First night of an extra-long weekend last night at the cottage:
2010 Ridge Estate Cab Sauv
2012 Sterling Vineyards Cab Sauv Napa Valley

The Ridge was as expected (very good). The Sterling was better than expected (hadn't expected much, and it was good).
Original Post
Last night at dinner with our friends who are visiting from Mexico:

N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve - June 2011 disgorgement that is drinking very nicely in its youth (paired beautifully with two dozen Shigoku oysters)
1993 Kalin Cellars Chardonnay Cuvée Le Darryl - oxidized
2007 Olivier Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet - oxidized
2008 Walter Hansel Winery Chardonnay The North Slope Vineyard - more heavy and butterscotchy than I was in the mood for last night, but much better than another recent bottle
2013 Ceritas Chardonnay Heintz Vineyard - brought me down off the ledge; love these wines
2013 Ceritas Pinot Noir Porter-Bass Vineyard - I wanted to give our friend Norberto his first Ceritas experience. This was drinking very well with an hour decant- very elegant with loads of bright cherry and lots of floral nuances. I have only two bottles left, but that's okay- TLV has plenty. Speaking of...

We were pleasantly surprised to see three quarters of the TLV clan walk in to the club. They joined us for cocktails before dinner and we all ended up in the same dining room so we also got to taste TLV's 2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast, which was drinking nicely as well, with plenty of darker fruit and cola.

TLV, did I miss anything?
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Last night at dinner with our friends who are visiting from Mexico:

N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve - June 2011 disgorgement that is drinking very nicely in its youth (paired beautifully with two dozen Shigoku oysters)
1993 Kalin Cellars Chardonnay Cuvée Le Darryl - oxidized
2007 Olivier Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet - oxidized
2008 Walter Hansel Winery Chardonnay The North Slope Vineyard - more heavy and butterscotchy than I was in the mood for last night, but much better than another recent bottle
2013 Ceritas Chardonnay Heintz Vineyard - brought me down off the ledge; love these wines
2013 Ceritas Pinot Noir Porter-Bass Vineyard - I wanted to give our friend Norberto his first Ceritas experience. This was drinking very well with an hour decant- very elegant with loads of bright cherry and lots of floral nuances. I have only two bottles left, but that's okay- TLV has plenty. Speaking of...

We were pleasantly surprised to see three quarters of the TLV clan walk in to the club. They joined us for cocktails before dinner and we all ended up in the same dining room so we also got to taste TLV's 2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast, which was drinking nicely as well, with plenty of darker fruit and cola.

TLV, did I miss anything?

We also opened a 2012 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Golden Slope and a NV Guiborat Fils Champagne Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru, but I don't know if any of those made it over to your table.
Some clean and crisp whites lately to beat the heat:

2014 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica - Love a good Verdicchio and this was a good one. Great pairing with fresh pasta with prawns, lemon, parsley and evoo.

2013 Lieu Dit Sauvignon Blanc - I don't drink a lot of SB (especially from CA), but this is one of the best I've had. Wonderful pairing with herbed goat cheese and baguette.
Thu. night

- 2011 Vignerons de Buxy Montagny Buissonnier
- 2010 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Vaulorent

These 2 wines had some obvious similarities, lots of green apple and citrus, with the more acidic Chablis adding mineral while the Montagny had slightly riper fruit. Both are about the same level of intensity and quality. At almost half the cost, the Montagny is a real bargain and well worth seeking out.

Last night

- 2007 St. Cosme Gigondas Valbelle -- still dark, sweet floral nose, with ripe and delicious berry and plum flavours, some mineral, and a very long finish with some fine tannins still present; outstanding Gigondas,and should show even better in a couple of years
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

- 2007 St. Cosme Gigondas Valbelle -- still dark, sweet floral nose, with ripe and delicious berry and plum flavours, some mineral, and a very long finish with some fine tannins still present; outstanding Gigondas,and should show even better in a couple of years

I'm a big fan of Valbelles. Haven't had too many, but everyone has been outstanding. Thanks for the note.
Last night with Mimik, KSC02 and our better halves.

2009 Neely, Chardonnay, Holly's Cuvee
2000 Chateau Laville Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan (white)
2012 Perrin Family, Vinsobres, Les Cornuds
1999 Siro Pacenti, BdM
2004 Antinori, IGT, Tignanello
2005 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe, CdP
2005 Domaine du Petit Metris, Chaume, Les Tetueres

Everything drank really well, except the LHB which shows more oxidation each time I try a bottle. This wine is declining pretty rapidly.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2000 Chateau Laville Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan (white)

Everything drank really well, except the LHB which shows more oxidation each time I try a bottle. This wine is declining pretty rapidly.

Very disappointed in this bottle which showed severaly oxidized IMO. The early bottles where sooo much better and, while there was variability with the case I once owned, I'm glad that this was my last bottle. I dumped what was in my glass.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
2009 Neely, Chardonnay, Holly's Cuvee
1999 Siro Pacenti, BdM

An excellent evening with everyone. My WsOTN were those above. My first Neely Chard, it showed very well.

The 2004 Tig is really good. JAR opened the first one I had. ( I had stopped buying) I went out and bought 4 the next day.

Glad to hear it is showing well.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

An excellent evening with everyone. My WsOTN were those above.

The 2004 Tig is really good. JAR opened the first one I had. ( I had stopped buying) I went out and bought 4 the next day.

Glad to hear it is showing well.

I've stopped buying as well, w+a, after experiencing too much bottle variation with this producer. But, if the '04 vintage is consistant, it may be one of their very finest.
At various restaurants in NYC last week:

NV Egly Ouriet Blanc de Noirs Les Crayères
2012 Hanzell Chardonnay
2011 Kongsgaard Chardonnay The Judge
2010 Kepslinger Red Slope Knights Valley Grenache
2010 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard
2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard
2008 Blankiet Rive Droite Paradise Hills Vineyard
2006 Kapcsandy Estate Cuvée State Lane Vineyard
2007 Robert Keenan Cabernet Franc Spring Mountain
2008 Rhys Syrah Skyline Vineyard
2008 Lillian California Syrah

My wine-of-the-week was decidedly the Lillian Syrah. First time I've tasted anything from this producer and I was impressed.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
At various restaurants in NYC last week:

NV Egly Ouriet Blanc de Noirs Les Crayères
2012 Hanzell Chardonnay
2011 Kongsgaard Chardonnay The Judge
2010 Kepslinger Red Slope Knights Valley Grenache
2010 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard
2010 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard
2008 Blankiet Rive Droite Paradise Hills Vineyard
2006 Kapcsandy Estate Cuvée State Lane Vineyard
2007 Robert Keenan Cabernet Franc Spring Mountain
2008 Rhys Syrah Skyline Vineyard
2008 Lillian California Syrah

My wine-of-the-week was decidedly the Lillian Syrah. First time I've tasted anything from this producer and I was impressed.

Thoughts on the Hanzell and the Keplinger? TIA
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
2014 Domaine de la Mordoree CdR Rose.

Nice, Bill!

We got to visit this winery in May. A great hour plus, tour and tasting. We like the Tavel a bit more, but this was quite tasty tonight.

Add Reply

Likes (0)