1986 Lafite

1986 Mouton

1989 Lafite

1989 Mouton

1996 Latour 

1996 lafite 

2007 D’Yquem

Nicely done.  Any standouts?

82 Latour and 89 mouton were special with plenty fruit left and should be holding for at least a decade

the The 82 Mouton was a little off not corked but funky

the 70 Lafite and Latour showed wonderful tertiary aromas but clearly downhill 

With the San Diego wine tasting group at Sbicca in Del Mar on Saturday:

2010 Philippe Fourrier Brut, Champagne

2017 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay, Platt Vineyard, Sonoma Coast

2013 Peter Michael "Mon Plaisir" Chardonnay --  FIRST PLACE by group vote (white wines)

2000 Mount Mary Vineyard "Quintet" Yarra Valley, Australia.  Tasted blind in the venerable Shebang jug; guesses were all over the northern hemisphere, with no guesses in the correct hemisphere.

1992 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon -- THIRD PLACE (reds)

2004 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon, The Montelena Estate -- FIRST PLACE (reds)

1999 Clarendon Hills Astralis

2009 Morlet Passionnément Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley -- SECOND PLACE (reds)

2014 Melville Block M Pinot Noir, Santa Rita Hilla

2011 Paul Lato "The Prospect" Pinot Noir, Sierra Madre Vineyard

1985 Churchill's Vintage Port

Wines and people all showing well.

2010 Tournon (Chapoutier), Shiraz, Lady's Lane Vnyd.

Corked. Too bad because it is not a typical Oz shiraz. Much more restrained. With some patience and persistence I managed to get the SAQ to give me a credit for the wine even if it didn't scan in their system.

2013 Roses de Jeanne, Champagne, Les Ursules

OK, now I get the hype about Bouchard's champagnes. Stunning. I want more.

Bytown Rick posted:

Cal cabs and some friends.  First lunch with Machine (from Toronto), bman and mrs. bman, bytown rick and mrs, br at Beckta in Ottawa.

I

And every bottle was stellar, aside from the Ramey which was only OK.  It's fun to taste really old bottles when they show so well!

2011 Querce Bettina BdM  - drinking well 

2015 Querce Bettina RdM - can’t wait for the Brunello 

2009 Château Larrivet Haut Brion - was truly surprised at how good this wine is right now

2015 Château Larrivet Haut Brion - good potential 

2015 Clos Floridene Bordeaux Blanc - Good QPR

2009 Guiraud Sauternes - perfectly paired with Cashel Blue Cheese

redknife posted:

This week

05 Quilceda creek

1970 chateau Lafite 

1970 Chateau Latour

1982 Mouton

1982 Latour 

1986 Lafite

1986 Mouton

1989 Lafite

1989 Mouton

1996 Latour 

1996 lafite 

2007 D’Yquem

How's the '96 Lafite doing?  I last had it about 10-12 years ago, and after and hour of air time, I thought it was one of the greatest wines I've ever tried.   Friends tell me that it has since closed down, and is going to need another 5 years to mature. Was that your experience?

2004 La Leccaia BDM - lots of bottle variation with this wine. All 4 were bought on release at the LCBO and stored properly but the first 3 were on the downside and not great. This bottle was pretty damn good. 

2010 LDH Cubillo  - enjoyable but the oak is bordering too much at this time. Should be a great QPR in 3-5+ years as there's definitely enough fruit

Over the past few days

2017 Feudi di San Gregorio, Greco di Tufo

2003 Quinta do Vesuvio, Vintage Port

2015 Tardieu-Laurent, Rasteau, Vieilles Vignes

2015 Domaine Fouassier, Sancerre, Les Grands Groux

2011 Element, Riesling

2016 La Tunella, Friuli Colli Orientale, Biancosesto

2018 Pra, Soave Classico, Otto

With KSC02, Vinaigre  and a visiting friend of mine over lunch on Wednesday

2017 Billaud-Simon, Chablis, Mont de Milieu

2009 Delas Freres, Hermitage, Blanc

2010 Chateau Simone, Palette, Blanc

2017 Thorne & Daughters, Semillon, Paper Kite

steve8 posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

Second lunch with Machine and bman in Ottawa at Play.  A few 2000 Bordeaux and some friends.  Followed by a nice walk through the Byward Market.

Rick, is that Gruaud-Larose a 2000? If so, how was it? TIA

The GL was indeed a 2000, courtesy of bman.  This was first 2000 GL that I have tried, but for my taste it is just entering what should be a long drinking window.  Worth a try now if you have several, but I will wait a few years before opening one, to see how the tertiary characteristics develop.  Maybe bman and machine can comment further.

