Skip to main content

@irwin posted:
We can’t get voter registration laws passed, we can’t take any effective climate change action, we can’t stop the 300+ murders per year in Baltimore, or the many other murders elsewhere.
We can’t get people to accept the science relating to vaccines.  But, here is an important action by our federal government.
French dressing is no longer a regulated product name--

noice!

remember how fast freedom fries passed?

that said typical of democracies.  cant focus on one topic.  hard enough to get 5 people to agree on something, let alone 180 million

I participate in a weekly trivia night at my local pub. A couple weeks ago, one of the rounds was a sheet of paper with 16 "Greatest Hits" album covers pictured, minus the names of the artist or band. They weren't easy, but my team correctly answered 13 out of 16. Far a lark, I thought I'd take it into work and see if my (mostly Gen-Z) co-workers could identify any. To my utter shock, their general reaction was, "What's an album cover?"

@mneeley490 posted:

I participate in a weekly trivia night at my local pub. A couple weeks ago, one of the rounds was a sheet of paper with 16 "Greatest Hits" album covers pictured, minus the names of the artist or band. They weren't easy, but my team correctly answered 13 out of 16. Far a lark, I thought I'd take it into work and see if my (mostly Gen-Z) co-workers could identify any. To my utter shock, their general reaction was, "What's an album cover?"

M, I showed this to Sylvia. She’s still laughing! 😆

We used to call the capitol of China “Peking.”  I’m not sure when or why, but for years has been called “Beijing.”  Yet, in a Chinese restaurant one still orders Peking duck.

We used to call the capitol of Ukraine “Kiev.”  Now, they call it Keev. At least that is what it sounds like, and I think it is now spelled Kjiv.  Do they still call it Chicken Kiev?

@irwin posted:

We used to call the capitol of China “Peking.”  I’m not sure when or why, but for years has been called “Beijing.”  Yet, in a Chinese restaurant one still orders Peking duck.

Maybe if you were from few hundred years ago.  The chinese characters are the same for both, only the pronounciation has changed through the centuries.

One would be a cultural significance the other would be it's current modernization form.

In mandarin, when you order peking duck.  you acutally will say beijing roast duck.

@irwin posted:

We used to call the capitol of Ukraine “Kiev.”  Now, they call it Keev. At least that is what it sounds like, and I think it is now spelled Kjiv.  Do they still call it Chicken Kiev?

Most news reporters seem to say "Keev," which is a mispronunciation.  In Ukrainian, it is more like "Kee-iv."  Not a long Keeeee, but a clipped one.  Or, Keeyiv.  It's hard to write it the way it's pronounced.

That aside, it should be OK to say Kiev.  We don't pronounce "Paris" as they would in France, nor do we say Lisboa for Lisbon, etc., etc.

@haggis posted:

Most news reporters seem to say "Keev," which is a mispronunciation.  In Ukrainian, it is more like "Kee-iv."  Not a long Keeeee, but a clipped one.  Or, Keeyiv.  It's hard to write it the way it's pronounced.

That aside, it should be OK to say Kiev.  We don't pronounce "Paris" as they would in France, nor do we say Lisboa for Lisbon, etc., etc.

Never mind Firenze or Munchen!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.