Sediment on young pinot noir-Flaw?

I opened today a bottle of a 2009 Oregon Pinot Noir. I am reserving the winery name but it is a WV appellation that retails for around $20. There was excessive sediment (in my opinion) totaling about 1/2 a tablespoon. The wine was not bad,a bit tart but it was enjoyable. Nevertheless the excessive sediment caught my attention. I understand unfiltered wines and the desire to have little to no manipulation, but for the winemakers out there and knowledgeable forumites, is this common? Or Is this a winemaking flaw? Anybody else have experience with significant sediment on such a young pinot noir?
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

I am reserving the winery name but it is a WV

Why? Confused

The more information, the better forum members may give specific details.

I don't know, don't want to "flame" the winery in case it is poor winemaking. In any case, it is Lange. There was a lot of "crusty" like sediment (as opposed to fine sediment). I have a few of the same year reserve and I wonder if I'll experience the same. Just weird on such a young pinot.
IMO, there should be even more wines with sediment. There's no good reason really to do enough fining and filtering to the extent that it would remove sediment. The only reason for a lot of that stuff, even stabilization, is because the consumer public doesn't understand or tolerate sediment, tartrate crystals, etc. in their wine. It's too bad though, because there's a lot more that gets removed than just sediment.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
It is not that i can't stand sediment but it was unexpected. The winery perhaps would benefit by putting "unfiltered and unfined" in the label. The wine was enjoyable. My question was more curiosity.

kistler chards throw sediment.

dunno i think it's really one of those does it really matter scenarios if the wine taste good?

There have been wines where i've seen them go under heat dmg where the sediment really clumps and the wine is brown. But hopefully that's not hte case

Add Reply

Likes (0)