Skip to main content

I'm beginning to think this is going to be a good major moment for the young people in America (I'm assuming the great majority out there are between 18 to 40 or so). As I said, in an earlier post, I think 5% of the people out there have no other purpose than to destroy and steal. Perhaps another few percent are people who didn't start by looting or destroying but got into it after it started. As the police get the control they should have had earlier (It's not like it's a secret that LA has experienced the worse riot in the late 20th century.) In addition, even I know where the hottest clothing and shoe stores are. in LA. Dolls Kill is right by Canters. It wasn't a surprise what areas they hit.

The remainder, the vast majority, are young people who are trying to make a difference. I think the last time we had impassioned protests across the country was in the Vietnam era. I find it a hopeful thing. Let's not mix up wanting destruction to take place with using our first amendment rights. Perhaps this is the moment, like what happened with Vietnam protests, that may help lead to a better future.

Who would have thought that Millennials would be the first generation after the hippies to finally step up for major change?

It is the right of Americans to peacefully protest, not withstanding the would-be dictator (and religious leader) in the White House.

Last edited by The Old Man
@winetarelli posted:

FWIW: Trump is a malignant narcissist.  The modern most well known historical equivalent would be Saddam Hussein.  Adolf Hitler had many aspects difficult to identify, but despite his charisma, his overriding psychological trait was necrophilia — he was a lover of death and destruction. Different types of sociopaths. 

I think he's closer to Mussolini, however Mussolini was a newspaper editor, a writer, an intellectual and he fought in the trenches in WW I. Our would-be dictator is of course a coward with a vocabulary consisting of about three adjectives and the inability to string together two coherent sentences in a row. But he's sure got the Il Duce mugging face down cold.

@napacat posted:

Why don’t you really think why that is for yourself. And don’t try to be politically correct.

If you think that minorities (or women, for that matter) get the same justice as white men, then there's really no helping you. 

And for what it's worth, being politically correct isn't a bad thing. It's simply not being an a-hole to people who are different than you because of their differences. Is it really so hard? But I suppose you want to go back to the good ole days of when America was "great" so you don't have to be thoughtful of other people and their feelings.   

From Nixon's '68 inaugural speech. Striking, with the space launch and riots in the news:

"We find ourselves rich in goods but ragged in spirit, reaching with magnificent precision for the moon but falling into raucous discord on earth. We are caught in war, wanting peace. We're torn by division, wanting unity."

Here is LBJ, speaking in the summer of 1965 following riots in a variety of places:

“Not even the sternest police action nor the most effective federal troops can ever create lasting peace in our cities. The only genuine long-range solution for what has happened, lies in an attack, mounted at every level, upon the conditions that breed despair and breed violence.
All of us, I think, know what those conditions are: ignorance,
discrimination, slums, poverty, disease, not enough jobs. We should
attack these conditions — not because we are frightened by conflict,
but because we are fired by conscience. We should attack them because
there is simply no other way to achieve a decent and orderly society in
America.”

Here is the current President, tweeting:

“when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

Is it November yet?

@irwin posted:

From Nixon's '68 inaugural speech. Striking, with the space launch and riots in the news:

"We find ourselves rich in goods but ragged in spirit, reaching with magnificent precision for the moon but falling into raucous discord on earth. We are caught in war, wanting peace. We're torn by division, wanting unity."

Here is LBJ, speaking in the summer of 1965 following riots in a variety of places:

“Not even the sternest police action nor the most effective federal troops can ever create lasting peace in our cities. The only genuine long-range solution for what has happened, lies in an attack, mounted at every level, upon the conditions that breed despair and breed violence.
All of us, I think, know what those conditions are: ignorance,
discrimination, slums, poverty, disease, not enough jobs. We should
attack these conditions — not because we are frightened by conflict,
but because we are fired by conscience. We should attack them because
there is simply no other way to achieve a decent and orderly society in
America.”

Here is the current President, tweeting:

“when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

Is it November yet?

