Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Why do we still use Roman numerals? Movies are made in MMXVIII. I've never seen a bottle of wine with the vintage in Roman numerals, at least I can't recall one.

Lapierre makes a 'reserve' Morgon in good vintages; that bottling has the vintage on the label in Roman numerals only. I still have a couple bottles of the MMIX.

It's rare for sure. I'm not even certain whether most North American schools still teach Roman numerals to kids.

Heck, Seaquam, with the advent of computers, a lot of them don't even teach cursive writing anymore.

Not so bad with cursive is that they can’t tell time with an analog watch or do math in their heads
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:

quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

This is why I keep living where my face hurts in winter. Wink

Ditto.

There's a punchline in there somewhere. Probably more than one......

Here’s the reference Bob.

Link

I'd seen that on my Facebook wall but I referring to there being a joke linking your faces and the pain they cause..... ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by bhauk:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.

Rattlesnakes aren't necessarily dangerous. And dumping one over a fence doesn't guarantee that it won't return. Snakes are pretty creative in choosing where they hang out. And if your snake found your yard a good place to hang out, another one or seven might just show up in his place.

Make sure your yard is extremely tidy and free of anything that could support a rodent population (the most common reason snakes hang out anywhere). Woodpiles, underbrush etc...

There are also some reasonably safe snake repellents that can be used in a last case scenario. Please don't get close to any venomous snake unless you know what you're doing. A nick from a fang can be very troublesome, especially if you have any kind of allergy to snake venom.

Spoken by someone with a little first hand knowledge.

PH

A spade works fine as well. Also rattlesnake is delicious and a little borax on the skin makes for a fine pair of boots.

I was thinking a 12-gauge would do the trick. Perhaps I'm not as kind-hearted as some of the other posters here when it comes to venomous reptiles. Frown

Well... the shotgun would likely preclude your opportunitiy to eat the snake or make some boots!

Again, the issue with venomous snakes isn't the one you see. It's whether your property/environment is conducive for you to run into one that you don't see.

PH

Shovel works, right behind the head.
No doubt this is a better alternative for either stew or boots. Cool The problem with the shovel is that it puts you within an uncomfortable distance to a potentially lethal animal.

A long handled pool net is a reasonable alternative, but doesn't work for larger snakes. If you're bound and determined to kill the snake, a long handled hoe is a safer alternative. Or a shotgun.

I was shown an easy snake catching tool by our gardener in Jakarta many years ago. It allowed me to capture and release a bunch of intruders in our back yard over the years.

Take a 5-6 foot long x 1" or a little wider piece of PVC tubing. Take some rope and double it over so that the length of the doubled rope allows for a few feet to extend on both ends of the PVC.

Push the folded end of the doubled rope through the PVC out the far end, creating a noose.

Grab the reptile with the noose as close to the head as you can (as long as you're anywhere close to the head you're good) and pull the loose ends on your end of the PVC to capture the snake. Pull hard enough to make sure the snake is snugly fixed to the end of the tube. Don't worry, it's unlikely you'll injure the critter.

Place the snake where you want to release it and push the rope forward to release.

PH
For the life of me. I can hear Rodney Dangerfield telling a joke in my head. Yet I can find no record of him ever saying it. Did I make it up or am I just overlooking something?

“My wife, she’s a real looker. People say she looks like a painting... A Picasso.”
something got screwed up when trying to change my email address and login information for the new changes, so I have a new name (was Thistlin Tom).

I mostly walk when I golf, and I cut through natural areas. There seem to be an abundance of rattlesnakes this year so I have seen several while walking. They aren't aggressive, but the concern is surprising them and not realizing they are there.

As for getting rid of the one in our yard, my big concern was having it in the backyard somewhere and letting my dog out at night to do her business. I didn't want her to get bit due to curiosity and have to pay thousands of dollars for anti venom shot.

The pool net worked great, so that is what I will use if confronted with the same problem.
quote:
Originally posted by TomG:
something got screwed up when trying to change my email address and login information for the new changes, so I have a new name (was Thistlin Tom).

I mostly walk when I golf, and I cut through natural areas. There seem to be an abundance of rattlesnakes this year so I have seen several while walking. They aren't aggressive, but the concern is surprising them and not realizing they are there.

As for getting rid of the one in our yard, my big concern was having it in the backyard somewhere and letting my dog out at night to do her business. I didn't want her to get bit due to curiosity and have to pay thousands of dollars for anti venom shot.

The pool net worked great, so that is what I will use if confronted with the same problem.

Hello Newbie welcome to the boards!!
quote:
Originally posted by TomG:

Is there also an abundance of thistles in these natural areas through which you walk?
bman posted:
winetarelli posted:

Bman. How did you emoticon?

There's a little emoticon icon at the bottom of the page.

Gotta say I'm not crazy about this new look and sad to see the post count has vanished.

Post count is there. Hover over (or if you're on mobile - click on) the user name above their post. Their "points" = their post count.

winetarelli posted:

Emoticons are in the toolbar about the box where you enter your post. If you're on mobile, that toolbar only appears when you have your phone in horizontal format. If you're in vertical, you won't see it. Rotate your phone.

The toolbar also includes bold, italics, the ability to insert images (that are already hosted elsewhere online), text colour, background colour, bullets, numbered lists, and a whole lot more.  

You can even edit the raw HTML. 

sunnylea57 posted:
bman posted:
winetarelli posted:

There's a little emoticon icon at the bottom of the page.

Gotta say I'm not crazy about this new look and sad to see the post count has vanished.

Post count is there. Hover over (or if you're on mobile - click on) the user name above their post. Their "points" = their post count.

I suppose that's better than nothing but what's the point of having thousands of posts if you can't see that every time you post, and so you can't feel superior to those with fewer posts?  I mean, really??!!

wineart 2 posted:

Sorry, but this format just sucks.

Robert has explained on a thread dedicated to the new platform that the coming into force of new European legislation made it necessary to change platforms, and not possible to beta test.  But he's working on improvements so you may wish to suggest them there.

wish the most post recent was at the top.

Working my way thru the new stuff, and discovering new every day.  Guess I'll survive

The format could be tighter.  Not saying I like the WB Boards, but the software is better organized.

Yes we also need to thank Robert T and crew for the site and the work they are doing on it,

flwino posted:

Yes we also need to thank Robert T and crew for the site and the work they are doing on it,

Agree completely on this point.  I very much appreciate this free forum of fellow travelers! 

I had the pleasure of getting to know Robert a bit over an evening in a wine bar  - with Tbird! - and he is a very good guy.  So let's keep the criticism constructive!

bman posted:
flwino posted:

Agree completely on this point.  I very much appreciate this free forum of fellow travelers! 

I had the pleasure of getting to know Robert a bit over an evening in a wine bar  - with Tbird! - and he is a very good guy.  So let's keep the criticism constructive!

+1

Add Reply

Likes (0)