he had heard it first from a family member.

mneeley490 posted:
purplehaze posted:

I think bomba must be having a bad day.  

And for my edification, bomba....

Please explain any substantive difference in the meaning of the two quotes.  They seem identical in meaning to me.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I like Warren Zevon.

PH

I like his music too, but after reading his biography, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, I just can't stand him as a person. In fact, I only got through half the book before I had to put it down. That's a first for me.

Yeah... Warren was pretty much a dick.  Kind of like Donald Fagen.  Talented musician and songwriter, but a douchebag for the most part.

PH

“Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government. . . . Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance. . . . Go, get you out! Make haste! . . . In the name of God, go!”

Oliver Cromwell - 1653

Add Reply

Likes (0)