quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Yanny. Definitely Yanny.

LAUREL!


Really? I saw this nonsense today and you could not even try to hear Laurel out of that. It is undeniably yanny!
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
There are few things on earth I find less interesting than a royal wedding.


+ 1,000,000 <yawn>

I am amazed at how many Americans, particularly American women are totally mesmerized by this.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
There are few things on earth I find less interesting than a royal wedding.


+ 1,000,000 <yawn>

I am amazed at how many Americans, particularly American women are totally mesmerized by this.

PH


Agree completely. Why such a fascination exists with the wedding of people whose only significance is the luck of the draw is beyond me.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
There are few things on earth I find less interesting than a royal wedding.


+ 1,000,000 <yawn>

I am amazed at how many Americans, particularly American women are totally mesmerized by this.

PH

Boggles the mind!
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
There are few things on earth I find less interesting than a royal wedding.


+ 1,000,000 <yawn>

I am amazed at how many Americans, particularly American women are totally mesmerized by this.

PH

Boggles the mind!

Agreed.
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.

This is why I keep living where my face hurts in winter. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
It is the audio from Dictionary.com on how to pronounce Laurel so I'd say that's what it sounds like.


Ok...thanks. Went to dictionary.com to listen, sounds nothing like yanny!
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.


Rattlesnakes aren't necessarily dangerous. And dumping one over a fence doesn't guarantee that it won't return. Snakes are pretty creative in choosing where they hang out. And if your snake found your yard a good place to hang out, another one or seven might just show up in his place.

Make sure your yard is extremely tidy and free of anything that could support a rodent population (the most common reason snakes hang out anywhere). Woodpiles, underbrush etc...

There are also some reasonably safe snake repellents that can be used in a last case scenario. Please don't get close to any venomous snake unless you know what you're doing. A nick from a fang can be very troublesome, especially if you have any kind of allergy to snake venom.

Spoken by someone with a little first hand knowledge.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.

This is why I keep living where my face hurts in winter. Wink


Ditto.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.


Rattlesnakes aren't necessarily dangerous. And dumping one over a fence doesn't guarantee that it won't return. Snakes are pretty creative in choosing where they hang out. And if your snake found your yard a good place to hang out, another one or seven might just show up in his place.

Make sure your yard is extremely tidy and free of anything that could support a rodent population (the most common reason snakes hang out anywhere). Woodpiles, underbrush etc...

There are also some reasonably safe snake repellents that can be used in a last case scenario. Please don't get close to any venomous snake unless you know what you're doing. A nick from a fang can be very troublesome, especially if you have any kind of allergy to snake venom.

Spoken by someone with a little first hand knowledge.

PH


A spade works fine as well. Also rattlesnake is delicious and a little borax on the skin makes for a fine pair of boots.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.

Over the fence into a neighbor's yard? Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.


I always use the pool net. Works like a charm every time and naturally keeps you a safe distance away while picking it up.
Yes, I don't like my neighbor very much Wink

Actually, we are on a golf course and the back yard is behind one of the greens with an open area between our house and the green. We see Javelinas and Coyotes in the back area along with other creatures.

I tried to get the snake to go outside the fence with a water hose, he climbed up in a bush. I caught him with the pool net which does provide a safe distance from the snake and dumped it out back. Interestingly, the snake never rattled much even with all the spraying and prodding I did.

I think he just wandered into our yard and had a little difficulty getting out, so I helped him. I really wanted him out of our yard as we have a dog who goes outside there and I didn't want her getting bit by the snake.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Rattlesnakes aren't necessarily dangerous


Perfectly true. Unless, of course, they bite you.


Yeah... same holds true for horses, mice, monkeys, elephants and mosquitos. Wink

PH
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
Yes, I don't like my neighbor very much Wink

Interestingly, the snake never rattled much even with all the spraying and prodding I did.


Rattlesnakes use their rattle to say, "Hey, I'm here and I'm not someone you want to f___ with.

By the time you hit him with the hose, that moment had passed and he was in total defensive mode.

Snakes, unless hunting or being attacked, are very shy and non aggressive animals. Glad to hear that there was a happy ending to the story for you and the snake.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:


Snakes, unless hunting or being attacked, are very shy and non aggressive animals.


Agree. They don’t even like to be seen other than needing the sun.

