1999 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia
2017 Domaine Romaneaux-Destezet (Hervé Souhaut) La Souteronne
2003 Tardieu-Laurent Côte-Rôtie
2004 Convento San Francisco S.L. Ribera del Duero
2007 Ornellaia
2011 Castello di Ama Haiku
2013 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Calderara Sottana
2001 Frescobaldi Lamaiole

Some mighty fine drinking, mangiare. Every time I see you post about the 99 Rancia I tell myself I need to open one. Then I promptly forget.

How were the 03 Côte-Rôtie, 13 Terre Nere and 01 Lamaione?  

For that matter, what about the 07 Ornellaia and 11 Haiku, both of which I would think are still infants.

sunnylea57 posted:
mangiare posted:

Notables over the past few weeks

1996 Château Lynch-Bages
1977 Dalva Vintage Port
2008 Di Meo Taurasi Riserva - total plonk
1999 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia
2017 Domaine Romaneaux-Destezet (Hervé Souhaut) La Souteronne
2003 Tardieu-Laurent Côte-Rôtie
2004 Convento San Francisco S.L. Ribera del Duero
2007 Ornellaia
2011 Castello di Ama Haiku
2013 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Calderara Sottana
2001 Frescobaldi Lamaiole

Some mighty fine drinking, mangiare. Every time I see you post about the 99 Rancia I tell myself I need to open one. Then I promptly forget.

How were the 03 Côte-Rôtie, 13 Terre Nere and 01 Lamaione?  

For that matter, what about the 07 Ornellaia and 11 Haiku, both of which I would think are still infants.

Hadn't posted in a while and these were the ones I recalled but I'm sure there were many more. 

If you have a few of the Rancia, open one, really good juice if not on the young side. 
The TL Cote Rotie is drinking very well not showing any heat from the vintage. Raw meat, bacon and animal fur all day long. 

The Terre Nere was actually opened accidentally by Mrs Mangiare thinking it was a normale. Got home and gave it a swirl and txted vinoevelo because it was so damn gooood. If they were still in the $35-$50 cad price range, I'd be a buyer. Latest vintage is $80.  

Had the Lamaione in Italy and found it heavy but it was 40+ Celsius so take that for what it's worth. 

The 07 Ornellaia needs a lot of time but still enjoyable.  The Haiku is currently one dimensional so hold for me. 

Just remembered we had the most enjoyable bottle of Selosse Initial in a restaurant in Lecce. Nice to enjoy such a great bottle over dinner, especially when it was on the list for 140euros. A splurge but so worth it.  

Fut, it was actually 170Eur on the menu so I asked the owner if he actually had it as it's not something you regularly see in the deep south of Italy ? When he brought it over, he offered to sell it for 140 if I was interested. Osteria deli Spiriti in Lecce 

Special night, special wines, with Racer117, JulieD, Mrs. S.

- 1989 Krug Champagne — deep gold, honey, roasted pear, ginger, extremely rich and smooth, long finish, must be in its prime; one of the 2 or 3 finest Champagnes I’ve been fortunate enough to drink; really hard to finish the last glass

- 1989 Chateau Malescot St. Exupéry (Margaux) — delicious cassis, basil leaf, black pepper, hints of mineral, silky, medium-long finish; not a powerhouse but harmonious and balanced; might still have a couple good years ahead of it

- 1989 Domaine Bourillon-Dorléans Vouvray Molleux Château-Chevrier — a Loire beauty, papaya, mango, pineapple, casaba melon, all swirling in a moderately sweet, lightweight mouthful of silky intensity, very long finish, very good acidity; killer with a raspberry financier cake

Just another wonderful evening enjoying a couple glasses of wine and some foodA3C1B4CB-C90B-495B-BE03-2D711FDAE0F8

with good friends...  😀

Attachments

Photos (1)
mangiare posted:

Fut, it was actually 170Eur on the menu so I asked the owner if he actually had it as it's not something you regularly see in the deep south of Italy ? When he brought it over, he offered to sell it for 140 if I was interested. Osteria deli Spiriti in Lecce 

Even better! Would he have sold it for 110 if you wanted to take it home? 

seaquam posted:

- 1989 Krug Champagne — deep gold, honey, roasted pear, ginger, extremely rich and smooth, long finish, must be in its prime; one of the 2 or 3 finest Champagnes I’ve been fortunate enough to drink; really hard to finish the last glass

- 1989 Chateau Malescot St. Exupéry (Margaux) — delicious cassis, basil leaf, black pepper, hints of mineral, silky, medium-long finish; not a powerhouse but harmonious and balanced; might still have a couple good years ahead of it

- 1989 Domaine Bourillon-Dorléans Vouvray Molleux Château-Chevrier — a Loire beauty, papaya, mango, pineapple, casaba melon, all swirling in a moderately sweet, lightweight mouthful of silky intensity, very long finish, very good acidity; killer with a raspberry financier cake

Just another wonderful evening enjoying a couple glasses of wine and some foodA3C1B4CB-C90B-495B-BE03-2D711FDAE0F8

with good friends...  😀

Thanks for the notes, Seaq.  I've always been a huge fan of the 1989 Krug.  Had several spirited conversations with w+a on the merits of the 1988  vs. 1989 Krugs.  He says 1988.  I say 1989.  Only one of us is correct.  Guess who?  