Irwin, post quotes from presidents and any low IQ person could pick out which is from the current reality TV fraud and conman. When a person has no intellectual depth, is completely devoid of empathy, is clearly a racist, a fake Christian, has zero absolutes other than himself and a vocabulary of an 8th grader his lack of articulation will standout from all other presidents. 

Clinton, which is someone I have never liked or trusted is the only reason we have this buffoon and cancer in office in my opinion. 

@The Old Man posted:

I think he's closer to Mussolini, however Mussolini was a newspaper editor, a writer, an intellectual and he fought in the trenches in WW I. Our would-be dictator is of course a coward with a vocabulary consisting of about three adjectives and the inability to string together two coherent sentences in a row. But he's sure got the Il Duce mugging face down cold.

I like the Mussolini comparison. 

Trump would LOVE to put on a military uniform and have his chest covered by metals. He is such a fraud. 

@g-man posted:

Nice, I'll put on the watch list for tonight (pun intended) =P

... and pun caught!

while I own dozens of watches, I have never pulled the trigger on a GS, but it isn’t due to lack of respect. A friend of mine in my watch club owns several which he has brought to offlines. 

At a RedBar Group offline I attended there was a PP employee in attendance once. He pulled out his loupe and examined several GS watches. He said he had to admit the finishes for GS had nothing on PP. I have found that GS is a timepiece that never shows as well in photos as they do in person. 

@wine+art posted:

... and pun caught!

while I own dozens of watches, I have never pulled the trigger on a GS, but it isn’t due to lack of respect. A friend of mine in my watch club owns several which he has brought to offlines. 

At a RedBar Group offline I attended there was a PP employee in attendance once. He pulled out his loupe and examined several GS watches. He said he had to admit the finishes for GS had nothing on PP. I have found that GS is a timepiece that never shows as well in photos as they do in person. 

Dont undersell GS 's spring drive accuracy. One of the most accurate mechanical watches in the world and certainly for the price range

@doubled posted:

1) Mattis said it wasn't appropriate for him to comment on a sitting president, and 2) how do you know he didn't speak up? Why do you think he resigned?

Great read by the way.

1) He worked for a president who has acted inappropriately since his first day in office. I think we can bend the rules a little bit in this age of a dishonorable presidency. I'm guessing he was more than a little shocked during his time.

2) Publicly. Not happy at work?

"Great read by the way."

I heard most of what he said today by excerpts read on TV. Knowing more doesn't change anything that I was thinking. I have more respect for Mark Esper (kind of.)

@The Old Man posted:

1) He worked for a president who has acted inappropriately since his first day in office. I think we can bend the rules a little bit in this age of a dishonorable presidency. I'm guessing he was more than a little shocked during his time.

2) Publicly. Not happy at work?

"Great read by the way."

I heard most of what he said today by excerpts read on TV. Knowing more doesn't change anything that I was thinking. I have more respect for Mark Esper (kind of.)

the article i linked literally has his entire response.  Why pull a napacat and not read the transcript??

@g-man posted:

the article i linked literally has his entire response.  Why pull a napacat and not read the transcript??

That's not fair! You have to have a bowl of mush for brains, or be a fellow racist and bigot, to support the president after seeing his response to both the pandemic and now this moment of racial truth.

I'll read it but I don't expect that to change much of what I thought. You know I think there is a lot of this kind of talk going on among a number of Republican politicians and Trump's staff but they all bend the knee. It's very rare they speak up while they are still a part of the court.

@The Old Man posted:

That's not fair! You have to have a bowl of mush for brains, or be a fellow racist and bigot, to support the president after seeing his response to both the pandemic and now this moment of racial truth.

I'll read it but I don't expect that to change much of what I thought. You know I think there is a lot of this kind of talk going on among a number of Republican politicians and Trump's staff but they all bend the knee. It's very rare they speak up while they are still a part of the court.

Let's see what happens to Esper after his comments today. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.