Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Taking old friends out for anniversary dinner tonight, along with

-  2021 Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc Te Muna

- 2002 Le Brun Severnay Champagne Brut Avize  Vieilles Vignes

- 2014 Bilaud Simon Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu

- 2016 Lingua Franca Pinot Noir Estate

and dessert wine from the restaurant’s ample list.   Am quite interested 5FF077F3-1DF3-4E07-B751-89C217465A74to see how this Champagne will show; it’s been 10 years since I last had one.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 5FF077F3-1DF3-4E07-B751-89C217465A74

Last night with some thankfully cooler temperature, 2005 Finca Sandoval, Problematic cork but an ah-so solves that; youthfully dark, with big berry and dark pepper nose; intense mouthful of blackberry, plum, licorice, tobacco, pepper, plush and rich, ending in a very long rich finish with light fine tannins outlasted by the fruit. A powerhouse. EF03AA54-B621-4116-8643-386DE29A1E4D

Attachments

Images (1)
  • EF03AA54-B621-4116-8643-386DE29A1E4D

Hey, Mimik, your earlier post about 2010 Donjon reminded me that I haven’t checked out that wine in a while. I bought a case, plus 3 loose bottles for monitoring its development. We had the last loose bottle last night. The 2010 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape is still dark, big plum and berry nose that follows on the palate, along with black licorice, white pepper, some tobacco notes, silky, long finish with some fine tannins showing up at the end, but these should resolve in the next couple years. This wine is getting close to peak, and should hold there for a few years.

On release I bought 6 bottles of the 1998 Donjon, a case of 2005, amd a case of 2010. These might be the best values in red wines that I have bought over the years. All have shown beautifully, not even a corked bottle <knock on wood> in the bunch. I admire the fact that the owners produce just the one bottling, nothing held back for a reserve wine like so many others do. Old school producer. Bravo!

Thanls for the memory prompt, Mim.😁

Last edited by seaquam

A nice pairing from down south.  I have commented on the Neudorf Chardonnay before, and it is holding up well.  The 1998 Bin 389 was the first of three bought on release.  Magnificent wine from start to finish.  Wearing its age well (dark fruit playing off against more savory/spicy elements).  No hurry to pop the next cork.

Attachments

Images (1)
@seaquam posted:

Hey, Mimik, your earlier post about 2010 Donjon reminded me that I haven’t checked out that wine in a while. I bought a case, plus 3 loose bottles for monitoring its development. We had the last loose bottle last night. The 2010 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape is still dark, big plum and berry nose that follows on the palate, along with black licorice, white pepper, some tobacco notes, silky, long finish with some fine tannins showing up at the end, but these should resolve in the next couple years. This wine is getting close to peak, and should hold there for a few years.

On release I bought 6 bottles of the 1998 Donjon, a case of 2005, amd a case of 2010. These might be the best values in red wines that I have bought over the years. All have shown beautifully, not even a corked bottle <knock on wood> in the bunch. I admire the fact that the owners produce just the one bottling, nothing held back for a reserve wine like so many others do. Old school producer. Bravo!

Thanls for the memory prompt, Mim.😁

Oh I share your enthusiasm for Vieux Donjon wines. Solid cdp producer and great value for the money. Like the fact the winery is traditional.

Totally concur with your notes on the 2010. Similar to my notes on Ct. Hopefully I’ll get my ass back to Ottawa so we can sit down and have another dinner together.

Had dinner on Saturday night at Le P'tit Plateau with J3 and S who were in town for the weekend. Really good meal of cassoulet with 4 excellent wines and great conversation. Added bonus of not having to leave at 9 pm for the second seating.

2016 Sadie Family, Skerpioen

2000 Chateau Lynch Bages

2001 Paul Jaboulet Ainé, Hermitage, La Chapelle

2005 Domaine Jamet, Cote Rotie (mmmm bacon)

It was good to have an offline but unfortunately we were unable to coax any of the other Montreal cru out.

Friday ar the local fish spot:

- 2009 Château Smith Haut Lafite, CORKED! Still haven’t gotten over this one. I cellared this (and one more) for 11 years, and had been  looking forward to it for a long time. C’est domage.