PH

purplehaze posted:
seaquam posted:

with good friends...  😀

Thanks for the notes, Seaq.  I've always been a huge fan of the 1989 Krug.  Had several spirited conversations with w+a on the merits of the 1988  vs. 1989 Krugs.  He says 1988.  I say 1989.  Only one of us is correct.  Guess who?  

PH

PH, I’ve had ‘89 Krug twice and it is awesome. However I’ve never had ‘88 Krug. I’ll have have to let you lads toss a coin to see which of you is right.

I’ve had ‘96 Krug 4 times now, and suspect that it may overshadow both of them in the next few years. 😀

Paul Dethune NV Brut Rose Grand Cru Champagne.  From an older bottling.  Mature and very tasty.  

1964 Dr. Perrin Barolo.  Very clear (LOTS of sediment left in the bottle).  Amber with a bit of red core.  Mainly tertiary notes with a hint of red fruit.  Good, not great. 

2012 Piantonaia - more advanced than I expected but delicious.  Opened up nicely.  

vincentric posted:

Paul Dethune NV Brut Rose Grand Cru Champagne.  From an older bottling.  Mature and very tasty.  

1964 Dr. Perrin Barolo.  Very clear (LOTS of sediment left in the bottle).  Amber with a bit of red core.  Mainly tertiary notes with a hint of red fruit.  Good, not great. 

2012 Piantonaia - more advanced than I expected but delicious.  Opened up nicely.  

I’ve always been a fan of the Dethune Rose. Glad to read it did well for you. 

2006 Copain Harrison Clarke Syrah from mag.  Opened to slow ox for about two hours and the first glass was underwhelming - lots of dark syrupy fruit and not much else.  Oh well.  Took the bottle outside while BGE'ing  dinner and moved on to something else.  An hour after the first glass we revisited it, and I dont know if it was the cooler temps outside (14-15C) or more air or both but it had transformed.  No more syrup, lots of savoury garrigue and roast meats with a nice saline note.  Would never pass for Rhone, but was a great example of what good cali syrah can do.  

2002 Vineland Estates Meritage Rosomel Vineyard Reserve

Recently rediscovered in a box tucked away in the back of my wine cellar.  Not earth-shattering, nor mind-blowing but a surprisingly palatable red wine from Niagara.  Don't see any bricking around the rim.  Tannins are fully resolved but the wine has structure and the fruit is still alive and well.  One of the best wines I have tasted from Niagara.  A nice surprise.

otw posted:

2002 Vineland Estates Meritage Rosomel Vineyard Reserve

Recently rediscovered in a box tucked away in the back of my wine cellar.  Not earth-shattering, nor mind-blowing but a surprisingly palatable red wine from Niagara.  Don't see any bricking around the rim.  Tannins are fully resolved but the wine has structure and the fruit is still alive and well.  One of the best wines I have tasted from Niagara.  A nice surprise.

I don’t have any specifics to share, but I recall enjoying the wines at Vineland when we visited a few years ago. A day or two after doing a tasting, we returned for a great 3 course lunch with pairings on their patio that juts into a vineyard.

Recently

2006 Querce Bettina, BdM

Outstanding. Glad I have a couple more. Drink or hold.

2014 Aalto, Ribera Del Duero

Excellent, but young, which I knew would be the case based on past experiences with Aalto. US$52 off a wine list was too tempting.

2015 Cecchi, Chianti Classico, Riserva di Famiglia

Just another delicious CC from the 2015 vintage and at CDN$24 an excellent QPR.

2017 Kumeu River, Chardonnay, Village

Very good, low wood chard.

sunnylea57 posted:
csm posted:

2004 vina tondonia Rioja blanco

Where'd you find the 2004, csm? I've only seen the '05 recently (which is what I bought).

EDIT: Question answered. I just read the "Greetings from..." thread. 

On the list at Kokotxa.  44 euro. 

csm posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
csm posted:

2004 vina tondonia Rioja blanco

Where'd you find the 2004, csm? I've only seen the '05 recently (which is what I bought).

EDIT: Question answered. I just read the "Greetings from..." thread. 

On the list at Kokotxa.  44 euro. 

The wine list there is incredibly reasonable (shhhhh ...).

Earlier this week, dinner with Italo Stupino, owner of Castello di Neive, my good friend Bill Hawrysh and Rubin Elmer, Italo's Ontario Agent. It is always a pleasure to spend time with the remarkable Italo Stupino. 2018 Roero Arneis: Lovely, fresh, bright white fruit, balanced, a medium weighted Arneis.

2016 Barbaresco - this showed bright red fruit and was delightful but does need time. My guess is that 2-3 years patience will be rewarded.

2016 Barbaresco Gallina - This was a bit darker, muted and had a bitter note on the finish. My guess is that it is a bit closed now and needs time.

2013 Barbaresco Santo Stefano - I preferred this to the Gallina. It seemed to be brighter and more accessible.

2013 Barbaresco Santo Stefano Riserva - The brightness of the fruit was noticeable vs the Santo Stefano. It seemed bigger, deeper, and more alive. YUM. WOTN.

The food at Carisma was great and paired well, the service was outstanding. Conversation was great and it was a wonderful evening on all counts. Boxes of the Arneis and the Riserva are heading my way!

Attachments

Photos (5)

Add Reply

Likes (0)