Interestingly, I found there were more similarities than differences between the three 2000s.  And you will note that I snuck a bottle of 2012 Le Vieux Pin Ava into the mix.  I always enjoy seeing how others respond to this white Rhone-style blend from the Okanagan, served blind.  

Bytown Rick posted:
steve8 posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

Second lunch with Machine and bman in Ottawa at Play.  A few 2000 Bordeaux and some friends.  Followed by a nice walk through the Byward Market.

Rick, is that Gruaud-Larose a 2000? If so, how was it? TIA

The GL was indeed a 2000, courtesy of bman.  This was first 2000 GL that I have tried, but for my taste it is just entering what should be a long drinking window.  Worth a try now if you have several, but I will wait a few years before opening one, to see how the tertiary characteristics develop.  Maybe bman and machine can comment further.

Interestingly, I found there were more similarities than differences between the three 2000s.  And you will note that I snuck a bottle of 2012 Le Vieux Pin Ava into the mix.  I always enjoy seeing how others respond to this white Rhone-style blend from the Okanagan, served blind.  

I thought it was much too young but as you know, I am hardly a Bordeaux expert.  DoktaP suggested a year or two ago that it was too young then and I think it still is.  I liked it the least of all, and the Monbousquet most of all.

F292B1B7-FCE6-42EE-A3A8-31B41986CAE9At a friend’s birthday bash with about 14 vintages of d’Yquem - Flight 1 (93, 95, 96, 98), Flight 2 (59, 68, 70, 79, 80, 83), and Flight 3 (88, 90, 99, 04).  Oh yeah, some 1979 birth year wines - Margaux, Haut Brion, La Mission Haut Brion, Latour - and a few others.  The d’Yquem were the stars.  The 68 and 70 were awesome with the 95 and 83 right behind.  The 96, 98, 99, 04 were still young.  The latter felt a bit disjointed.  

There were 22 of us with 2 bottles of each wine I think with the exception of the ‘59 which someone said was corked.  The ‘80 stood out in a bad way unfortunately.  If tasted blind, I would have thought it was the Ygrec.  It was a pale yellow due to the lack of botrytis that didn’t  develope.

Attachments

Photos (1)
doubled posted:

F292B1B7-FCE6-42EE-A3A8-31B41986CAE9At a friend’s birthday bash with about 14 vintages of d’Yquem - Flight 1 (93, 95, 96, 98), Flight 2 (59, 68, 70, 79, 80, 83), and Flight 3 (88, 90, 99, 04).  Oh yeah, some 1979 birth year wines - Margaux, Haut Brion, La Mission Haut Brion, Latour - and a few others.  The d’Yquem were the stars.  The 68 and 70 were awesome with the 95 and 83 right behind.  The 96, 98, 99, 04 were still young.  The latter felt a bit disjointed.  

There were 22 of us with 2 bottles of each wine I think with the exception of the ‘59 which someone said was corked.  The ‘80 stood out in a bad way unfortunately.  If tasted blind, I would have thought it was the Ygrec.  It was a pale yellow due to the lack of botrytis that didn’t  develope.

So how many major corporations does your friend own?

Bman - there were 16 of the 22 who were serious winos, and each made a contribution of one of the bottles.  Some were from their cellars.  The rest were sourced.  The birthday boy and his wife supplied several of the bottles.  I don’t remember which but I’d guess they brought the birth year bottles.

bman posted:
Beta P posted:

1999 Musar ( red).

I've got a bottle.  Is it at peak?  Any notes?

After a 3 hour decant, it was singing.  This was my 3rd bottle of 12, so I have lots left, and while I don't know that it will improve much,  think it will hold for another 8-10 years.

Beta P posted:
bman posted:
Beta P posted:

1999 Musar ( red).

I've got a bottle.  Is it at peak?  Any notes?

After a 3 hour decant, it was singing.  This was my 3rd bottle of 12, so I have lots left, and while I don't know that it will improve much,  think it will hold for another 8-10 years.

fantastic wine week with a couple different groups of friends

2009 Francois Boulard Grand Cru Grande Montagne
Jacquesson 736 Extra brut
2016 Bernabeleva Garnacha de Vina Bonita 
2005 Fuligni BDM
2008 Giacosa Falletto Barolo 
1969 Biondi Santi Il Greppo Riserva

Jacques Lassaigne La Colline Inspirée Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut
1990 Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne
1997 Saffredi 
1989 Leoville Las Cases
2001 Valdicava BDM