September 2018: What are you drinking?

2017 Bodegas Muga Rioja Rosado

2009 Domaine Pavelot (Jean-Marc et Hugues) Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Gravains

2008 Cliff Lede Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry

The Cliff Lede was dense, palate-staining, tannic and primary with concentrated raspberry and plum. 24 hours of air didn’t help. Come back in 10+ years. 

Original Post
steve8 posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2009 Domaine Pavelot (Jean-Marc et Hugues) Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Gravains

How was the Pavelot drinking Sunny? 

I thought Tanzer's TN from 2011 was still bang on. "Gamey reduction... large-scale and mouthfilling... dark cherry... soil overtones". Ripe but not cooked. 

Drinking very well now, especially after an hour or two of air, but there's no hurry. 

steve8 posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2004 Pontet-Canet 

You seem to be drinking wines I have singles of and have been eyeing recently. How was the PC?

This was a single for me, too. I gave it an hour or two in the decanter and it was very approachable right now, Steve, but there's no rush. Black currant, plum, liquorice, leather and some cocoa on the finish. Surprisingly lithe for a P-C, but the fine grain, slightly drying tannins give it weight and keep it serious.

Slowly returning to reality after two weeks living in the woods (featuring a guest appearance by Mangiare) and going through the empties it looks like we drank:

2014 Grange of PEC Bunny Wine (mag)

1998 Veritas Heysen Shiraz

2016 Jamsheed Harem Ma Petite Francine

2008 Veuve Ponsardin

2008 Copain James Berry Syrah (hot mess)

2013 COS Pithos Bianco

2004 Cloilde & Rene-Noel Legrande Samur Champigny La Chaintree

2012 Dominio di Bibei Ribiera Sacra Lalama

2015 Enfield Wine Co. Haynes Chardonnay (WOW - still blown away by this one)

2015 COS Nero di Lupo

2015 Domaine Rolet Arbois Poulsard VV

2014 Domaine Rolet Arbois Chardonnay

1997 Travaglini Gattinara Reserva (really good)

1998 Ornellaia (Stunning)

2007 Terre Nere Rosso Feudo di Mezzo il Quadro della rose (outstanding but still soooo young)

1999 Descendientes de J. Palacios Corullon

2001 Villa Fidelia Sportoletti

1990 Monsanto CC Il Poggio (Dead)

2015 Raventos i Blanc de Nit

???? Pearl Morissette Svetnat

2015 Altesino RdM

2015 Col d'Orcia RdM

2010 Querce Bettina RdM

1978 Produttori del barbaresco (tired, had hoped for more)

2006 Joseph Swan Syrah Great Oak Vineyard (cant hide the 14.7%)

2012 Eric Texier Vaison la Romaine

2015 Dirty & Rowdy Familiar Blanc

2014 Dirty & Rowdy Familiar Mouvedre

2009 Graham Beck Bowed Head Chenin Blanc

2015 Equipo Nazaos Niepoort Vino Blanco

2016 Pink Pound by Patrick Sullivan (outstanding rose)

1989 Conde de Valdemar Gran Reserva Rioja

Emilio Hidalgo El Tresillo Amontillado

2011 Lamoresca Sicilia rosso

2001 Ridge Zinfandel Dusi Ranch

and a few others i might have missed.  lots of peroni.  a few cohibas & partagas for good measure.

2007, 2012, and 2013 vintage of Andrew Geoffrey  Diamond mountain cab.  All three are drinking well and the 07 at age 11 is a stellar wine for current consumption.  This is a beautiful winery at 2000 feet at the top of Diamond mountain.  If you have never had any AG wines you should try them.   I am very happy to have this wine in my portfolio here in Kentucky.  Without a doubt one of the best cabs under $100 in Napa Valley.   This comment is based on me drinking many vintages, over several years rather than selling it. 

IW

Nothing special, with guests or as one, over last weekend and week...

2015 Volver Tarima hills...love this wine

2015 J. Drouhin, Pouilly-Vinzelles...solid

2016 La Ferme du Mont, CdR Blanc, meh

2016 Dom. Yohan Lardy, Beaujolais-villages, les bruyeres, blanc, first impressions were poor, but was much better with some artisan cheddar 

2x 2017 Cune rioja rosado, I was expecting a little more from this, my guests enjoyed, tho’.

probably open something Spanish tomorrow

2007 hundred acre summers way

2008 jadot Bonne marre

Nv fil bereche  ni forget

1986 l evangile

2005 kracher #1

The levangile needed some opening up but boy did it deliver after some air time. What an earthy pleasure.

The kracher was in a world of it's on. You could just smell that wine all night 

The surprise for me was the jadot.  What a lovely sexy berry note that linger on the palate and the finish. 

Friday night

2004 Marcarini, Barolo, Brunate (corked)

2004 Silvio Grasso, Barolo, Pi Vigne (underwhelming)

Last night with J3 and Impulse at the Pied du Courant tasting room with a big spread of charcuterie, cheese, smoked salmon, some salads and pizza.

2006 Agrapart, Champagne, Mineral

2001 Gunderloch, Riesling, Nackenheim Rothenberg Auslese

2003 Christian Moreau, Chablis, Les Blanchots GC

1997 Casanova di Neri, BdM, Cerretalto

2003 Jamet, Cote-Rotie

2010 Clos Rougeard, Saumur-Champigny, Les Poyeux

I think that was everything. All the wines last night showed really well except for the Chablis, which was a little flabby. The heat of the vintage? My first Rougeard and I really liked it. Class in a glass.

Thanks to Impulse for getting the tasting room and great to welcome J3 to Montreal.

Got together with some forumites to celebrate my arrival into adulthood (my 40th).  Fun night with a very diverse bunch of wines...

2009 Dom Perignon

2003 Raffault Chinon Clos des Capucins

2005 Hanzell Pinot Noir

1995 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva

2002 Torbeck The Factor

2008 Achaval Ferrer Finca Altamira

2012 La Rata

1978 Margaux

2004 Shafer Hillside

1993 Guigal La Mouline--judged by consumption, this was the wine of the night

1999 Baumard Quarts de Chaume

2005 Baumard Quarts de Chaume

All in all, a great night of drinking.  Fun contrast between the two syrahs and between the two cabernets. I also enjoyed trying a couple of wines that I rarely drink (the Chinon and the malbec).  

azwiese posted:

Got together with some forumites to celebrate my arrival into adulthood (my 40th).  Fun night with a very diverse bunch of wines...

2009 Dom Perignon

2003 Raffault Chinon Clos des Capucins

2005 Hanzell Pinot Noir

1995 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva

2002 Torbeck The Factor

2008 Achaval Ferrer Finca Altamira

2012 La Rata

1978 Margaux

2004 Shafer Hillside

1993 Guigal La Mouline--judged by consumption, this was the wine of the night

1999 Baumard Quarts de Chaume

2005 Baumard Quarts de Chaume

All in all, a great night of drinking.  Fun contrast between the two syrahs and between the two cabernets. I also enjoyed trying a couple of wines that I rarely drink (the Chinon and the malbec).  

Nice line-up. And of course, Happy Birthday!   

I'd be interested to hear your take on the 2 Baumards.

Add Reply

Likes (0)