@napacat posted:

What a great sight to see the launch today.  America back in space.  Pretty awesome.

Hasn't America been in space since the 60s?  

During my life there's been a number of major riots. I vaguely remember the original Watts Riot of 1965, said to be the first urban riot. Martin Luther King riots which resemble more closely this outbreak of pockets across the US, the Democratic Convention's "police riot" and I think the worst of all, the Rodney King verdict riots in 1992. My mother and stepfather lived in LA and I would be up there at least once a month plus my business took me there regularly before, and then after to survey the damage to stores I supplied. It was truly horrible with I think something like 60 people dead. All I could remember during the time was doesn't someone have a plan in the police department? This one has the potential to turn into the worst.

Right now I'm watching a store in LA getting looted by people of all races, creeds and colors. Finally America's coming together on something! It is so hard to believe how unprepared Los Angeles was for this. Especially with almost everyone in city government  being there during the 1992 riots. The National Guard is apparently arriving at midnight. I just can't believe they weren't pre-staged.

And during these times a number of Americans brought us not only a racist and a bigot, but the worst and most incompetent president in modern history. Just in time to take on a pandemic, by denying, and foot-dragging and offering insane medical advice. And to address issues of race and justice for which he  has no standing or credibility. Big boo boo.

Last edited by The Old Man
@doubled posted:

Trumpers like to self-congratulate on non-achievements.

You really find a need to make a non-political statement political? Self-congratulating and a non-achievement....what a moronic statement.  

Go join the rioters for a more achievable and self-congratulating experience.

“Americans back in space”. Only an idiot would make it a highlight for their day.  Scott Kelly spent two years in space, returning in 2016.  That’s noteworthy.

Americans creating a vaccine would be noteworthy.  Having a test available to all Americans would be noteworthy.

@napacat posted:

You really find a need to make a non-political statement political? Self-congratulating and a non-achievement....what a moronic statement.  

Go join the rioters for a more achievable and self-congratulating experience.

I doubt you know what a moronic statement is.  Here are a few examples in the last couple of months:

“It’s a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something we have tremendous control of.”

“I always treated the Chinese Virus very seriously.”

“A drug called Chloroquine … is showing very, very encouraging early results, and we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately, and that’s where the FDA has been so great, they’ve gone through the approval process, and it’s been approved.”

Last edited by doubled

"They [MAGA people] love African-American people, they love black people."

So MAGA is separate from black people. Finally got that cleared up. One day they'll be a book of all the lies and outrages perpetrated by this little man; it will weigh about 20 pounds.

@bomba503 posted:

I always thought Musk was South African 

And Canadian since birth. American only since 2002. Girlfriend and baby are Canadian too. 

@bman posted:

And Canadian since birth. American only since 2002. Girlfriend and baby are Canadian too. 

I thought he moved from South Africa to Canada as a teenager. 

Good for him, I suppose, for having citizenship in three countries (and presumably holds 3 passports).  My wife tried to keep both her Taiwan and Japan passports when she obtained US citizenship, but was forced to give up one of them.

@haggis posted:

Good for him, I suppose, for having citizenship in three countries (and presumably holds 3 passports).  My wife tried to keep both her Taiwan and Japan passports when she obtained US citizenship, but was forced to give up one of them.

I believe he came to Canada to go to university. His mother is Canadian. 

@haggis posted:

Is there an explicit prohibition on holding 3 passports?  Or was there some other de facto reason?

Last edited by winetarelli

I liked Musk even more when he told Newsom and CA to stick it about opening up his Fremont plant. He basically told them he'd move his plant to NV or TX if he couldn't open up, despite Covid-19 measures enacted to prohibit him. Newsom and the state quickly backed down.

So sad to see Nancy Silverton's Mozza 2 Go get torched. It was being used as a food outlet for out of work restaurant crews. I just find it hard to believe how poor the response in LA was yesterday. I'd have thought they learned something from 1992.

Although I get the anger, I just don't get some of the indiscriminate destruction that most often benefit the community.  

@doubled posted:

Although I get the anger, I just don't get some of the indiscriminate destruction that most often benefit the community.  

At least 50% of the people doing the rioting (perhaps 5% of all the people on the streets) I'm guessing, are people simply looting and having fun destroying things. They have absolutely no interest in the issues. The protests act as their cover.

(Re-edited for clarity.)

@The Old Man posted:

At least 50%, I'm guessing, are people simply looting and having fun destroying things. The protests act as their cover. 

I don't think it's 50% or even close. There are thousands of protesters but no indication there are thousands of looters or violent protesters. If you've got evidence that it's as high as 50% please share. 

@bman posted:

I don't think it's 50% or even close. There are thousands of protesters but no indication there are thousands of looters or violent protesters. If you've got evidence that it's as high as 50% please share. 

yea i'd be shocked if it was high as 50% .

This is probably more the msm just focusing on the looting aspects.  Some of these crowds that are peacefully p rotesting, ie in NYC are pretty enormous.

@bman posted:

I wasn't saying it was 50% of the protesters. I was saying it was the percent of rioters who have no interest in protesting at all. I'm guessing around 5% of the crowd consists of people who are there solely for destructive purposes. 

@doubled posted:

“Americans back in space”. Only an idiot would make it a highlight for their day.  Scott Kelly spent two years in space, returning in 2016.  That’s noteworthy.

From a launch on American soil with an American space ship.  You very well know what I meant...

Just a disgusting display across the country...when 99% of us agree the killing was wrong and certainly murder.  Time to show some real force and end this.

funny how someone can post online about being a strong man when safely hidden in a bunker away from it all.  #bunkerboy

@g-man posted:

funny how someone can post online about being a strong man when safely hidden in a bunker away from it all.  #bunkerboy

He literally shut the lights off outside the White House last night and went and hid.  Shocking from Private Bone Spurs, I know.

@napacat posted:

Just a disgusting display across the country...when 99% of us agree the killing was wrong and certainly murder.  Time to show some real force and end this.

Show love.   Hate breeds hate, Love cures hate.  Using words of MLK. Using full law will enable the love. 

@napacat posted:

‘Time to show some real force and end this’?  What exactly does that mean? 

The looting has gotten to the point where the mayors and governors of these states have got to grow some balls and put some real teeth into stopping it. Our mayor in Sacramento promised things would be different last night after rampant looting on Sat. Nothiing changed as more businesses (liquor stores, jewelry stores, Macy's, and many others were trashed.) Almost makes me wonder if these officials are protecting their constituents who are doing this damage in the memory of George Floyd.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.