- 2016 William Fevre Chablis 1er Cru Montmains, excellent

- 2019 Jermann Ribolla Gialla, from the list to replace corked wine, lots of pear and mineral, silky, but its outstanding characteristic is its killer acidity. Very refreshing and crisp, with lots of time ahead of it.

Saturday ar home:

- 2016 Mount Peak Zinfandel Rattlesnake, pretty good, balanced

8BC6D7C7-156B-4332-A621-4BEB50C6AD03Sunday night:

Scored 1.5 pounds of really fresh small chanterelles, so had a little wine dinner with friends, chanterelles and cream appetizer, chanterelle risotto, duck sausage, etc.

- 2010 Zind Humbecht Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl, gorgeous burnished gold with flecks of orange, and tastes as good as it looks. Apricot, melon, mandarin orange, white pepper, rich texture, all bolstered by excellent acidity that keeps it fresh, super long. A Wow! wine.

- 2006 Nicolas Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Ronceret, dark cherry and plum on the nose and palate, anise, spice cake, very silky, very long finish.

- 2005 Alain Burguet Chambertin Grand Cru Clos de Beze, blackberry, cherry, tobacco, mineral, black licorice, just loaded with fruit and character, plush texture, long finish, fabulous. I bought this in NYC 14 years ago and forgot about it; how lucky for me!

- 2010 Marcarini Barolo Brunate, a wine that opened up significantly in decanter; rose petals, plum, tobacco, mineral, spice cake, all lovely but lots of fine tannins emerge and clamp down on the long finish; still needs time

- 2000 Albert Mann Gewürztraminer Vendanges Tardives Altenbourg, another wine with beautiful colour, dark gold and green, peach, melon, light cherrry, hint of roasted marshmallow, light but intense, very long finish, perfect accompaniment to a traditional Romanian cake similar to sponge cake (purchased). Great way to end this meal.

Excellent wine night, and the food wasn’t bad either. 😊

66BC3C39-8D03-4738-8464-8DFCE4656869

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 8BC6D7C7-156B-4332-A621-4BEB50C6AD03
  • 66BC3C39-8D03-4738-8464-8DFCE4656869
@steve8 posted:

Had dinner on Saturday night at Le P'tit Plateau with J3 and S who were in town for the weekend. Really good meal of cassoulet with 4 excellent wines and great conversation. Added bonus of not having to leave at 9 pm for the second seating.

2000 Chateau Lynch Bages

It was good to have an offline but unfortunately we were unable to coax any of the other Montreal cru out.

Nice wines. I wish I could have been there. I had a good excuse, not so sure about the others.

@seaquam posted:

- 2010 Zind Humbecht Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl, gorgeous burnished gold with flecks of orange, and tastes as good as it looks. Apricot, melon, mandarin orange, white pepper, rich texture, all bolstered by excellent acidity that keeps it fresh, super long. A Wow! wine.

IMHO pinot gris is what Z-H does best. Their gewurz is just too over the top for me. The rieslings are really good but the PG Windsbuhl is special.

@steve8 posted:

2000 Chateau Lynch Bages

Thanks to steve8 for setting this up. Agreed - great wines and conversation.

J3

@seaquam posted:

With pasta in heirloom tomato sauce with lots of Reggiano, 2007 Ruffino Modus, great nose and equally good on the palate; lots of plum, berries, dark chocolate, plush, very long finish.  Still have a couple more bottles from a case; I’ll be sad when the last one is gone.

A883F391-344B-4EE1-A53D-BF5F2C21AD54

We have just one more of the 2007s left.  It's been a great run.  Not sure that subsequent releases have been up to that standard, but I'm looking forward to trying the 2018 at some point. 

The 2007 was #25 in Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2010.

With assorted sushi rolls, then rack of lamb with mustard sauce. Birthday dinner.

- NV Ayala Champagne Brut Majeur Rosé (375 ml), yellow cherry, grapefruit, lemon, good acidity, rich texture, long finish, excellent

- 2001 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm, still looks and smells shockingly young, plum, blackberry, anise, dark coffee, very velvety, extremely long finish with lots of fruit, some mineral, little to no tannin, plush. A powerhouse. Wow!  No, make that… WOW!!

E610D7A7-CE52-4A21-AF9B-E75D96794AD1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • E610D7A7-CE52-4A21-AF9B-E75D96794AD1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.