We have a pond/ water feature across from our house and had an issue when we first moved in sometimes. Our landscape crew cut all of our shrubs off the ground three feet high and maintain that height. We have not seen a snake in our yard since. They have no place to hide anymore.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
They have no place to hide anymore.


Bingo. If there is no cover or no regular source of food they have no reason to hang around.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by bhauk:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.


Rattlesnakes aren't necessarily dangerous. And dumping one over a fence doesn't guarantee that it won't return. Snakes are pretty creative in choosing where they hang out. And if your snake found your yard a good place to hang out, another one or seven might just show up in his place.

Make sure your yard is extremely tidy and free of anything that could support a rodent population (the most common reason snakes hang out anywhere). Woodpiles, underbrush etc...

There are also some reasonably safe snake repellents that can be used in a last case scenario. Please don't get close to any venomous snake unless you know what you're doing. A nick from a fang can be very troublesome, especially if you have any kind of allergy to snake venom.

Spoken by someone with a little first hand knowledge.

PH


A spade works fine as well. Also rattlesnake is delicious and a little borax on the skin makes for a fine pair of boots.

I was thinking a 12-gauge would do the trick. Perhaps I'm not as kind-hearted as some of the other posters here when it comes to venomous reptiles. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by bhauk:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I spent over an hour getting a rattlesnake out of our yard. Prodded and sprayed with water to try to get it out under the fence, finally used the pool net to catch it and dump it over the fence. I hope I pissed it off and it never returns.


Rattlesnakes aren't necessarily dangerous. And dumping one over a fence doesn't guarantee that it won't return. Snakes are pretty creative in choosing where they hang out. And if your snake found your yard a good place to hang out, another one or seven might just show up in his place.

Make sure your yard is extremely tidy and free of anything that could support a rodent population (the most common reason snakes hang out anywhere). Woodpiles, underbrush etc...

There are also some reasonably safe snake repellents that can be used in a last case scenario. Please don't get close to any venomous snake unless you know what you're doing. A nick from a fang can be very troublesome, especially if you have any kind of allergy to snake venom.

Spoken by someone with a little first hand knowledge.

PH


A spade works fine as well. Also rattlesnake is delicious and a little borax on the skin makes for a fine pair of boots.

I was thinking a 12-gauge would do the trick. Perhaps I'm not as kind-hearted as some of the other posters here when it comes to venomous reptiles. Frown


Well... the shotgun would likely preclude your opportunitiy to eat the snake or make some boots!

Again, the issue with venomous snakes isn't the one you see. It's whether your property/environment is conducive for you to run into one that you don't see.

PH
[/QUOTE]

Bingo. If there is no cover or no regular source of food they have no reason to hang around.

PH[/QUOTE]

Kind of like most unwanted guests... Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:

quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

This is why I keep living where my face hurts in winter. Wink


Ditto.


There's a punchline in there somewhere. Probably more than one......
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:

quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

This is why I keep living where my face hurts in winter. Wink


Ditto.


There's a punchline in there somewhere. Probably more than one......


Here’s the reference Bob.

Link
Why do we still use Roman numerals? Movies are made in MMXVIII. I've never seen a bottle of wine with the vintage in Roman numerals, at least I can't recall one.
The next Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl LIII."

Can you imagine going into a store and asking the cashier if he has change for an X?
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Why do we still use Roman numerals? Movies are made in MMXVIII. I've never seen a bottle of wine with the vintage in Roman numerals, at least I can't recall one.




Lapierre makes a 'reserve' Morgon in good vintages; that bottling has the vintage on the label in Roman numerals only. I still have a couple bottles of the MMIX.

It's rare for sure. I'm not even certain whether most North American schools still teach Roman numerals to kids.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Why do we still use Roman numerals?


Well, they're useful in crossword puzzles when the constructor can't come up with real words.

Other than that, I have no clue.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Why do we still use Roman numerals? Movies are made in MMXVIII. I've never seen a bottle of wine with the vintage in Roman numerals, at least I can't recall one.



Lapierre makes a 'reserve' Morgon in good vintages; that bottling has the vintage on the label in Roman numerals only. I still have a couple bottles of the MMIX.

It's rare for sure. I'm not even certain whether most North American schools still teach Roman numerals to kids.

Heck, Seaquam, with the advent of computers, a lot of them don't even teach cursive writing anymore.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×